It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-18-2004, 08:15 PM   #1

cream_bun HB User
pregnant after vasectomy?

so i feel a little crazy right now. my boyfriend had a cauterized vasectomy 6 years ago and i'm paranoid that i might be pregnant (see, crazy!).

my last period started august 1st, we had intercourse on august 14th (ovulation anyone?) now 4 days later i am bleeding. not experiencing any nausea or the like, just uncharacteristic oily skin (i've never had oily skin) and the poo's. i haven't been on the pill or any other kind of contraceptive for the last 5 years (just condoms) and have never had any problems with irregular periods.

i spoke to a friend of mine who has 3 children and she informed me with her last 2 she bled a few days after her regular period.

has this happened to anyone else?

i have an appointment with planned parenthood for next week. i hate waiting!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-18-2004, 08:21 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ladybug8372 HB User
Re: pregnant after vasectomy?

all i can tell you is that vasectomies, tubals, etc do fail at times...so even the surgery is never a guarantee. the only 100% guarantees--abstinence and removal of female organs! good luck

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-19-2004, 09:28 AM   #3

cream_bun HB User

well, i did a home preggers test this morning and it was negative. so it's obviously something else, possibly a cycst or cancer or nothing!

wish me luck!

Old 08-19-2004, 10:01 AM   #4
Senior Veteran

Lawgirl HB User

If you had sex on the 14th and that is what got you pregnant, a test wouldn't show positive until AT LEAST 10 days after, but more likely 12-16 days after. Even the early response ones. I hate to tell you, but it kind of sounds like what you're having is implantation bleeding. It starts anywhere from 4-7 days after intercourse, and can last for a day or even a few days. I always read that true implantation bleeding lasts only one day, but I have had it with both pregnancies for about 4-7 days.

I think your best bet is to take a test on August 28th. If that is negative, then you're probably pretty safe.

Good luck! I hope everything turns out how you want. Keep us posted!

Old 08-19-2004, 11:13 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

LiveYourDreams HB User

Lawgirl is right. You tested wayy too early. Today is only the 19th, 4 days after you could have possibly gotten pregnant. You have to wait until about 12-16 days after you got pregnant to test.

Vasectomys do fail. When a man gets a vasectomy, sections of the two tubes are cut. Very rarely, these tubes can grow back together again and a girl can get pregnant. Also, I've heard of men sometimes having three tubes instead of two, and the doctors just cut the two tubes without knowing there were three. So the sperm still got through the third tube and the girl got pregnant.

Ammalin Rose - 10.23.2004
Nevaeh Marie - 05.16.2006

Old 08-19-2004, 06:43 PM   #6

cream_bun HB User

i was actually worried about that and considered calling the 1-800# on the box to double check.......then i jumped the gun and took the test anyway (darnit!).

i have an appointment at planned parenthood on tuesday for a pregnancy test, do you think that is still too soon to tell?? that would be 9 days after the fact.

Old 08-25-2004, 02:32 PM   #7

cream_bun HB User

so i went for another preg test at PP yesterday which came back negative. they still want me to wait and see if i skip my next period (due next week) and come in for another test. plus i was supposed to see the doc for a pap and tests today and she was out on an emergency. now i have to go to a clinic tomorrow.

man this is a pain in the butt. i wish this cramping would go away. ugh.

Old 08-26-2004, 08:32 AM   #8
Inactive
(female)

hayley0610 HB User

the same thing happened to me!! my husband had a vasectomy 8 yrs ago-we have 4 kids so no more needed i was 2 weeks late had every symptom in the book but test came out neg. this has happened a few times to me and once i went to the doc and took a test when the results came in she said she needed to see us right away!!! i was freaking!! but it turned out she just wanted his sperm count checked and stuff! i was so upset she put me through that for nothing. i doubt you are specially if the test was neg but i was surprised online to find out how high the chances are to still get pregnant! good luck and i dont think you have anything to worry about!!

Closed Thread