It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-18-2004, 04:50 AM   #1
Veteran

happymom2b HB User
Question Is it possible to make sure you get the sex of the baby you want??

Quick question... is it possible to have a mans sperm taken, then my egg, then they can find the girl cell, fertilize the egg, then implant to make sure I have a girl? Or, can they just get the female cells out and deposit these sperms into me when I am ovulating. Just curious if anyone has heard if this exists or they have done it and how successful they were....
Ethan James born May 26th, 2004 at 3:55 p.m. weighing 7 pounds 3 ounces.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-18-2004, 05:37 AM   #2

WildSigns HB User
Re: Is it possible to make sure you get the sex of the baby you want??

hi Happy mom, I have actually never heard of that, but I could be wrong, with all the stuff they can do now, you never know. I do know thou that there is a way with BD at certain times. I have never tried it but I have heard of it working, I think that there is a book out there but I'm not sure, try doing a internet search and see what you come up with.
take care!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-18-2004, 08:35 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Blastoff9600 HB UserBlastoff9600 HB User

There is a gender selection process but it is very expensive,the fees range between 5 to 10 thousand dollars and that doesnt include the seperate fees your regular doctor would charge you for all the monitoring and IUI processes.
With X sperm(girl) your chances are a bit higher with about 88% chance of getting a girl those wanting the Y sperm(boy) the chances are a bit lower with 73% chance.
You can research it under sperm sorting or gender selection.
TTC #3 since 01/02

Old 08-18-2004, 09:00 AM   #4

sidnee74 HB User

This is what I have heard - boy sperm swim faster. So if you want a boy, have sex closer to ovulation and they will get to the egg first. If you want a girl, do it a couple days out from ovulation and the boys will "die off" before the egg is released, and the girl sperm have time to get there. Don't know if it is true or not.

Old 08-18-2004, 09:20 AM   #5
Senior Veteran

Lawgirl HB User

I think it's called the Shettler Method, named after Dr. Shettler (or is it Shettles?). He has a whole book on it. You can probably find out the title on the internet, and then go buy/borrow the book from the library. But in a nutshell, it's exactly what sidnee described, from what tiny bit I've read about it.

Old 08-19-2004, 08:15 AM   #6
Veteran

happymom2b HB User

Thanks everyone... I appreciate the responses. I just want to have a girl so so badly. We were shocked when we found out my first baby was a boy as we were convinced it was a girl. We are not planning on having another child for another year or so as I just had my baby in May. Thanks again for the responses.
Ethan James born May 26th, 2004 at 3:55 p.m. weighing 7 pounds 3 ounces.

Old 08-19-2004, 08:37 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

jmcummins3 HB User

I read an article not too long ago about how scientists can divide the x and y sperm, but don't know anyone personally who has had this done. I think there was also a special on 60 Minutes, Dateline NBC, or some other news show about it a few months ago, but I wasn't paying much attention. I think it is possible, but don't know how widespread it is in common practice.

Closed Thread