It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-17-2004, 11:13 AM   #1
Veteran

0603david HB User
8 hour glucose testing after failing 1 hour???

Hi everyone-

My SIL just failed her 1 hour test. Her sugar is 186. My doc is sending her for an 8 hour test. YIKES! How many times do they draw your blood. And if any of you have failed your 3 hour or 8 hour test, how early were you forced to have your baby???

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-17-2004, 01:13 PM   #2

MoonGoddess672 HB User
Re: 8 hour glucose testing after failing 1 hour???

BLESS HER SOUL!!

I had to go for a 5 hour glucose test since I failed my 1hr due to the fact my sugar was two points higher than average!!
It was horrible, it was two 1/2 years ago so I really don't rememeber the whole thing. I know they took my blood once before I drank the "soda" substance ( which was ten times stronger than the first time I had to drink it) then one hour after I took it and every hour after that for five hours.
I know I had to fast and I wasn't even allowed to move around that much and since I was still having morning sickness I ended up pucking before my last time getting blood drawn.
Luckily though I was fine but seriously thats alot of strain for a pregnant woman to go through. I hope I didn't scare you, I am being honest on my experience, its just not fun. I hope everything works out for you...GOOD LUCK!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-17-2004, 05:02 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

barton93 HB User

I am a diabetic and when I had my kids I was considered to be a high risk pregnancy, but I was not forced to deliver either of my kids early. They basically just kept an eye on things and watched that my kids weren't getting to large or anything like that.

Basically, if sugars are controlled while pregnant whether by diet, insulin or whatever........chances are things should go fine. But, if sugars are not controlled, then that could be damaging to the baby and an early delivery may be needed.

I didn't require early delivery for either of my children and I am a diabetic pregnant or not. My SIL had gestational diabetes during her pregnancy.......and she didn't control it like she should have, so she ended up on insulin......but she still went to term and everything was fine. So, it all depends on the severity of the diabetes and how it is controlled.

Old 09-18-2004, 12:52 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

haleysmum HB User

Hi I thought you may have asked me this in November moms LOL
As you know I am diabetic type 2. Anyway Im not sure what the policy is in the United States, but over here in Australia they do not let a diabetic pregnant woman go further than 38 weeks. I was actually booked in to have Haley at 37 weeks last year, but she ended up coming on her own 2 days before that It is likely I will also have this one at 37 weeks too. This is mainly due to the fact that the baby can become distressed if its getting too big. Also there is a very small risk of death in utero with diabeties for some reason WOW 8 hourse ! I have never ever heard of a test taking that long. It is normally 3 hours over here, sometimes less. That does seem like a very long time for a pregnant lady to have to endure If I was her I would seek a second opinion. Anyway I hope things work out for her

Old 09-18-2004, 09:48 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

siren1024 HB User

Just so you know there's possibility. I failed my 1 hr. with a 190....

And passed the three hour. But I was SICK SICK SICK as a dog because I have a type of hypoclycemia where my blood sugar spikes at 1 hour then crashes by three. My three hour reading my blood sugar was 60. I could barely walk into the house without passing out. Spent the rest of the day on the couch slurring speech with my DH spoonfeeding me peanut butter until I could function. Yuck.

But I know alot of other people who failed the 1 hour and passed the 3 hour.
DD born 3/24/2005

Last edited by siren1024; 09-18-2004 at 09:49 PM.

Old 09-19-2004, 08:54 AM   #6
Veteran
(female)

ahall HB User

Hi,

I also failed the one hour test. They sent me for the 3 hour test and when I went in they took blood, gave me a glucose orange drink, took blood again one hour later for the next 2 hours on the ***, and sent me home. I passed that test. They said its very common to fail the 1 hour test!!!

Closed Thread