It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-24-2004, 10:38 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

blue_eyed_girl HB User
Only at night

Sleeping, as I sure most of you know, is very uncomfortable. I have tried pillows and still manage to wake up with aching hips or knees. I try to lay on my right side, put it is almost impossible. I know I am not suppose to lie on my back, so when I wake up, I think I will lie on my back for just a few minutes to ease the pain, but end up falling asleep. More than once, I have woke up with an exrutiating pain in my back. It is about the level of me belly button my right side. If I roll back on my left side, it will eventually go away.

Is lying on my back causing this? If not, what is?

Thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-24-2004, 11:21 AM   #2
Senior Veteran

cee27 HB User
Re: Only at night

it might be..

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-24-2004, 11:29 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

nyxin HB Usernyxin HB Usernyxin HB User

you are supposed to lay on your LEFT side. you can pinch some nerves and blood vessels on the right and on your back. you may have to start to sleep in a recliner with pillows on your right side to angle you to the left.
C-Section Aug 1st 08 with baby BOY #3
OMG!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 08-24-2004, 11:30 AM   #4
Senior Veteran

cee27 HB User

i finally had to stop sleeping on my stomach last week..i figure i didn't have much belly..i wasn't going to hurt anything or anyone
i woke up sore as hell

Last edited by cee27; 08-24-2004 at 11:32 AM.

Old 08-24-2004, 11:41 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

blue_eyed_girl HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyxin
you are supposed to lay on your LEFT side. you can pinch some nerves and blood vessels on the right and on your back. you may have to start to sleep in a recliner with pillows on your right side to angle you to the left.
I know. Laying on your back puts pressure on the pelvic artery/vein that pumps blood to your heart. That is why I thinks "just for a minute" and then I fall asleep.

The recliner is a good idea. I don't have one, though. I'll just have to put up with aches from laying on my left side until I can figure something else out.

Thanks.

Old 08-24-2004, 11:54 AM   #6
Veteran

lilmom HB User

My sister (Mother of 4) always loved to use four pillows and position them so that there was a whole in the middle for her belly, adn she would lay of her stomach, she did this up until she delivered. I tried, didn't like it, but maybe you could try it. Sleeping on you belly is fien just as long as it doesn't hurt, it won't hur the baby Good luck
Lilmom
DH returning from OIF November 2006!

Old 08-24-2004, 12:06 PM   #7
(female)

mrsb816 HB User

I am also having a lot of trouble sleeping on my side. I start out on my side but wake up on my back atleast once a night. I've tried putting a pillow behind me so I don't roll over but I think I must knock it out of the way in my sleep. I feel so guilty and worry that I may be hurting the baby but I can't help it. I don't know what to do. And the last few nights when I've tried to sleep on my left side my arm has been going kind of numb, like its "asleep". Its just so frustrating and uncomfortable.

Old 08-24-2004, 01:08 PM   #8
(female)

Mommy2Isaiah HB User

Lying on your left side is the best side, not only b/c of the pressure on your arteries and such, but b/c it gets more oxygen to your baby. I'm not sure why, but that's what I've read and my doc told me. Also, get a pillow and put it between your legs. I was uncomfortable and got a body pillow, and snuggled up to it like I was giving it a big hug. I moved my right leg on top of the pillow and was almost sleeping on my stomach b/c of the position I ended up in. This was so comfortable, that I didn't have ANY problems sleeping from being uncomfortable, just from throwing up in the middle of the night. I hope this helps you.

Nicole
The way to love anything is to realize that it might be lost

Old 08-24-2004, 10:21 PM   #9
(female)

BigMomma24 HB User

I read that sleeping on your back does not cause harm to the baby, that is just a myth. Laboring on your back is not good, but sleeping should be ok. I can't sleep in ANY position... the heartburn and nausea keeps me awake (yay!)

Old 08-25-2004, 06:49 AM   #10
Veteran

happymom2b HB User

I ended up sleeping in a recliner for the last month of my pregnancy.... it was so hard to sleep in a bed with the hip pain... I would wkae up every hour because of it. I hope you get a good nights sleep soon!
Ethan James born May 26th, 2004 at 3:55 p.m. weighing 7 pounds 3 ounces.

Old 08-25-2004, 11:10 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

blue_eyed_girl HB User

Thanks for all the comments and advice. I still manage to wake up on my back. Maybe I should lie against the wall so I can't roll over .

Old 08-25-2004, 11:56 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

nyxin HB Usernyxin HB Usernyxin HB User

i just read a thing on pregnancy myths and the whole left side...right side...laying on your back was in there. it said that the whole "scare" got started in the 1960's and started from a study done on laboring flat on your back. the article i just read was backed by several doctors and it stated that although some blood flow may be reduced on your back or right side, it is an insignificant amount. the womans body will adjust if need be, even in your sleep. i guess that makes sense, i mean in the "olden" days they didn't fear being on one side or the other right? the article said that it was more important for you to get rest than to fret all night about your position.
C-Section Aug 1st 08 with baby BOY #3
OMG!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 08-25-2004, 12:02 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

blue_eyed_girl HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyxin
i just read a thing on pregnancy myths and the whole left side...right side...laying on your back was in there. it said that the whole "scare" got started in the 1960's and started from a study done on laboring flat on your back. the article i just read was backed by several doctors and it stated that although some blood flow may be reduced on your back or right side, it is an insignificant amount. the womans body will adjust if need be, even in your sleep. i guess that makes sense, i mean in the "olden" days they didn't fear being on one side or the other right? the article said that it was more important for you to get rest than to fret all night about your position.
Thanks. That is great info.

Old 08-28-2004, 05:15 PM   #14

happygrl HB User

Hi everyone,
I have just read all the replies and I just want to be clear on something. I have always slept on my stomach and then I read about not sleeping on your back. I guess I figured that on my stomach or on my back were like the same body position just reversed. So I tried to start sleeping on my left side as suggested in the article. The article also said that the second best position is on your right side. I have not been sleeping well as I find sleeping on my side so uncomfortable. I also wake up and find myself on my back and feel bad. I have tried hugging a pillow and it is easier to fall asleep on my side, but I still turn to my back. My main question is-Is it really Ok to sleep on my stomach? I am only 7 weeks so i haven't gotten any bigger there yet and it is the most comfortable for me. Thanks.

Old 08-28-2004, 05:29 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

Zayazmama HB User

You can sleep on your stomach. As much research will show, it is safe for your baby - especially at only 7 weeks. The further along you get, it may not be comfortable anymore, though. Right now, however you can sleep is best, I would say. As you get further along, you may want to try using a body pillow or something, it should help you in your position of sleeping. And try (I know it is hard because i have the same problem) to sleep on your left side, as it will aid in getting the proper about of blood and oxygen to your baby.

Good luck hun!

Closed Thread