It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-19-2004, 09:56 PM   #1

bbear HB User
Question Is this Doc wrong???

Hello
My 22 year old DIL is expecting her first baby...Due date was today! She has been dilated to one cm ..now for three weeks.....The Dr has told her to walk etc ...to get the labor going.......She took a terrible fall today and ended up in the ER...Thank Goodness she and the baby were ok.......The thing is ....they did an ultra sound and told her the baby is around 9 pounds 8 oz! This is a big baby.......She has ask the her Dr to induce labor....she begged him today...yet he said NO... .....Why would this Dr say No??? It seems the baby at the weight he is would need to come on out! If she keeps going like this.....no telling what this little guy will weigh........Is this Dr wrong for keeping this pregnancy going ????? Thanks ........

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-19-2004, 10:32 PM   #2
Senior Veteran

Chrissi HB User
Re: Is this Doc wrong???

in my opinion YES he is wrong, i know at my local hospital will induce at 38 weeks along if that is what the mother wants because 38 weeks is plenty of time in the oven for the baby.
it can actually be bad for the baby to be in there to long becuase the amniotic fluid will decrease.
and also the placenta can no longer give the baby the nourishment it needs to gain weight and it will begin to lose weight.

and personally, i walked my but OFF to induce my labor....yeah right!!!!
but i tried nipple stimulation (sometimes you have to do it for HOURS for it to work)
and my water broke in 5 hours of it (i only had to do it 30 min.)

this baby being this large may cause your sis one ferocious labor....and it may end in c cection if he cant get through the birth canal...

IMO---- she needs a second opinion....

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-20-2004, 06:36 AM   #3
Veteran

happymom2b HB User

He was so so wrong... it is HER choice... epsecially if she is at her due date... there is also the threat of maconium (sp?). Have her call her doctor and make the request. Keep us posted.
Ethan James born May 26th, 2004 at 3:55 p.m. weighing 7 pounds 3 ounces.

Old 08-20-2004, 07:57 AM   #4

WildSigns HB User

Hi bbear, my due date was Sunday (the 15th) and the last u/s I had showed the baby being 8lbs 10oz, since this is my first baby I figured they would have induced me too since I am only 5'2 and baby's grow 1 oz a day, but my regular ob is on vacation (convieniently) until monday. I went to see his partner yesterday and I am only 2 centimeters dialated and 60 percent effaced. I begged him almost to the point of a bribe to induce me, but he wants me to wait until monday to see what my regular ob says. I am living proof that the old wives tales do not work, I have tried it all.....walking, eating chinese and mexican food, driving down bumpy roads.....all in the same day too!! but nothing.
I guess it all depends on the doctor(s) keep us updated!
take care.

Old 08-20-2004, 08:09 AM   #5
Senior Veteran

Chrissi HB User

yeah the walking spicy foods and bumpy roads...all crap. i just read a recent study saying that none of these will jump start labor.

but nipple stimulation causes a hormone to be releaced into the body which can start labor....
also haveing intercourse.
semen have a product in them which can help to dialate you....

so grab your hubby/partner and try both....believe me, i know lots of people who got labor rolling by these two things alone!

Old 08-20-2004, 08:13 AM   #6
Senior Veteran

Chrissi HB User

one other thing....i know nipple stimulation was what got my labor going because i wasnt even to my due date (i was 37 weeks) but i wanted my baby here....so i got her here.!
(well that and i put in a very sincere prayer to God right before i went to bed that night....i could suggest that too maybe )

Old 08-20-2004, 08:19 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

nyxin HB Usernyxin HB Usernyxin HB User

i just wanted to tell you that i went over my DD and although my baby wasn't that big, i did have some complications when i finally went into labor. i am not saying that each woman should be able to be induced on a whim, but in her case i would say that the doctor has a golf game he doen't want to miss. we as women must take a more proactive role against complacient (sp?) doctors. if you don't like what is happening demand better service. they work for you remember? i know that no one wants to jump ship right at the end, but if your doctor is making bad choices then you are obligated to get a 2nd opinion for the welfare of you and your baby---

believe me, if i knew then what i know now i would not have had a 31 hour labor, get a near fatal infection and my son would not have had to be brought back to life at birth. if you don't like that way things are---don't lie down, fight for your rights!
C-Section Aug 1st 08 with baby BOY #3
OMG!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 08-20-2004, 09:52 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Blastoff9600 HB UserBlastoff9600 HB User

