It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-26-2004, 10:57 AM   #1

WildSigns HB User
Barry Junior's birth story!!!

Well labor started all day saturday, but I didn't realize I was in labor because I wasen't having any cramping or anything, just this incredable pressure like there was a bowling ball in my uterus, the last time that happened the doctor just said it was the baby dropping, so I just assumed it was that. So me and dh decided to go walking around the mall a few laps, just to see if anything would happen. Around midnight the pain started getting more intense, it felt like someone was taking a sledge hammer to the bowling ball now, but I still didn't beleive it was labor, no cramps no back ache... I tried laying down but nothing happened, finally I decidede to start timing them, they were 5 minutes apart and happening for about a minute long. so I called my doctor around 2:30 am.
We got to the hospital around 3:00 and found I was 2 centemeters dialated, and I took the epidural, I was in so much pain!!! It was like a little peice of heven I tried napping but they kept waking me up becuase the babys heart rate would drop down to almost nothing, finally around 7 a.m. they checked me and I was 7 centimeters dialated, but it was decided that they would have to do a emergency c-section becuase his heart rate was literally stopping at the peak of the contractions.....so at 8:12 a.m. August 8, 2004 Barry Junior was born! his apgars were 9 and then 10!!!
After the c-section we got to spend time with him, but then later on that night I started to have mild hemmoraging, so they had to give me something to stop that, which finally did on MOnday morning.
Even after the hemmoraging I had a quick recovery and was going to be released Wednesday, but then Barry Junior couldn't keep his sugar levels up and he developed jaundice real bad, so they had to put him in the special care nursery. While he was in the special care unit, he gave us a huge scare his sugar levels dropped dramtically and they told us that his blood was too thick and clotting too much, and if this kept up they would have to take out half his blood, and fill the other half with saline, those were the worst 3 hours of my life, but when the test came back it ended up being just a "fluke" talk about a releife but I was still nervous.
JR is still in special care nursery, they said that the reason his sugar levels keep dropping is because he is so big 8 lbs, 7oz. and when the baby is in you your body takes care of the insulin for him, and because he was so big his body is having a hard time keeping up with it, but the last few days have been looking good and he might be able to come home tommorow evening!!! He has been on a i.v. also and they started out at 8 and now hie is down to 2, after this next feeding they are taking it out and if he can hold his levels up after that he will be able to come home! I have to go back every 3 hours during the day to breast feed him, and then pump when I get home, he only takes the breast 10 minutes each side and then I guess I just don't supply it fast enough for him and he finishes with a bottle and let me tell you I'm such a cow!!!! even the lactation nurses can't beleive how much milk I am producing! Well I have to get back to the hospital, I just wanted to let everyone know what was happening, I will write back later on tonight and fill in anything that i missed.
take care,
Marjorie

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-26-2004, 11:22 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

LiveYourDreams HB User
Re: Barry Junior's birth story!!!

Congratulations on your new little boy! I'm sorry about his sugar level problems, but I'm so glad they caught it and it's under control now! How exciting that he might get to come home tonight!

Ammalin Rose - 10.23.2004
Nevaeh Marie - 05.16.2006

Old 08-26-2004, 05:07 PM   #3

DepecheJan HB User

Congratulations Marjorie!!! I am so glad to know that you and Barry Jr. are doing okay.

Wow, your labor sounds like quite an experience. Glad to know that you are recovering nicely after the c-section. I didn't think it was bad at all. After 2 weeks, I feel almost completely back to normal.

Sorry to hear about Barry's sugar levels. At least it sounds like they are getting them under control. I really hope that you are able to take him home tomorrow night. Isn't it all worth it when you get to hold your little one in your arms and look into that little face?

Please keep us posted on how you and little Barry are doing!!
Take care Sweetie!
Jan

Old 08-26-2004, 05:23 PM   #4
Senior Veteran

jstpeachey79 HB User

Congratulations on your little one. I am so excited for you. I am very glad that he might be coming home and that you are doing well.
DD Born 8-13-04

Old 08-27-2004, 04:29 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

bren7 HB User

Congrats on Barry Jr. I hope you will be able to bring him home soon. How are you feeling? I hope you and he get better soon.

Old 08-27-2004, 04:39 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kitty_T HB User

Congrats Marjorie

Sorry to hear that Barry Jr wasn't too well at first but hopefully he is doing much better now. how are you?

keep us updated sweetie

Old 08-27-2004, 06:00 AM   #7

Amy2003 HB User

Congratulations!
I hope you are able to bring Jr home soon!

Amy
EDD sept 26th

Old 08-27-2004, 09:54 AM   #8

WildSigns HB User

Hi again thank you all for the nice replys I just wanted to give a quick update, Blue, which is the nickname we've now given him, dosen't need his blue lights anymore, he's been off of them for 2 days now, they took him off his i.v. last night, and this morning they stopped adding sugar to his milk, as of this moring his sugar levels were 80, which is good, 50 is the worry line.
We were supposed to take him home today, but the doctor that was on yesterday isn't on today and the one that they have on today wants us to wait 1 more day before we can bring him home, so it now looks like tommorow morning I hope!!!
Well I have to get ready to go back to the hospital to feed him I want to make sure he is eating more then enough to keep his sugar levels up so we can bring him home!!!
take care,
Marjorie

Old 08-28-2004, 01:46 PM   #9

WildSigns HB User

Yeah!!!!!! we got to bring him home this morning
hes doing great, taking a nap right now, he dosen't like his cradle to much, so I put him to sleep in his bouncy chair, and he went right out.
take care!
Marjorie

Old 08-28-2004, 06:35 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

haleysmum HB User

Hi Marjorie and CONGRATS on your darling little boy May I ask if you have diabeties or had gestational diabeties ? I am type 2 diabetic and have been warned of the same thing happening when my son is born in 9 weeks.....Im actually getting induced 3 weeks early due to the diabeties and the fact we have big babies....Thank god when my daughter was born last year her sugar levels were perfect, but I am concerned with this one as I have found it really hard to keep MY sugar levels under control.....Anyway CONGRATS again

Old 08-29-2004, 09:14 AM   #11

WildSigns HB User

Hi Haleysmum, I actually found out a week before I found out I was pregnant that I had "borderline diabetes", but when I got checked for the gestational diabetes, it came back negative.
They said that the reason for the sugar levels was because he was so big and his pancrease didnt know how to keep up with him, for the past 4 days he has been gaining a oz a day, and is now up to 8lbs 10oz (the visiting nurse came today)
I hope that your son is going to be o.k., its a very nerve racking thing to go thru.
Take care,
Marjorie

Closed Thread