It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-24-2004, 08:07 PM   #1

fatally yours HB User
Swimming, hot tubs, etc.

Okay, so pregnant women should avoid hot tubs because they can increase the risk of miscarriage, right? And as far as I understand, the reason for that is because the extreme heat raises your body temperature so much so that it can be very dangerous to your baby. Is that correct? Does that mean I should also avoid warm/hot baths? What about hot showers? (And by "hot," I don't mean scalding... just a little more than warm.)

What about swimming in a pool? I'm going to go visit my boyfriend this weekend and there's a pool at his apartment complex so I was hoping I'd be able to get in. It's not a heated pool; in fact, he said that the water is pretty cold. So can cold water also be harmful to the baby? If so, I won't do it. I just thought it'd be best to ask first!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-24-2004, 08:14 PM   #2
(female)

Mommy2Isaiah HB User
Re: Swimming, hot tubs, etc.

As far as I know, cold water is ok, as long as YOU are not frozen completely . Yes, hot tubs are bad for the pg b/c it raises your body temp too high. Hot baths are not good, either. Hot showers should be fine as long as you aren't in it long enough to turn your body red or start sweating (I've done that). Swimming in a pool is actually good for you for exercise since it is no/low impact.
The way to love anything is to realize that it might be lost

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-24-2004, 09:46 PM   #3
Senior Veteran

Lawgirl HB User
Re: Swimming, hot tubs, etc.

I think a warm bath is ok too, just not too hot. I think the idea is that you don't want to raise your body temp much above 100. I like really hot baths, so hot I'm dizzy when I get out, but of course I have cut that out. I think warm is ok (like cool enough where you can just get straight in the water- you don't have to ease yourself in toe by toe). Swimming is definitely ok.

Closed Thread