It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-25-2004, 12:32 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

WhiskersOnKittens HB User
Red face Please help me! Dr. said I might be....

Hi ladies,
I appologize in advance for the length of this post....
Today I went in for a routine pap test at the doctors, and when he was doing the thing where they stick a couple fingers inside of you, and feel upwards (towards the uterus), he asked me if I was pregnant. I said that I wasn't, and he asked me if I ever had been (if I had any children). I told him that I hadn't, so he said that I should go get a urine test because he thought I may be pregnant from my uterus being "larger than normal" (there were a couple of other symptoms that I mentioned to him, but I thought they were from a different brand of BCP's that I'm trying--they are INCREASED appetite, and my skin has broken out a little bit, when that is not normal for me). Now, I've never been to this doctor before, so I don't really know how to read him yet, and I know there's a good possibility I'm not--mainly because I'm on the pill. He said that pregnancies DO occur on the pill, so I'd better just go get the test--better safe than sorry. Now, I have to wait until tomorrow afternoon to get the test, and I am just so anxious to find out my results that if you guys could PLEASE answer a couple of questions for me, that would be AWESOME. Then I'd have at least a little bit more info, to hold me over until I get the results back.
1. I'm going to a clinic (I live in Alberta, Canada) where they do blood tests, and urine tests, and whenever I've had a blood test there (never had a urine test before), they had to send the results back to my dr. and if anything was wrong, he'd call me and let me know. So does that mean I have to wait a few days to find out the results of my urine test as well? Or do you think they can tell me right there? I would take a HPT, but I haven't missed a period yet (I'm due next week to get AF), so I don't think it would be very accurate.
2. The doctor knows that I'm currently taking birth control pills, and he didn't tell me NOT to take them until after I find out my test results (which would mess up my cycle BIG TIME, especially since I really don't think I am), so should I just continue taking them? Does anybody know how much this could harm an unborn baby? I am really worried about this one--especially if I have to wait a few days to find out my results, I don't know if I should continue taking my pills or not .
3. I got kicked in the lower abdomen tonight (by my 16 year old, immature sister), and it was quite hard. I'm really worried that that may have done something to the baby if there is one, what do you guys think??
Those are all the questions I can think of for now... Please, if you have ANY comments, let me know--I am basically searching for anything right now that might ease my anxiety. Thanks for taking the time to read this!

Whiskers

P.S. I would LOVE to be pregnant--timing could definitely be better for me and my fiance, that's why I'm on the pill, but I've had baby fever for like, 2 years now. And after talking with him about it, he assured me that everything would be ok, and he would be happy too

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-25-2004, 06:20 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

MandyAnne26 HB User
Re: Please help me! Dr. said I might be....

If you get a urine test they should be able to tell you right away, a blood test takes longer because they have to send it to a lab and lab work generaly gets passed to your doctor first. You could take an hpt, that is all the doctors at a clinic are going to give you, they don't have fancy more accurite ones, they use basicly the same ones you buy at the drugstore. I'm not sure about taking the pill while pregnant, obviously it's not needed generaly, but many women take it before they know they are pregnant and the babies are fine. Just get the test asap.
If something were done to the baby you'd know it, you'd have cramping, possibly bleeding. The babies are more hearty than we give them credit for, esp when they are tiny. Be careful of course, but chances are the baby is fine...if there is one.

Old 08-25-2004, 06:47 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

jmcummins3 HB User

It is possible to get pregnant on the pill, and certain things like antibiotics decrease the pill's effectiveness as well. I don't think there is any harm in taking the pill until you know for sure, but I would definitely ask your doctor. The urine test that they would do at the clinic is the same as the home pregnancy tests you would buy at the drug store, so they probably won't be able to detect a pregnancy until closer to your expected period date either. A blood test would be able to detect it. With that being said, there is a home pregnancy test that you can take up to 4 days before your period is due. It's called First Response Early Result. That might help to ease your mind a little earlier. I hope you get the results you want!

Old 08-25-2004, 06:58 AM   #4
Veteran

happymom2b HB User

In Canada, at least in Ontario, they tell you nothing! They use a dipstick method to tell if you are pregnant, not a hpt... again, this is in ONtario. They tell you to call your doctor. I would try an HPT anyways, I did a week before AF was due and it showed a faint positive. Good luck and let us know how you make out.
Ethan James born May 26th, 2004 at 3:55 p.m. weighing 7 pounds 3 ounces.

Old 08-25-2004, 08:25 AM   #5
Inactive
(female)

hayley0610 HB User

im in edmonton...i would think since u havent missed a period yet im not sure if he would even able to tell cause that would mean you literally JUST got pregnant! i know plenty of people that got prego on the pill!! im surprised you have to wait till today for results! i wouldve gone to the pharmacy and gotten a test but chances are you arent. i went and had an internal done before and the doc said she felt a huge fibroid and id have to have a hystorectomy!!!! i went and had an ultrasound done and i had nothing at all! just a tilted bigger uterus!! so that goes to tell you what they feel isnt always right!! but im curious to find out what happens!

Old 08-25-2004, 09:04 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi everyone,
Thanks for the replies so far, any others are welcome as well. Well, my fiance and I came to the conclusion last night that we seriously doubt I am pregnant. It'll be a little dissapointing to get a negative result, even though it's something I never had..... I guess I'll know for sure soon enough anyways, if they can't give me my results today, I'm due for my period next week, and if it doesn't come then I guess I have my answer... I'm going to call the clinic this morning before I go in and ask them if they can tell me my results right after it's done, or if they have to send the results to my doctor. I sure hope not, it would be hard to wait that long to know for sure, even though they might not be able to give me accurate results, since I haven't missed a period....
I'll be sure to keep you guys updated!

