It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-26-2004, 07:51 PM   #1

bbear HB User
Unhappy DIL pregnant in car wreck

Hi...I had posted awhile back about my DIL being pregnant and the Dr's not seeming to give two cents.....she has been dilated to one for three weeks is in her 41st week.......anyway....she was in a terrible wreck this morning...a car ran a red light and hit her side of the car........It really did damage to her.....she is cut up something terrible, but will be ok......These Docs she has just don't seem right...when she was in the ER.....(She went to the Hospital she is delivering at) The Docs hooked the baby up to a heart monitor and said still they would not do anything to progress the labor.......Awhile later her water broke and FINALLY they admitted her to labor and delivery......that was at eight am this morning...it is now almost 10:00 pm and she is barely hitting 3 cm.......plus she is in terrible pain from this wreck......The Docs will not agree to do a C-section.....Are they wrong???? I mean she has suffered great trauma and now is having contractions as well.......I personally think the Docs are wrong...I'm going back to the hospital in the morning.....I doubt she will have the baby tonight........I still say a C-section should be done

Old 08-26-2004, 08:08 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

nyxin HB Usernyxin HB Usernyxin HB User
Re: DIL pregnant in car wreck

my water broke at week 41 and i sat there for 11 hours before the doctors could figure out that it actually was my water. i got a horrible infection and it almost killed my son and i.... i am not trying to scare you but your DIL MUST take matter into her own hands. if she does not like the treatment she is getting then she has to demand a second opinion or threaten to talk to a lawyer....SERIOUSLY. once your water breaks you need to be in active labor within 6 hours to reduce the risk of infection. please know this is something i know a lot about. i know that when you are having a baby it can be so crazy that you don;t think that the doctors don't know what is best....but sometimes they don't. add the fact that she was in a car crash and she is probably not in her right mind to question her doctors decisions. please let her know she does have a choice!
C-Section Aug 1st 08 with baby BOY #3
OMG!!!!!!!!!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-26-2004, 08:17 PM   #3
(female)

Juliennes HB User

I'm no doctor, but something certainly sounds strange. She's been in labor since 8am and she is only 3cm at 10pm and they're not doing anything???? Did they give her pitocin to move things along? She must be exhausted. I can understand, to a point, not wanting to do a c-section immediately, for the simple fact that is is surgery and all, but this is getting ridiculous. Are they not concerned that she is not progressing??? i'm baffled!! Please keep us posted!

Old 08-26-2004, 08:30 PM   #4

2confused HB User

She needs pitocin or oxytocin to help her get things moving smoother. I've had a c-section, and I've been in a car wreck, and I'd much rather go through another car wreck than another c-section!! They might be trying to avoid adding more to her already long list of healing for her body to go through! A c-section is very traumatic on a body. It's been over 9 years since mine and I still have pain sometimes. Something certainly needs to be done, though.

2confused

Old 08-26-2004, 08:37 PM   #5

kristi_p HB User

I am sorry for what you and your family are going through. I agree, these docs don't seem right.

She is the patient, these docs should do what she wants. Or like someone above said get a second opinion!

Keep us posted and good luck!

Old 08-27-2004, 03:56 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

MandyAnne26 HB User

you have about a 24 hour window to have a baby after water breaks before infection is really a concern. I am going to assume they are watching out for fetal dissress as well as signs of infection in both the mother and baby. While c section sounds like the obvious option there is far too many of them being done these days...doctors generaly know whats best, it sounds as if they will probably end up doing one in the end anyway, but they are probably trying to save your dil from more pain (a c section is very very painful and hard to recover from, i've had 3). As well, first babies generaly take longer, doctors are starting to realize that a long labor isn't necessarily a bad thing, andt hat first labors generaly are long (18hours was the time given to me by my prenatal class). Also, generaly once a woman gets to 5cm things can progress quickly (with my first it took me about 10hours or so to get to 6cm, i went from 6 to 10 in less than an hour). It could just be your daughter has landed in a hospital that doesn't rush to section a woman...that can be a good or a bad thing, but since none of us on here are doctors we can't say what is best for your daughter, we just have to hope that her doctor is doing the right thing. I hope all turns out well.

Old 08-27-2004, 09:36 AM   #7

bbear HB User

Thank you all for replying......DIL had the baby ...BTW It's a little boy! 8 pounds 4 oz...but......after 16 hours of labor.....the baby went into stress and they HAD to do a C-section........DIL was only dilated to 4 cm at that time......I guess Mandy is right in saying a natural birth is better.....its just DIL was already at 41 week's.........and the Docs seemed in no hurry to induce labor.......even after the car wreck...which is what brought the labor on.....I'm just happy to say little Jacob is fine and doing well......Mom is quite sore..........and trying to nurse...........He was born a little after 1:00 am central time on Aug/27......Thank you all......and I wish all you Mother's to be and new Mom's the best! Love bbear

Old 08-27-2004, 12:08 PM   #8
Veteran

lilmom HB User

Since her water broke, and they are watching the baby for distress they will be watching her for infection already too. How does your DIL feel about it? If it was me I would avoid C-section if I could, but as long as baby if fine there should not be any problems, I'm not one for drug aids in any kind but even I would tell them to give me the pitocin. That is much better than the baby getting the pain meds the mother is probably taking because of the accident. Keep us up to date please. She is in my prayers.
Lilmom
DH returning from OIF November 2006!

Old 08-27-2004, 06:09 PM   #9
Veteran
(female)

Angela4 HB User

I think the doctors are very wrong. I think they should do a c-section if she is in that much pain, plus just to be safe that the baby is okay. Can she go to a different hospital? I think it's very important that she does. I would get her to a different hospital at all costs if I were you.

Old 08-27-2004, 09:36 PM   #10
Veteran

lilmom HB User

Congratulations!!!! You are a Grandma!!! I'm so glad that things turned out great! Enjoy your little grandson!
Lilmom
DH returning from OIF November 2006!

Old 08-28-2004, 06:16 AM   #11
(female)

Juliennes HB User

Congrats to you bbear on your new little grandson!!!!!!
I am so glad that all turned out ok.
Best Wishes,
Julienne

Old 08-28-2004, 11:00 PM   #12

bink7 HB User

I'm glad everything turned out ok too!!! I started to reply to the message and then I saw that everything turned out ok!! That's great!!

Last edited by bink7; 08-28-2004 at 11:03 PM.

Closed Thread