It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-28-2004, 04:45 PM   #1

happygrl HB User
1st gyno appt.-scared

Hi everyone,
I am 27 years old and 7 weeks pregnant. I have my first doctor's appointment next week- I mean my first EVER. I have never gone because I was always scared and embarassed-I mean I find the idea gross and feel bad for the doctor. I am also overweight and i think that that makes me feel even more uncomfortable about going. I always feel like the doctor will make me feel bad about being so big. I already know the health risks and I know what I need to do to lose weight, I just haven't done it.

Anyway, now that I am pregnant, i really understand how important it is to do everything I can to best help the baby. It's just that I am very uncomfortable and nervous. Can anyone help by telling me what will happen when I go so that I know what to expect? Thank you so much.

Old 08-28-2004, 04:48 PM   #2
(female)

ibtara86 HB User
Re: 1st gyno appt.-scared

Hey girl, I wish I could give you some advice... But I can't. lol I'm in the same boat as you. I have my first one Weds I'm also somewhat overweight. :-) Sorry, I couldnt help. But just to let you know your not alone! Here to talk anytime!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-28-2004, 04:51 PM   #3

happygrl HB User

Thank you, ibtara. My appointment is Friday, we should compare experiences after that.

Rachael

Old 08-28-2004, 04:53 PM   #4
(female)

ibtara86 HB User

Of course!

Old 08-28-2004, 07:31 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Dakota HB User

Oh hun....I know it's hard but they really are not that bad.

My first appointment they didn't do a pap or pelvic cause I have already had my yearly so they told me they won't do that til after the baby is born.

So they'll probably do what they normally do for everyone ask TONS of questions like if you plan to breastfeed, down to questions on tests you can have throughout your pregnancy if you wish....right down to if you have a boy if you want him circumsized. (Yeah Dh and my jaws dropped at that 'Your asking us that NOW?') hehe

The physical isn't too bad...just remind yourself they do it EVERY day and you don't have anything they haven't already seen

Breast examination....all the doctors I have pull the shirt up infront of your face so you can't see the doctor....I found that comforting so they can't see me blush LOL

Pap/pelvic honestly done and over with before you know it. if anything is painful speak up because they will take measures to correct the problem. It will be uncomfortable but should not be painful.

Good Luck!

Old 08-28-2004, 10:49 PM   #6

bink7 HB User

I haven't had one yet, but, I work in a hospital (I've followed a gyn before) and patients always tell me they're uncomfortable about things, obviously I respect that very much, but, remember, don't feel bad for the doctor, they went to school for this, this is what they WANTED to do they do it all the time and BELIEVE ME I'm SURE there's someone that's been before that's bigger than you and doesn't take care of themselves. Just go in, and think about something else, sometimes they'll talk to you to kind of relieve tension. It's ok to feel scared! But, you'll be ok and they'll be done before you know it!

Old 08-28-2004, 11:34 PM   #7
(female)

BigMomma24 HB User

Hello.. so you wanna know what it feels like? Hmmm... when the doctor does the pelvic exam, they will pull back the folds of your skin and sort of clamp it so they can see better. Then they will insert a long instrument that will pinch a little. (I'm still not sure what they do with that instrument.) After that, they will swab you with a long q-tip and use that as a sample to check for STDs' and other abnormalities.

Some little tips of advice:
1.) DO NOT have sex 24 hours prior to the exam. This can cause an abnormal pap, meaning they will have to do it again and scrape the inside of your vagina (ouch).
2.) DO NOT douche or put anything inside the vagina prior to the exam
3.) RELAX.... it will make things go a little easier if you relax your vaginal muscles. The more tense you are, the more it will hurt. I always try to think of something else, to take my mind off of the pinching.

Possible (normal) reactions: slight burning, pinching or pain during the procedure. Some llight spotting or discharge after the procedure.

Hope this helps.. and remember, there's nothing to be embarrassed about. I'm sure your gyno has seen it ALL.

Old 08-29-2004, 08:46 AM   #8

happygrl HB User

Thank you all. I'm sure it will be fine, I just hope all is well with baby. I'm so glad I found this message board!

Old 08-29-2004, 04:22 PM   #9

redwood HB User

If your doctor says its ok.. I take tylenol after its done.. I do before too but again you need to ask your doctor because everyone is different.

Usually the speculum.. which is the thing that they put inside you to see inside is COLD! Like ice!! It is uncomfortable sometimes a little painful but like everyone has said. Tell your doctor because they do try and make it as comfortable as possible for you.

Ask questions. No questions are dumb or stupid. If you do not understand something your doctor is saying. then ask!!! They are happy to answer. I ask my doctor tons of questions. Sometimes he gives me a look. But he tolerates because he knows I am active in my own health lol... Be active in yours. It will make you feel better too.

Congrats on your baby...!!

Old 08-29-2004, 11:05 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

andrea03 HB User

I was in the same boat and always have been. I used to get panic attacks before I'd have a pap done. This time around I had to keep telling myself that I am not the only overweight woman to ever get pregnant or to have this doctor. It went well, although I did have some cramping afterwards. He didn't say anything about my weight and I think that is due to they don't want you dieting while pregnant, they may also go over the possibility of gestational diebetes, due to your weight, they did with me, but my sugar levels are ALWAYS low as with my BP> Good luck

Old 08-30-2004, 09:46 AM   #11

Tinkerbell4bdg HB User

Hello,
First i want to say congrats. I hate going to the gyn but i relized how important it is to go. I am almost 7 mon preg. and when i had my pap at 3 mon. I found out that I had servere dysplasia ( which is pre cancer cells on the cervix) There is nothing they can do until after the baby. But it is very important to go no mater what...I hope all goes well...Good luck..