Whiskers

Old 08-25-2004, 12:23 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Okay well, just to update--I called the clinic this morning, and they said that they don't give out ANY results to patients, they send it back to the doctor. So, I'm pretty dissapointed that I won't know until most likely sometime next week, and by then it'll almost be time for my period.... Oy vei. I wish there was a way to know sooner. Anyways, I'll keep you guys updated, and since I won't be recieving my results for awhile, PLEASE keep the replies coming--they're all comforting to read, no matter what is being said really, just knowing that you guys know where I'm coming from.

Whiskers

Old 08-25-2004, 01:24 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

dh22 HB User

they did that too me once and found out i had a fibroid.

Old 08-25-2004, 03:37 PM   #9
Senior Veteran

Lawgirl HB User

are home pregnancy tests very expensive in Canada? Here we can get a pack of two of the First Response Early Result (which I think are the most expensive kind) for about $17. Sometimes less if they are on sale. Often, the more you spend the more sensitive they are and the sooner they can show positive. If you really don't want to wait (and who would?!?) you can go get a home test at the pharmacy. I've heard from other posters that hpts are expensive in other countries, so maybe this isn't an option. I'm not sure. Just a thought!
Good luck!

Old 08-25-2004, 04:04 PM   #10
(female)

flutterby2574 HB User

Hi Whiskers,
Wow....poor you!!! And you were just going in for an annual!! Yikes....I have mine coming up on the 9th...oh boy!! Anyways, I live in Ontario and I had gone to the emerg for a broken wrist and they had to do a pg test before they could do xrays....I waited about 30 minutes....so they don't take long....especially if they are only doing a urine like mine was.....doctors...I tell ya! So hopefully you don't have to take a week! Oh and also a friend of mine didn't find out she was pregnant till she was 7 months...she was also on bc, but some meds she was taking counteracted (sp?) with it and she had a "period" for the first 7 months. So you never know. And about taking the pill while possibly being pg...well I am not sure but I have read somewhere that in the beginning of a pregnancy the baby is not taking anything from the mother. It's a safe guard so to speak. Now I could be wrong so if someone knows different let me know!!
Lawgirl....if I remember correctly our tests here are usually between 15 canadian and I think (don't quote me on this one ladies!!) 35 CND...or something like that....kind of expensive....but you always have the option of going to a walk in clinic and requesting one...they will do it for free!!
Well I have rambled on too much so I will bid you all adieu and good luck Whiskers and let us know I am curious to know the results too!!

Flutter

Old 08-25-2004, 07:15 PM   #11
Inactive
(female)

hayley0610 HB User

i forgot to tell you too in my last post that my doc thought i had an enlarged uterus too one time and thought i could be prego which is IMPOSSIBLE! and it turned out my period was due and thats what enlarged it but like other posters if i were you i go buy a test superstore has them REAL cheap so does walmart like 6-7$.

Old 08-25-2004, 08:11 PM   #12
Senior Veteran

Chrissi HB User

yeah i used the one from walmart to test when i was preggo with my baby girl.....it was $3.87...lol they still sell them and believe me they work!

Old 08-25-2004, 09:23 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi everyone,
Thank you so much everyone, for taking the time to respond! I really, really appreciate it, it is SO nice to know that there actually are people out there who will listen to me ramble on and on, because I'm paranoid... So thanks again!
I have an update for you--although, it's not a very exciting one. I went for the urine test today and like I said, they wouldn't give me the results, but the girl there said that they should be at my dr's office by tomorrow morning! I was expecting it to take much longer... But anyways, I'm going to call tomorrow afternoon and ask them if the dr. could possibly tell me the results over the phone, or if I have to make an appointment to come in. I'd be quite dissapointed if I had to go in, just to hear a negative result, when he could've easily done the test last night when I was there, and given me my results..... I really don't know why he didn't--my guess is that, because it was quite busy and only an hour until he was supposed to be done his shift.... Doctors... I tell ya....
So, I will definitely post the results when I know (which may not be until early next week if I have to go in to find out--does anybody know if they do that over the phone?). I'm assuming it'll be negative, but I'm hoping for a positive.... Like I said before, timing could be better but now that I've been thinking about it, I'd really like it to happen now . I may get impatient and go buy a home pregnancy test, depending on how long I have to wait, the only thing I'd be scared of is that since I haven't missed a period, I'd be afraid to get a false negative...
Talk to you all soon!

Whiskers

Last edited by WhiskersOnKittens; 08-25-2004 at 09:23 PM.

Old 08-25-2004, 10:21 PM   #14
Inactive
(female)

hayley0610 HB User

whiskers just so you wont be excited or whatever tomm, your doc prob will tell u he cant give results over ph and u have to come in which in turn will make u assume its a positive!! its happened to me and many people i know! so either way he may ask u to come in, it depends on your doc. i dont think you are pregnant but maybe this situation made you see how a child maybe right in your life right now and depending on your situation maybe wanting to have one in the near future??

Old 08-26-2004, 02:13 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

Unhappy Re: Please help me! Dr. said I might be....

Hi everyone,
Well, I just heard the news: the test is negative I don't know why I'm upset because it's not even like we were trying to get pregnant--I am on the pill, after all. I guess just since I heard from the doctor that he thought there was a good possibility, I got my hopes up. I tried not to because I knew this would happen. But it's hard to stop thinking about, especially when that idea came from a doctor, of all people. I feel like crying..... Well, thanks for all the responses--you guys have really kept me sane in the last couple of days. Good luck with all of your pregnancies, I hope you sail through them very smoothly.

Whiskers

Closed Thread