It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-17-2004, 07:58 AM   #1
(female)

tiggydunc HB User
Testing for pregnancy

Hi Everyone,
I am new to the pregnancy boards. I am about 6 days late on my period and have taken two pregnancy tests that were positive. I called my gyno to schedule an appointment, but was told I need to see my primary doctor to be tested for pregnancy because I can't say I'm pregnant just by an hpt. I guess they can sometimes be inaccurate?? Is this normal? Did any of you need to see your primary doctor before your gyn?

Also, did any of you develop a cold as one sign of pregnancy?

Any advice or information you have would be greatly appreciated...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-17-2004, 09:36 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Dakota HB User
Re: Testing for pregnancy

Yep.....they want blood work from your primary doctor.

Totally normal.

And I didn't develope a cold...sorry

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-17-2004, 10:16 AM   #3
(female)

tiggydunc HB User

Yea, I think my cold just started at a bad time. I've just never had a cold in the summer, that's why I was wondering. Anyway, I thought that the gyn would test for the pregnancy. I scheduled an appointment for this Friday, so I guess I will find out if I am truly pregnant a few days after that. I'm so anxious. We have only been trying for 2 months, and I was really nervous we wouldn't be able to get pregnant - I'm paranoid like that. So, wish me luck and I hope I can join the rest of you in talks about pregnancy!!!

Old 08-17-2004, 10:29 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

LiveYourDreams HB User

Nope. I just went to my OB/GYN.

Ammalin Rose - 10.23.2004
Nevaeh Marie - 05.16.2006

Old 08-17-2004, 10:39 AM   #5
(female)

starlet32079 HB User

Yes, I also for both of my pregnancies had to have the test done at my primary doctors office. As far as the cold goes my first pregnancy I had a awful cold and the worst smell permiated in my nose that it was making me throw up. The second pregnancy I did not have a cold. I don't think you have anything to worry about. Good luck

Old 08-17-2004, 10:55 AM   #6

Navywife22 HB User

I never went to my primary Doctor. After getting a positive on my HPT, I called an OB and told them that I thought I was pregnant. They had me come in the next week and give a urine sample. I went for my first real visit a week or so after that.

I have not seen my regular doctor in a year or two since the OB becomes your primary care provider while you are pregnant.
I don't think my regular Doctor even knows that I am pregnant.

Last edited by Navywife22; 08-17-2004 at 10:55 AM.

Old 08-17-2004, 11:25 AM   #7
(female)

tiggydunc HB User

Well, I guess the gyn wants to make sure of the pregnancy before having me come in. How long does it usually take to get results back from a blood test? Also, do you just pay a regular copay or is there a fee for the bloodwork? I know I must sound naive, but this is a first for me...
Thanks!!

Old 08-17-2004, 11:50 AM   #8

WildSigns HB User

first off Congratulations Tiggydunc!!! I had just had my yearly exam and had my bloodwork done already and about a week later I found out I was pregnant (3 hpt!) so I called my primary back and she sent me back to the blood lab. I just payed the co-pay to her office for that, but your insurance might be different, look it up on-line or give them a call.
take care!

Old 08-17-2004, 01:36 PM   #9
Senior Veteran

Lawgirl HB User

My insurnce doesn't make me pay anything if I am just going in for blood work. I'm not sure why. Actually, I've had a few different health insurance plans, and I've never had to pay just for a blood draw. Good luck, and congratulations!

Old 08-17-2004, 03:40 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Dakota HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggydunc
Well, I guess the gyn wants to make sure of the pregnancy before having me come in. How long does it usually take to get results back from a blood test? Also, do you just pay a regular copay or is there a fee for the bloodwork? I know I must sound naive, but this is a first for me...
Thanks!!
I don't have to pay anything out of pocket for blood work. I think it depends on your Drs. office and insurance.

Got the results back the next day. (though with 5 + Hpts I didn't really 'need' any more results LOL)

Old 08-17-2004, 10:51 PM   #11
(female)

starlet32079 HB User

I found out my test results within a half hour at my doctors office. As far as the co-pay goes, it just depends on your insurance.

Closed Thread