First you have to remember u/s can be wrong on sizes. I cant tell you the number of times I have heard of friends who were cscared to death because they were told the baby was large...only to deliver babies that were all under 7 pounds. My poor neighbor was scared silly with her first chidl because the
u/s. She was told that he was going to be over 9 lbs and that since she was so small that she would need a c-section. She came home from that appointment in tears because she was scared. It took quite a while to calm her down. That was the week before her due date. Well a few days after her due date she went into labor and her son's weight was barely over 5 lbs. The same thing happened with her second and yet again she was barely over 5 lbs.
As for inducing a lot of doctors dont like to induce when it comes to first time pregnancies. They like to let the body do things naturally unless of course there are problems or one goes to far overdue.
Another thing to remember is many first timers tend to go over when it comes to due dates.
TTC #3 since 01/02

Old 08-20-2004, 09:55 AM   #9
Senior Veteran

jstpeachey79 HB User

I agree with Blastoff. The ultrasounds can be really wrong on the size. and alot of places will not induce until 39 weeks and that is usually because of medical reasons.
DD Born 8-13-04

Old 08-20-2004, 01:58 PM   #10

elvispupy HB User

Inductions can cause fetal distress, increase your chance of cesarean and in rare cases even cause uterine rupture even in women without previous cesareans. Babies who are induced and are a little pre-term can have nursing and breathing problems. Ultrasounds can be wrong on size. So it is prudent for a doctor not to induce based on ultrasound for estimated fetal weight alone.

Old 08-20-2004, 02:40 PM   #11
Veteran
(female)

LiveYourDreams HB User

I don't think it's wrong. If this is her due date, she's not overdue yet, so why should they induce her? A lot of doctors don't induce until 10 days past the due date. The weight they give you when you get an u/s is ESTIMATED. They are not very accurate. I've seen babies that are estimated to be 8lbs and they're born and they're only 6lbs. 38 weeks may be plenty of time for some people but not for others. If it were, then why is 40 weeks your due date?

Ammalin Rose - 10.23.2004
Nevaeh Marie - 05.16.2006

Old 08-20-2004, 08:37 PM   #12

bbear HB User

Hi All
Thank you all for replying! My DIL called her Dr today and told him flat out "I want a C-section...I can hardly move"....the mucas plug is starting to come out! He said he would consult w/ his associates and call her back.....He called back within the hour and told her that they would discuss this at her next appt...which is Friday.......She is so miserable right now.....I will do my best to tell her about the nipple twisting, ........I think right now she would stand on her head , if she thought it would work........I hope the birth weight is lower then what they are saying...9 pounds plus is a big baby! So I'll keep you guys up to date on whats going on...I can only hope this Ob/Gyn knows what he is doing Thank's again
Tracy

Old 08-21-2004, 10:57 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

Zayazmama HB User

The doc sounds like a quack. OUCH......

My sis was over on her delivery date and they wouldnt start her...she drake caster oil. She said it was NASTY, but i sure did start her. Or, I agree with doing what got her here in the first place....get busy....lol....

Hope she is enjoying her new little baby soon!!

Old 08-23-2004, 01:21 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

barton93 HB User

My ultrasound with my 1st child was wrong. I was told I was having a 7 lb baby and 2 days later she was born and weighed 9 lbs. With my 2nd child, they were pretty much on the head........maybe a few ounces off.

My sister in law on the other hand was told she was having an 8 lb baby and her child was born at 39 weeks weighing just over 4lbs!!! They were way off with her.

So, don't count on the weight being right. It can be way off.

Old 08-23-2004, 09:23 AM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

siren1024 HB User

I second the nipple stimulation. I was due to be induced at 39 weeks so I could have the baby before DH shipped out with the military. Thinking I'd help my cervix along, I tried nipple stimulation. Off and on for a couple hours. I contracted irregularly all night, and the next morning my water broke at 37 1/2 weeks. We're kind of glad because he was born weighing 7'7 2 1/2 weeks early. Dr.'s thought he might've been a 9 lb baby since he weighed 9 lbs 5 ozs at a check up right around his due date.

Also I agree with the U/S measurements. They can be WAY off. My cousin's baby was delivered by c-section at 38 weeks because they thought he had IUGR and there was something wrong with her placenta. The u/s showed that he only weighed a little over 5lbs. He was born at 38 weeks weighing 7.7 also.
My OB wouldn't even make a weight guess because he was always wrong, and u/s can be off 25% in either direction.
DD born 3/24/2005

Closed Thread