It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-19-2004, 07:24 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

jmcummins3 HB User
Talking Positive Pregnancy Test

I just found this board this morning after taking a positive pregnancy test. I have a 9 1/2-year-old daughter, but it's been so long since I was pregnant and I have found that a lot has changed since then. According to the due date calculator, I am due April 30, 2005.

I found it odd that my OB/GYN won't schedule an appointment before I'm 8-10 weeks along, and my first appointment is with a nurse/mid-wife. When I was pregnant with my daughter, my doctor wanted to see me right away, but I couldn't get in until 5 weeks. Does anyone else think this timeframe for a first visit to a new doctor is off, or is that normal these days?

Old 08-19-2004, 07:31 AM   #2
(female)

tiggydunc HB User
Re: Positive Pregnancy Test

Iím guessing itís normal. My gyn doesnít want to see me until I am 8 weeks. I guess the chance of miscarriage is smaller?? Or maybe because they canít really tell/show you much in the first few weeks of pregnancy? This is my first pregnancy and I thought it was weird to be seen at 8 weeks, but after reading posts on here and researching on the internet, it seems like that is the normal timeframe these days.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-19-2004, 07:42 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Dakota HB User

I think it's pretty normal. my ob didn't want to see me til I was atleast close to 8 weeks...so I saw them at 7 1/2

Old 08-19-2004, 07:45 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

jmcummins3 HB User

Thanks for the feedback. I guess back when I had my daughter, they confirmed the pregnancy, gave me a "What to Expect When You're Expecting" book (do they even still do that?) and a script for prenatal vitamins and outlined nutrition, etc. for a healthy pregnancy, and they wanted to do that as soon as possible in the pregnancy. My 2nd appointment then was at 8 weeks. I guess with the accuracy of home pregnancy tests these days (my period isn't even due until Saturday but I already got a positive result), they don't feel the need to schedule appointments sooner.

Old 08-19-2004, 07:46 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

jmcummins3 HB User

Thanks! That helps to know this is normal practice now. I'm just impatient...LOL!

Old 08-19-2004, 07:49 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

MandyAnne26 HB User

My doctor never wanted to see me early on, i would assume if you had a history of complications, misscarriages etc then they would want to see you, but really if you think about it there really isn't anything they can do that early on. My doctor said vitamins aren't too important early on because the baby is so small and really doesn't have that great of a nutritional requirement (other than folic acid to prevent tube defects), they can't hear the heartbeat, and an ultrasound doesn't show much. Generaly unless the doctor wants to check your hormone levels or just has a preference for a blood test all they would do is a urine test anyway. So really other than as a comfort to the mother there generaly isn't any need to go right away..i think i was about 3 months along before i saw the doctor with my last 2 kids.

Old 08-19-2004, 08:26 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

jmcummins3 HB User

Okay, I feel much better now. Thanks! I have been taking folic acid since we have been trying to get pregnant. I feel pregnant, so I guess that's comfort for now.

Old 08-19-2004, 11:21 AM   #8
Veteran

Falynsmommy HB User

Congratulations! I just wanted to write because of how much we seem to have in common. My oldest daughter is also 9 and a half and I just had my second daughter on April 30, 2004. LOL!

My doctor also wouldn't see me until I was 12 weeks along (past the danger point), and my first appointment right after the positive home test was with the nurse. She took blood, another pg test just to confirm, took my history, and gave me prenatals.

It had been so long since I was pregnant and had a baby that I had forgotten everything, like you. Everything seems alot different now too. I had forgotten all the aches and pains of pregnancy, how the first movement felt, and what was normal and what was not. These boards saved my sanity. LOL!

I wish you a happy, healthy, wonderful pregnancy, and hopefully we can talk again.

Mandy

Old 08-19-2004, 12:50 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

jmcummins3 HB User

Thank you so much for responding! That is a huge coincidence. Is it okay if we e-mail directly as well as post on the boards? I feel like I'm out of place being pregnant again when my kids will be 10 years apart. It's nice to know that I'm not the only one who waited so long to have another one. Even though I'm already a mom, it's been so long since I was pregnant, I feel like this is all new. I have forgotten everything and things have changed.

