It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-15-2004, 07:14 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

andrea03 HB User
1st appt

I go for my first appt on the 18th. Just wondering what is done. I don't see the doctor, just a nurse. I will 14 weeks by then and I guess I don't quite get why I can't get into see the dr. first. What do they do? IS it to just confirm pregnancy or will I get to hear the heartbeat. I am so confused with this. Thanks for any replies.

Old 08-15-2004, 07:38 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

brwneyez9 HB User
Re: 1st appt

Some offices are different. At my office i saw the doctor and the first appt I had a pap. He talked to us about m/c, birth defects and other things to expect during pregnancy. I see my doctor at every appt. Now my sister had a baby a year ago and she saw a nurse practioner every time up until she was going every twices i think.So every office has there way of doing things.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-15-2004, 08:52 AM   #3
(female)

momatheart HB User

My first appt. was mostly consumed by a consult with the doctor about the entire pregnancy, when and how often I was going to need to see him and what I can expect, worry about and not worry about..

They also did blood work, a pap smear and an internal exam... Since your 14 wks already they will probably do an external... At 8 weeks I had my first ultrasound and at 12 weeks we heard the heartbeat... Maybe since you are further along than I was at my 1st visit you will get more done!! Hearing the heartbeat is awesome! My ultrasound at 8 wks didn't show much but I am thoroughly looking forward to the one at 18 wks!! That's when I find out the sex of the baby!!!

Good luck to you!

Old 08-15-2004, 11:32 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

andrea03 HB User

Thanks but I will see a doctor on my 2nd visit and just a nurse on the 1st. Can Nurses do pap's or ultrasounds? I hope I can hear the heartbeat. I have been a bit nervous and almost rented a dopler. Thanks again.

Old 08-17-2004, 08:47 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Dakota HB User

Our first visit we just saw the nurse....she just asked us all sorts of questions....do we want ________ testing done....if we have a boy do we want him circumsized....stuff like that....stuff you'd never even think of if they didn't ask you.

Took my weight/blood pressure/height and did the prenatal blood draw....and that was it.

They probably would have done a pap but I had mine fairly recently so she said they most likely won't do that til my 6 week post partum....

Old 08-18-2004, 11:46 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

andrea03 HB User

That is exactly what they did! I peed in a cup ,the nurse said " you're pregnant, congratulations!' Like I didn't know that allready. Went through a crap load of questions about family history and stuff. I have to get back to them on some of BF's history. Next appointment is on Tuesday for an ultra sound and blood work, the Wed. for a pap all that good violation stuff. By then I will be 14 weeks 5 days. Woo Hoo. I have been so worried lately. I guess it just didn't feel real yet, it's starting to now.

Closed Thread