It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-21-2004, 12:47 PM   #1

fatally yours HB User
Unhappy Getting a job while pregnant

I'm a little worried that when I move in a couple months, I won't be able to find a job. I know that it's illegal for employers to discriminate based on pregnancy, but there are so many ways around that. As long as they blame it on something else and don't come right out and say, "We're not going to hire you because you're pregnant," there's nothing I can do. I just know that in two months, I'm going to be showing to the point where it'll be pretty hard to hide. I'm really small, and, to be honest, I'm surprised I'm not popping out a little already. And being small like this just makes it harder to hide. So what should I do? Try to hide it? Or no? Do any of you have any experience with finding a job while pregnant? How hard is it?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-21-2004, 01:16 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

jmcummins3 HB User
Re: Getting a job while pregnant

I have not tried to get a job while pregnant, but you don't have to tell them you are and it's illegal for them to ask anything about your family or marital status. How far along will you be then? I am also small and have a 9 1/2 year-old daughter. I started showing at about 3-4 months, but not noticeably until between 5 and 6 and I could still sort of hide it. That was the first time around. I am only 4 weeks pregnant as of today with this pregnancy.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-21-2004, 03:48 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

brwneyez9 HB User
Re: Getting a job while pregnant

I really thought the same thing. I applyed for a new job in July and i am due in September. There was no way for me to hide the fact i was pregnant. She called me for an interview and i explained up front that i was pregnant and i know that they can't discrimated aganist that, but i also understood if she needed someone else. She interviewed my that friday and the next wed. I had a new job. When the baby comes i will have only have been there 2 months and she is completely fine with my taking more then 6 weeks off. I am taking 8. I think you would be suprised on how understanding employers will be. You may think well she is a women. She is business women and her job is very think to her (DR (mouth)) and has no children.I think if you can go in a wow them too that will help. I feel like i did that with her and she choose me based on my experience and skills. Took in pictures of my work. Do what you want. I think being up front helped me. Try not to worry you will get a job.

Last edited by brwneyez9; 08-21-2004 at 03:49 PM.

Closed Thread