It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-25-2004, 02:06 AM   #1
Veteran

lilmom HB User
Question Breast milk????

Okay I'm not new to dealing with pumping, storing breast milk, I was a wet nurse last year. BUT I've had to add formula to my sons diet because my supply went down to almost nothing. i.e. 1/2 oz. I've tried everything, from mothers milk tea, fennugreek, tincture, I've even drank half and half, malted milk, you name it i've done. Even tried the beer before I knew I was preg. I've put him to the breast every two hours, I've tried my hand pump but like I said I only have 1/2 oz. From both sides.
Is there a perscription that helps in building the milk supply? Have you heard of it? The pediatrician mentioned it in the passing, a week ago. Are any of you on it? please help.
Lilmom
PS yes I know that pregnancy can effect my supply, am I fighting a losing battle?
DH returning from OIF November 2006!

Old 08-25-2004, 07:06 AM   #2
Senior Veteran

l8again HB User
Re: Breast milk????

I'm not sure of a prescription???? But I have heard that oatmeal can help increase milk supply. I was running lower than usual and I ate oatmeal. It actually helped get my supply back to normal.

If you are pg, sometimes breast milk will change to go with the new born.

Good luck to you. Hope you get more ideas here or that your ped can help out. You may want to contact a local La Leche League member if you have one in your area....

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-25-2004, 08:25 AM   #3
Veteran

lilmom HB User

I've done everything la leche league has suggested, never heard of the oatmeal, thanks I'll try it and I'll let you know
Lilmom

Old 08-27-2004, 09:08 AM   #4
Senior Veteran

l8again HB User

lilmom - how's it going???? did your breast milk production get better???

Old 08-27-2004, 12:15 PM   #5
Veteran

lilmom HB User

I seem to be doing a little better, he is nurseing more and longer, so obviously he is getting something I have a feeling because of the pregnancy that I won't be able to bring my milk supply up to feed him completely, but I sure want to give it my best. I'm just SO tired right now, I know I'll have to keep him on the organic formula for while...... a little sad but that is best, and he is SO happy, I shouldn't feel bad, but I'm such a breastfeeding advacate that this is just about killing me. I'm a little hormonal right now, can you tell Thanks for the advice, and listening. Lilmom

Old 08-27-2004, 01:05 PM   #6
Senior Veteran

l8again HB User

That's good that your production is a little better. Don't be hard on yourself. At least you are giving your best shot. Stress can cause milk production to slow so try not to get too upset The organic formula seems to be going well for Morgan because he is happy. As long as the little fella is healthy, that is what counts... "thumbs up"

Old 08-27-2004, 03:45 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

nyxin HB Usernyxin HB Usernyxin HB User

beer really helped me because of the yeast and barly. couldn't you try o'dules (sp?) or that other near-beer stuff? there is no alcohol and you may get the same increase as regular beer. worth a try?
C-Section Aug 1st 08 with baby BOY #3
OMG!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 08-27-2004, 06:05 PM   #8
Veteran
(female)

4given1 HB User

There is a drug that can increase your milk production, and it's called Reglan. My ob actually called in a prescription for me, but I never picked it up as I learned that one major side effect is depression. Sure didn't need that with a new baby!

Last edited by GloomyDaisy; 08-27-2004 at 06:06 PM.

Old 08-27-2004, 09:41 PM   #9
Veteran

lilmom HB User

GloomyDaisy, I REALLY like and agree with your scripture. Thank you all for the help and replies, It is turn out for the best I guess. I'm going to make my own formula, I've gotten a great recipe and everything, on an Army income, can't afford $52 per month pn formula. It's already been ok'd by the ped. God bless,
Lilmom

Old 08-28-2004, 07:02 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

haleysmum HB User

Hi so you are breasfeeding and pregnant again ? I have actually heard that the breast milk goes sour when pregnant again, but dont quote me as im not entirely sure...but yes I have heard of problems when breastfeeding and pregnant again. Anyway good luck with it

Old 09-01-2004, 02:31 PM   #11
Veteran

lilmom HB User

No the milk doesn't go sour, but it does change taste, that is why sometime when this happens the nursing baby just stops completely when you get preg. but my milk went away before I became preg. thanks girls, but there hasn't been any real milk for a couple of days, I was going to call pediatrics and talk to a nurse about getting a electric pump, that should help. Lilmom

Old 09-02-2004, 01:15 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

Zayazmama HB User

Well.....with my son (hes almost 7 now), I never got milk. Breast size didnt change at all. Darn, that was the one part I was lookin forward to.
So far, no change. Im about 10 wks +, and nothing so far. I am glad you guys posted about this, and thank you for posting the name of that script on here, cause I am going to add it to my LONG list of questions to ask my doc.

Old 09-02-2004, 02:43 PM   #13
Veteran

lilmom HB User

Well just got off of the phone with the lactation Consultant...... She is afraid that if I start pumping alot then it will start uterine contractions and cause a m/c..... AND she thinks by what my milk is NOT doing and about when he stopped nursing means that I'm probably 3-4 months along instead of 1-2......... hhhhhmmmmm I wonder!
Lilmom

Closed Thread