My first appointment with the nurse is at 8-10 weeks. I don't know when I'll see the doctor. No script for prenatal vitamins, no questions about my habits, medications, etc. that could be harmful to my pregnancy, and I've never been to THIS OB/GYN before, so they don't know anything about me or my previous problem pregnancy. Thankfully, I mentioned to my previous doctor that we were going to start trying long before we did and I had a pre-pregnancy check-up and a Rubella immunization last December. Otherwise, I'd be freaked out.

Old 08-20-2004, 02:07 PM   #10
Veteran

Falynsmommy HB User

I completely understand how you feel about your kids being spaced so far apart. It's like starting over but it is well worth it, plus my 9 year old is the best helper. She is old enough to entertain the baby while I'm doing something else, or change a diaper if I can't get it right then. She can even feed her sister. We in no way "make" her help out, she is just at that age where she wants to and its great.

I would love to be able to email directly, but exchanging emails on these boards or even posting another website without a Moderators permission are both against the rules on this site and they are strict about it. I've met many people that I would love to talk to outside this site but can't. Guess we'll just have to talk here. I'd love to keep in touch though because we do have so much in common.

You can buy prenatal vitamins over the counter at most stores. That is what I took because the doctor prescribed ones made me sick. I would do that until you see the doctor, that way you can at least feel like you're doing something. You also mentioned a previous problem pregnancy...what happened? Hope to talk to you again soon but right now the baby is "singing" and we have to go out to dinner for my dad's birthday.

Take care,
Mandy

Old 08-20-2004, 02:13 PM   #11

lil miss HB User

congratulations hun!

i know i would feel strange being prega's now with a large age gap (my daughters 8) things do change ut you will be fine

wish you all the best x

Old 08-21-2004, 09:37 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

jmcummins3 HB User

I guess I didn't realize that I couldn't post my e-mail address or e-mail anyone directly. Thanks for letting me know.

Thanks for responding and sharing your situation with me. It's funny how many similarities there are! My daughter is exstatic about having a little brother or sister! I wouldn't make her help either, but she has expressed several times wanting to. I ended up calling another doctor and scheduling an appointment with her, because I didn't get the warm fuzzies from the office I first called. They called in a script for prenatal vitamins and were very helpful. They will do an Ultrasound at 8 weeks to see the baby's heartbeat and make sure everything is okay.

With my first pregnancy, I had multiple concerns, but I am more prepared and equipped with info this time around. The umbilical cord had a vein and one artery and it should have had a vein and 2 arteries (I think that's how it should have been). It was detected in the first Ultrasound at 20 weeks and my doctor stressed me out telling me that it could be a fluke thing or the baby could die shortly after birth of heart or kidney failure. I went for amnio, but freaked out at the possibility of miscarriage from the test, so I had a bazillion Ultrasounds and 4 doctors on call when I went into labor instead. My OB/GYN years later (different doc) said that they should have seen that I have a pelvic kidney (fully functioning, just in an unusual place) and known to look for the placement of the baby's organs instead of stressing me out for the 2nd half of my pregnancy over something that turned out to be nothing. I also was anemic and had migraines every day (some so severe I was in the hospital), but it was misdiagnosed as toxemia, so I suffered. I know these things now, so I'm hoping for a lot smoother pregnancy this time around.

Old 08-21-2004, 09:41 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

jmcummins3 HB User

Thanks for responding. It is strange, but it feels right now. When I had my daughter, my relationship with her dad was so rocky that we ended up in divorce. Now, I am finally in a good marriage and my husband and I really wanted to have a child together. It feels right all the way around, although my original plan was not to have my kids so far apart in age. I think we'll probably try for another one shortly after this one so they will be a lot closer in age instead of having 2 "only" children (my daughter was an only child for a long time and when she goes off to college, I'll have an 8-year-old "only" child at home).

Old 08-21-2004, 11:03 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

andrea03 HB User

I got into see the nurse at 13 weeks 5 days and see the doctor at 14 weeks 5 days. They didn't seem all too concerned about it other than they wanted to get an U/S asap. So I shall have that done at 14 weeks 4 days. Good luck to you.

Closed Thread