It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-27-2004, 05:13 PM   #1

brony711 HB User
Red face advise on doctor giving SSRI's

I am 29 weeks pg and I have been suffering anxiety I finally did tell my doctor and she put me on lexapro it makes me feel jittery and can not sleep and I feel like I am hurting the baby by taking it. But the doctor insist that I stick with it. Does my doctor feel I will be a failure for my child if I don't stick with it. Also can they take your baby if you are depressed or on meds

Old 08-28-2004, 04:08 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

MandyAnne26 HB User
Re: advise on doctor giving SSRI's

no your doctor won't feel like you are a failure if you don't take the meds. Nor can they take your child for being depressed and on meds (lots of mothers suffer depression and are on meds). The key is to stay on top of it, seeing the doctor, finding the right meds, going to therapy if that is necessary.Where depression and anxiety become a problem is if someone is suicidal, or is unable to properly care for themselves or the child, simply having depression or anxiety and being on meds does not mean you cannot be a good mother. You can talk to your pharmasist about any risks it could pose to your baby, but your doctor isn't going to prescribe something that would knowingly hurt your baby. It sounds as if you've still got some anxiety issues, i think one of the reasons why your doctor wants you to stick with it is that generaly the side effects lesson and it starts to work fully after a few weeks or a month. If you find your anxiety not getting any better or your still unable to sleep and are fidigity than go back to your doctor and let him know that your side effects aren't getting any better and maybe there is something else you can try.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-28-2004, 07:49 AM   #3

sidnee74 HB User
Re: advise on doctor giving SSRI's

What kind of diet are you eating? I suffer from depression (I'm not pregnant) but I choose to treat myself naturally. This includes some supplements. But at the moment I am mostly treating with diet. Getting plenty of protein & natural fats (butter, sour cream, nuts), and avoiding sugar, flour, hydrogenated oils, caffeine & artificial sweeteners can be very helpful for anxiety/depression. It helps to stabilize your blood sugar as well as your mood. Make sure you are eating enough. Smaller, frequent meals may be helpful. Eat plenty of vegetables & fruits. Hopefully at 29weeks you are able to stomach most things?

I took celexa (earlier version of lexapro) and didn't like its side effects. Lexapro is supposed to not have those side effects, but people I've talked to who take it say different. Ask a pharmacist about its safety during pregnancy. They know more about drugs than doctors do. They may also know about the safety of such natural supplements as fish oil or B-complex vitamins, which help with depression & stress.

Best wishes to you.

Last edited by sidnee74; 08-28-2004 at 07:49 AM.

Closed Thread