It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-25-2004, 06:10 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

jmcummins3 HB User
Do you show sooner with 2nd child?

I am 4 1/2 weeks pregnant with my 2nd child. My daughter is almost 10 years old, so it's been a long time since I was pregnant. I am ony 4 1/2 week but my jeans are all too tight in the waist and I am actually starting to show. Could that be because this is not my first pregnancy, or am I farther along? I had mid-month cramping during last month's cycle and then a very light period. I had taken a pregnancy test before I started bleeding, but it may have been too soon. I didn't retest until this month when my period was due and the test came up positive.

Old 08-25-2004, 06:47 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

ahall HB User
Re: Do you show sooner with 2nd child?

Hi, my story is the very same as yours. I have a 10 yr old daughter & when I was pregnant with her I didn't start to show until 5 mts. When I got pregnant again (my baby daughter was born 2 weeks ago) I was already starting to wear maternity clothes during my 3rd month. I was shocked The doctor said all pregnancys are different and not to worry at all. I thought by showing so early I would be like a horse at 9 months. I gained the exact same weight with both pregnancys, and at 9 months looked pretty much the same as I did with my first. So in answer to your question, yes, you do start to show sooner with your second. My doctors explanation was that your body stores the memory of your first pregnancy and when it detects your pregnant again, it automatically starts to slacken the muscles in your belly in preparation for whats to come, plus retain fluids etc.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-25-2004, 06:51 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

jmcummins3 HB User

Thank you! That makes sense. My husband thinks I'm crazy because I'm showing and thinks I must be just getting fat since it's so early. I thought I might be having twins or triplets or something, or maybe I am farther along than I thought, which could be a remote possibility.

Old 08-25-2004, 07:13 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

nyxin HB Usernyxin HB Usernyxin HB User

most times with a subsequent pregnancy you will "pop" sooner, but what you are freeling now is probably bloating and gas! trust me, i am 9 1/2 weeks w/my 2 and wow, sometimes i look 6 months prego, but it's all distention! my doc said i really wouldn't show untill 14 weeks ish.....
C-Section Aug 1st 08 with baby BOY #3
OMG!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 08-25-2004, 07:21 AM   #5
Inactive
(female)

hayley0610 HB User

not only did i show sooner but i felt him move at about 12 -13 weeks!!! but the funny thing was by the end of the pregnancy i was bigger with first...doc said id be lucky if he was 6 pounds because i wasnt as big at the end but he turned out to be 7 lbs 9 oz so it goes to show!

Old 08-25-2004, 08:00 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

jmcummins3 HB User

Thanks for letting me know I'm not crazy here. I'm not sure how much weight I've gained because I don't weigh myself and haven't been to the OB/GYN yet. I just have a belly that I don't usually have and can see that I'm pregnant a lot earlier than with my first. I have been eating healthy and not too much more than normal, just more frequent smaller meals and healthy snacks.

Old 08-25-2004, 09:28 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Zayazmama HB User

You're not alone.....I am 9 wks. This is my 4th pregnancy though. I bought a couple of maternity outfits yesterday. OH BOY....... None of my jeans fit anymore, and my shirts just feel yucky. So I said, forget it and bought a couple of maternity things at walmart. I feel huge, and I look 6 months prego...... its all worth it though.

Old 08-25-2004, 11:29 AM   #8

awm HB User

This is oh so true. This is my 3rd and I am almost 13 weeks and my normally flat stomach is definitely poking out but I haven't gained a single pound. I know it is baby related even if it isn't the "baby" itself. I haven't started the maternity yet but I can't fit into my clothes and am wearing my husbands jeans.

Closed Thread