It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-08-2004, 10:02 AM   #1
(female)

mrsb816 HB User
breech baby, trying aversion

I am about 36 weeks and my little guy is still breech. At my hospital they won't try to deliver a first baby that is breech so my dr. wants to try to do an aversion. He is a family practice dr. so he's sending me to an ob on Tuesday where I'm sure I'll get info on what the procedure involves but I was wondering if any of you ladies knew anything about the procedure or had actually experienced it and would be willing to share your story. A coworker of my DH who is also expecting said she's heard it is VERY painful so now I'm a little scared and am trying to prepare myself for the worst. Anyway, any info would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Old 09-08-2004, 02:45 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Dakota HB User
Re: breech baby, trying aversion

Yipes! I have no clue but wanted to wish you the best of luck!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-08-2004, 07:09 PM   #3
Inactive

Fruit Loop HB User

It's actually called a "Version" and from what I've heard, they are very painfull MOST of the time. Not all the time.
They will push hard on your belly, pushing on the baby's hip and shoulder I believe to try and get him/her to turn head down.
It doesn't always work, and you should be closely monitored after for signs of labor or baby distress.

How far along are you?

Old 09-08-2004, 07:11 PM   #4
Inactive

Fruit Loop HB User

nevermind, I see you are 36 weeks...just make sure they monitor you and baby closely during and after the version.
Good luck to you, I hope it works!

Old 09-08-2004, 09:28 PM   #5
(female)

mrsb816 HB User

Thanks for the info. The dr. did say that I'd have to stay and be monitored a while incase it triggers labor and he also said that they would be monitoring the baby's heart beat the whole time b/c there is concern about the cord getting wrapped in which case they would have to do an emergency c section. Just one more thing to worry about. Hopefully once I can talk to the ob and get all of the info I'll be more reassured about the situation. Or we can hope that he'll stop being stubborn and flip on his own. Thanks for the advice and well wishes.

Old 09-08-2004, 09:58 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

barton93 HB User

I am a nursing student (specializing in labor and delivery) and there are risks to having this procedure done.....onset of labor, premature rupture of membranes, fetal distress, need of an emergency c-section, damage to the placenta. The risk is very minor though and since this isn't usually done before 37 weeks, it really doesn't pose much threat since the baby is almost term.

There is only about a 60-70% success rate with this as well.

Prior to the procedure, an ultrasound will be done to confirm the position of the baby and the placenta. A nonstress test usually is done as well to make sure the baby's heart rate is normal. Meds are given to relax the uterus and in some cases an epidural can be administered. The doctor will then place his hands on your abdomen, locate the baby's parts, and gently push the baby's bottom out of your pelvis. The doctor then tries to maneuver the baby so that the head will enter the pelvis.

After the procedure another nonstress test would most likely be performed to again check the baby. If unsuccessful, another attempt could be made at a later date, or you could just opt for a c-section. If successful and everything looks ok (no distress or anything of that nature) you would be able to go home and wait for labor to begin. Even if successful, there is always that chance that it could revert back to breech as well..........but I wouldn't think that happens to often.

I myself have not had this done so I cannot tell you of my personal experience with it. I do know of a few people that have had this done and I have also witnessed it and there is a level of discomfort and the people that I know and the times I've seen it done have been a success.

Good luck.

Old 09-11-2004, 05:41 PM   #7

DepecheJan HB User

Hi Mrs. B,

Just wanted to wish you luck. My baby was breech also (complete breech). My doctor doesn't use the version anymore--said it was too painful and didn't have the right success rate. I delivered at 39 weeks on August 11 by scheduled c-section and had a great experience.

Don't laugh but my doctor actually suggested a candle from an Asian store. The candle is supposed to change the baby's position and has a 70% success rate. I didn't bother trying it (was kind of surprised and baffled by the suggestion), but figured I would mention it.

If you do an internet search, somewhere there is a video of a woman getting a version performed. It made it look fast and not too bad. Some people have said it wasn't bad, but I was nervous too. I was kind of relieved my doctor didn't want to do it.

Anyway, just wanted to wish you luck!!!

Old 09-12-2004, 08:10 PM   #8
(female)

mrsb816 HB User

Thanks for the info and the well wishes. I'm going to the ob Tuesday to a consultation and after we get all the info dh and I will evaluate the situation. Part of me is scared and now that I've heard the success rate is so low I'm considering just opting for a c-section BUT I also really wanted to have him naturally. I feel like I'd be missing out on something even if it is painful. Maybe that's stupid and I'll need to just get over it but I'm really torn about the whole situation. I'm trying not to worry about it too much yet. I want to get all the info before I try to make a decision and I figure I'm only 36 1/2 so he may still turn on his own. I don't know but I really do appreciate you ladies and your comments. Its always nice to know there's someone else out there who's been in your shoes.

Old 09-13-2004, 03:01 PM   #9

elvispupy HB User

There are actually many things you can do to turn a breech baby without resorting to a version. You are early enough you could still try some of these things. The "asian candle" a previous poster mentioned is moxibustion (you can do an internet search on that) there is also a chiropractic technique called Webster that can be done, not all chiros can do this manuver so you will have to check around, there are positioning exercises you can do: Do 3 times daily for 10-15 minutes each time, when you have an empty stomach, and the baby is active. Prop one end of an ironing board securely on a sofa or chair 12 to 18 inches high (or may use slant board). Lie down, bend knees but keep feet flat on board. Relax, breathe deeply, avoid tenseness. May also use pillows on a flat surface to raise hips 12-18" above shoulders. you can also do "knee-chest exercises" is get on your elbows and knees, so your hips are higher than her head, and to stay in that position for 15-20 minutes a few times a day. I've also heard of handstands in a swimming pool and playing music down by your pelvis (while laying on the ironing board) to help entice baby to turn towards the music. If you do an internet search on breech turning techniques, you will find more Ideas too.

If you do go for the version, be as relaxed as possible and make sure to hydrate yourself well from now till then, a higher fluid volume will make a version more likely to succeed.

Good Luck

-Laura

Old 09-13-2004, 03:09 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

siren1024 HB User

My first baby was breech for a long time and turned on his own at 36-37 weeks. But my doc doesn't even recommend versions for 1st timers. The success rate is even lower in first time pregnancies, often less than 50% and each individual doctor will have his or her personal success rate, too. Some may be better at it that others.

I had already made up my mind to go with c-sec. when he turned. Good luck with whatever you decide!
DD born 3/24/2005

Closed Thread