It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-30-2004, 11:17 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

jmcummins3 HB User
How did you decide on a name?

DH and I have been thinking about baby names recently. I'm not due until April 30th so we have some time, but I was just curious how others have decided on baby names.

Old 08-30-2004, 11:28 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Angela4 HB User
Re: How did you decide on a name?

It took us forever to decide on a name. We finally narrowed the list down to about 5 names and then it took us another couple of months to decide for sure. One day I said; 'Lets go to the book store, get some baby name books and sit down in a chair until we have one picked out.' We said we weren't going to get up from those chairs until we had a name picked, and that's how we decided! By the end of the day I was hungry and had to pee really bad, but we got our name, lol!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-30-2004, 11:52 AM   #3
Inactive

KimRick HB User

I named my daughter Brianna after my brother, Brian, that passed away 16 years ago. You could try something like that, naming after lost loved ones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angela4
It took us forever to decide on a name. We finally narrowed the list down to about 5 names and then it took us another couple of months to decide for sure. One day I said; 'Lets go to the book store, get some baby name books and sit down in a chair until we have one picked out.' We said we weren't going to get up from those chairs until we had a name picked, and that's how we decided! By the end of the day I was hungry and had to pee really bad, but we got our name, lol!!!

Old 08-30-2004, 11:53 AM   #4
(female)

tiggydunc HB User

I'm not due until the end of April either, but we have been thinking about baby names since we got engaged. And it's great because we both agree on the same names. We have chosen Gracie Lynn Or Maddilyn Jo for a girl and Patrick James for a boy. I can't wait!!!

Old 08-30-2004, 12:11 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Dakota HB User

We've had a few names that have been in the 'pool' since before we were married. MIL keeps throwing names out....finally found out what her deal is....all the names (First and middle) She keeps suggesting are Saint names.

Which mind you I have no problem with....the most recent she suggested to DH and he likes "Anthony Michael" I just hate her motive behind it.....trying to get me to convert...ugh....

If I choose a name that happens to be a saint so be it....but I'm not going to limit my name choices to just saint names. *Sorry sore subject right now *

Old 08-30-2004, 12:18 PM   #6

kittenhead HB User

I like the idea of naming a baby after someone you knew or look up to that has passed away or may even still be living. It's a great way for a child to have a reason to love their name. Like for me, my real name is the name of an alcoholic singer from back in the day and although I'm not named after her specifically, it's the only thing people think of and I hate my name because of that. So if the child can have a great story to go with their name that will help too.

Old 08-30-2004, 12:28 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Zayazmama HB User

I am not 'churchy' or religious or anything like that, but my son's name is Isaiah Solomon. I picked that name (hubby at the time had no opinion on the name) because it means something good. And my son lives up to that name 100% too!
For this baby (not due till April 5), I have decided to name him or her something that also means something. Not some name where my kid will go to school and have 5 kids in the class with the same name (hopefully). If it is a girl, her name will be Syrenity (like serenity) Janice (after my mom). If it is a boy, his name will be William (kinda common, but named after my brother who was killed when I was a kid) Stanley (named after a dear friend who has inspired me to begin a campaign to stop youth violence).....

So.....I dont know. I think that names that mean something to YOU are good.

Old 08-30-2004, 12:36 PM   #8

poorabnormalone HB User

I think, a thing to think about, is that there are lots of Annas, Toms, lauras......etc. when my husband and i decided on wat to name our daughter, we thought about what she would be happiest with in her later life. We wanted something feminine, and original. This may sound crazy, but Melody is a pretty cute name!

Old 08-30-2004, 12:56 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

brwneyez9 HB User

We found out we are having a girl. My husband wanted to use both of our names in some way. His middle name is Lee and mine is Marie. So LeeAnn Marie is going to be our little girls name. If it would have been a boy we were going to go with Aydan Mikel. I just the Aydan and my husbands grandpa's last name is Mikels so thats where we got the Mikel. That is how we choose our names.

Old 08-30-2004, 01:05 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

jmcummins3 HB User

Thanks for sharing you stories. We don't have anything special to name a child after, just have been trying to come up with names that we like. So far we like Katelyn (we'll call her Katie and it fits well with our last name) for a girl and we can't decide on a boy's name. I like the idea of using my husband's middle name or his father's first name, but he isn't sold on either of those ideas.

Old 08-30-2004, 01:19 PM   #11
Inactive
(female)

hayley0610 HB User

helloo and congrats!! well my hubby and i did this. he is serbian and im british so we had a heck of a time agreeing on a name! he wanted "different" names! so we went to the library grabbed baby books sat far away and wrote down 10 names we considered we could use. after this we compared notes and low and behold we had a name match! which we ended up using (natasha) he had very strange names down there but we were also lucky cause we knew it was a girl...good luck this is something you can try or you can agree one gets first and one gets middle name.

Old 08-30-2004, 03:35 PM   #12
Veteran
(female)

Angela4 HB User

lol, Dakota, our MIL's must be related. Mine isn't suggesting names but she has been doing so many other annoying things that I can barely stand it and I'm wondering how I'm going to get through it once the baby is born.

Old 08-30-2004, 05:04 PM   #13
Veteran

lilmom HB User

My DH and I are having a time of it too, we have a few names we both like, but nothing that we just LOVE......... Luckily we have time!
Lilmom
DH returning from OIF November 2006!

Old 08-30-2004, 06:41 PM   #14

redwood HB User

Well my first child is named Terry...I named my son that because my dad was dying from lyme disease... I hate to say that another reason is (well i do like the name) However. My dad was not the most fabulous father in the world. He has a total of 6 kids. I am from the first "set" the first one to have a grandchild. I just refused to let my evil stepmother use the name for her future kids kids.. I know..out of spite is not the best way to go.
I love my son very much and he is a very affectionate little guy...

Old 08-31-2004, 06:16 AM   #15
Veteran

happymom2b HB User

We were convinced we were having a girl... we talked about girl names and picked Laura Aeleen within a day. For a boy, we just said Ryan James, just so we had a name for a boy picked.... but... when we found out I was having a boy, Ryan just didn't seem too good anymore. I was in the hospital with kidney stones at the time when I found out the sex so I laid in bed with my husband sitting beside me and we kept throwing names out... I wanted Noah in the worst way, but he would not allow it. Ethan had come up a couple of time, then my DH leaned over and kissed my belly and said to it "Ethan". My heart melted at that moment and so became Ethan James.
Ethan James born May 26th, 2004 at 3:55 p.m. weighing 7 pounds 3 ounces.

Closed Thread