It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-21-2004, 11:51 AM   #1
(female)

mrsb816 HB User
air bags dangerous?

My MIL asked me yesterday if I had my air bag in my car disconnected b/c she heard that they can be dangerous in the later stages of pregnancy (I'm 33 wks). I had never heard of this being a problem before but now I'm concerned. Does anyone know if this is something I should actually worry about? Thanks.

Old 08-21-2004, 12:03 PM   #2

fatally yours HB User
Re: air bags dangerous?

I've wondered the same thing! You'd think that with the extreme force that those things pop out with, that it could be very dangerous to your belly and the baby inside. My mom's boss was in a wreck a couple years ago and the airbag came out, and she was left with a black eye, the entire left side of her face was black and blue, and so was her chest (basically from the ribs up). It took her quite a while to heal. She wasn't pregnant, but just imagine if she had been...

But then at the same time, I can't really remember hearing anything about making sure to have them disconnected if pregnant. Hopefully someone out there will know...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-21-2004, 12:12 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

jmcummins3 HB User

I know that the passenger side air bag turns on and off, but does the driver's side? I hadn't even thought about that until reading your post. Thanks for posing the question. If you find any more info, please post it for the rest of us.

Old 08-21-2004, 05:06 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

brwneyez9 HB User

I did a little research on this subject on the internet. I have read that you shouldn't turn off the airbags. You should sit 10inches way from the airbag or stearing wheel. Tilting the seat or moving the seat back. This would be a great question for our doctors.

Old 08-21-2004, 05:18 PM   #5

fatally yours HB User

Well that means I'm screwed! I'm really short (almost 5'2) and my car is a manual so I have to sit pretty close to be able to push the clutch in all the way. I guess I could get a um... what's it called... well a thingy put on the clutch so that it's higher up, and I don't have to be as close to push it in all the way.

But yes, I'll definitely ask my doctor about it at my appointment!

Old 08-21-2004, 10:13 PM   #6
(female)

mrsb816 HB User

Thanks for looking into it brwneyez. I really appreciate you taking the time to. I suppose I should have thought of that myself. I will atleast move my seat back for now. I have a dr. appointment on Friday so if nobody else hears anything definate by then I'll be sure to ask and post it on here.

Old 08-22-2004, 07:07 AM   #7
Senior Veteran

Lawgirl HB User

From the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration:

Answers to an expectant mother's common questions about traffic safety.
QUESTION: Should I turn off the airbag?

ANSWER: No. Doctors recommend that pregnant women wear seat belts and leave the air bag switch on; they work together to protect both the mother and the unborn baby in a crash.

Old 08-22-2004, 03:55 PM   #8
Senior Veteran

Lawgirl HB User

Airbags are really only dangerous when people don't do what they're supposed to do. There are always exceptions to the rule, but that is basically the truth. Of course, I don't know anything about your cousin or her situation, and I'm not trying to say she did anything wrong.

I was just looking up info from the NHTSA.:
In the past 14 years, 246 people have been killed by arbags, and over 12,000 (possibly as many as 15,500) lives have been saved by airbags.

Of those killed, 129 were children not in proper car seats.
At LEAST 56 of the 246 people killed were adult drivers not using the seat belt or were using it improperly.
7 of the 246 were unbelted passengers
That means 192 out of 246 (78%) people killed by airbags in 14 years were not doing what they were supposed to. I'll take those odds any day.
Only ONE fetus is reported as dying from an airbag, and the mother was unbelted. It doesn't say how far along mom was.

Again, from the NHTSA:
What if I'm pregnant? Should I disconnect my air bag? No, not unless you are a member of a risk group. Pregnant women should follow the same advice as other adults: buckle up and stay back from the air bag. The lap belt should be positioned low on the abdomen, below the fetus, with the shoulder belt worn normally. Pull any slack out of the belt. Just as for everyone else, the greatest danger to a pregnant woman comes from slamming her head, neck or chest on the steering wheel in a crash. When crashes occur, the fetus can be injured by striking the lower rim of the steering wheel or from crash forces concentrated in the area where a seat belt crosses the mother's abdomen. By helping to restrain the upper chest, the seat belt will keep a pregnant woman as far as possible from the steering wheel. The air bag will spread out the crash forces that would otherwise be concentrated by the seat belt.

Just my opinion, but I guess like anything else, you just have to take all the information you have available to you, and make the best decision you can. I hope this helps!

Last edited by Lawgirl; 08-22-2004 at 04:00 PM.

Closed Thread