Old 09-06-2004, 05:46 PM   #12

happygrl HB User

Hi all!
I went and it was not bad. My midwife talked to me about diet and because I am at a higher risk for gestational diabetes, she wants me to limit carbs and eat a lot of protein. Is that because carbs turn to sugar? Anyway, she is sending me for a sonagram this week. I don't think that this is normal at week 9, but I think it may have to do with the fact that I told her my mother died recently of ovarian cancer and maybe she just wanted to have a look at my ovaries. Anyway, has anyone else been told to restrict carbs during their pregnancies? She has told me to snack on things like almonds and cheese or fruit with peanut butter. The problem is I don't like any cheese or nuts or peanut butter. Does anyone know of any snack type foods that are high protein but not high carb? I am a teacher and I get so hungry during the day, I usually have a yogurt, but yogurt tends to have a lot of sugar and carbs. Any suggestions would be helpful.

Also, I am probably just worrying too much, but I only experienced nausa for about 2 weeks, I have been ok for the last several days. Also, my breasts, which have been KILLING me pretty much since I concieved, don't seem to hurt as much as usual. Should I consider this to be a problem? I have probably just been reading too much and also worrying about everything that could go wrong. My husband wants to tell people, but I keep telling him that I want to make sure that everything is ok first. Any advice? Thanks-you guys are the best!

Old 09-06-2004, 09:16 PM   #13
Senior Veteran

Lawgirl HB User

My doctor gave me a quick and dirty lecture on nutrition and emphasized the importance of things like calcium, iron, protein, and explained how those things go into the make-up of the babies. She went on to say "babies are not made of carbohydrates," meaning that that is probably not the best food choice. In my case, I think what she meant is that when you're pregnant you need to make every calorie count, and it's better to have 200 calories of skim milk and fruits than it is to have 200 calories of white bread or 200 calories of Coke. On the other hand, my morning sickness has been so bad that I told her that just about all I was getting down those days was bread and butter and she said for now that wasn't a problem.

I think lowfat yogurt is fine, even though it has carbs, because it is not empty calories. Of course, I can't know what your doctor meant, I'm just making a suggestion. Beef jerky is high in protein and delicious (though high in sodium- I'm not sure if that's a problem for you). Cottage cheese is nice, if you like yogurt you might like it. What about a whole wheat bagel loaded with cream cheese? That has calcium and is not like eating a cube of cheddar. Also, there are all sorts of other nut butters out there besides peanutbutter. Maybe you could try cashew butter, almond butter or something else you might like? Also, try different kind of almonds, different roasts/flavors, maybe something wil appeal to you.

Oooh. I just thought of one more snack. What about those power bar type items, specifically designed for atkins? High protein, low carbs, that might be a good snack to keep on hand.

Good luck!

Old 09-09-2004, 01:21 PM   #14

happygrl HB User

Thank you for the suggestions. I love bagels with cream cheese, I was eating one just about everyday before I went to the doc. I never thought about wheat bagels-I'm sure it would be good. I will definitely check out some of the "atkins friendly" protein bars for snacking at school. Thanks!

Old 09-10-2004, 01:48 AM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

andrea03 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by happygrl
Hi all!
I went and it was not bad. My midwife talked to me about diet and because I am at a higher risk for gestational diabetes, she wants me to limit carbs and eat a lot of protein. Is that because carbs turn to sugar? Anyway, she is sending me for a sonagram this week. I don't think that this is normal at week 9, but I think it may have to do with the fact that I told her my mother died recently of ovarian cancer and maybe she just wanted to have a look at my ovaries. Anyway, has anyone else been told to restrict carbs during their pregnancies? She has told me to snack on things like almonds and cheese or fruit with peanut butter. The problem is I don't like any cheese or nuts or peanut butter. Does anyone know of any snack type foods that are high protein but not high carb? I am a teacher and I get so hungry during the day, I usually have a yogurt, but yogurt tends to have a lot of sugar and carbs. Any suggestions would be helpful.

Also, I am probably just worrying too much, but I only experienced nausa for about 2 weeks, I have been ok for the last several days. Also, my breasts, which have been KILLING me pretty much since I concieved, don't seem to hurt as much as usual. Should I consider this to be a problem? I have probably just been reading too much and also worrying about everything that could go wrong. My husband wants to tell people, but I keep telling him that I want to make sure that everything is ok first. Any advice? Thanks-you guys are the best!
It is normal to have a sono this early. They want to check size and stuff. It all depends on the doctor. They tell you to restrict carbs because they do turn into sugar and if you are at higher risk fro G/D then that would be a good precaution. I felt the same way when some of my early symptoms dissapated, it's normal. I got so paranoid I would wake up in the middle of the night, get online and almost order a dopler. I never did though. After I fully woke up I realized that everything is ok. Sorry to hear about your mother. They should send you to a nutritionist. Also your tastes may change through out your pregnancy. Things that I use to love, I hate and vise versa. Sometimes you have to sacrafice taste for what's best for baby. Wheat bagels are tons better for you also if you are at risk for G/D and they dont' taste too bad. Good luck

Closed Thread