It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-23-2004, 03:42 PM   #1

PJ1126 HB User
what does it feel like when your water breaks & when contractions start?

I'm now in my 37th week and wondering what these things feel like. Last night, I leaked some urine and wasn't sure if it was my water breaking. It was a very small amount & nothing else happened. I called the OB Triage at my hospital & they said that if I leaked any more, to come in - but I didn't. I see my doc tomorrow.

For those of you who have had your water break, what was it like? A lot? A little? Was it obvious to you that it happened?

Also, re: contractions....I barely feel the Braxton Hicks contractions...I'm sure I won't "miss" the contractions - but want to be sure I'll really know. They'll hurt more, right? Beyond just tightening of the uterus?

Thanks a lot...

P.

Old 09-23-2004, 05:37 PM   #2
Senior Veteran

Chrissi HB User
Re: what does it feel like when your water breaks & when contractions start?

well in my case when my water broke it was alot...so i knew right then what happened...but some women can just start with a tear in the sac and leak a little at a time....and everytime i had a contraction i would have another big gush of water...

the contractions ..to me...felt like a VERY STRONG menstral cramps....at first then they get stronger and longer...i was already 4 cm when i got to the hospital and within the next hour i was at 7 cm and then i delivered less than 3 hours after my water broke in the am.

i had been having the menstral like cramps for about a week or so before i actually went into labor...so watch out for them, they can be a sign

good luck to you

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-23-2004, 06:55 PM   #3

Amy2003 HB User

I too would like to know what contractions feel like.

I have been having really bad low back ache and tighting feeling in my pelivs like menstrual cramps since morning but the intensity is the same. They have not gotten stronger or more painful. My water has not broken but i lost my mucous plug yesterday. Does this mean i will be going into labour soon.

Old 09-23-2004, 08:25 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

hillaryb HB User

my contractions from labor were totally different from braxton-hicks. Not that the BH contractions dont hurt! Labor for me was not just a tightening in my abdomen, the pain was like period cramps times a hundred, mostly in my back and legs. They progressively get more and more painful. I went to the hospital with my first when I could hardly walk anymore-so I was pretty sure it was labor! lol. My water didnt break with my 2 daughters-they broke it for me, so it was obviously a HUGE gush. Very uncomfortable spending hours wet like that, no matter how many times they changed the pad below me. It is ALOT. I read that most people dont really break their water on their own. it does happen, but more often it will be broken for you, to speed things up. And it really does! I did have my water break naturally from a late miscarriage, I literally felt a small popping sensation, and had almost a visual image of a small baloon bursting. I was only 4 mos pregnant at the time though. I found my first labor scary and the contractions were in control of me, with my second, I worked with them and was even able to recognize my transition phase (the time you dialate rapidly to ten) marked by hard fast contractions and almost violent shaking. I could handle it that time though. It almost felt productive . Labor for me was dramatically different from stomach pains, or BH. I have a feeling you will be able to tell the difference. I think the idea that we all run to the hospital with indigestion is an old wive's tale. You will probably have more pain than usual the week or so before, but labor will be way more intense, and should get more painful, hour by hour. Good luck girls!

Old 09-23-2004, 11:02 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

packerfan4ever HB User

My water only broke on it's own with my second daughter; but you know it's happening. It wasn't very much. It seemed like it was an amount of an average sized urinating session. It broke on my water bed--what a coincidence! It's VERY warm-like when you have a heavy flow of your period. (do we remember what that's like? ) BUT obviously more liquid-like.
Contractions start out as STRONG menstrual cramps. Some of you may know what Irritable Bowel Syndrome feels like--they can feel like those types of cramps too. That is only the beginning...
eventually the pain moves to your back, your legs....and they get more intense as the cervix dilates. They hurt like HECK! They seem to get SOMEWHAT better when it's time to push--maybe because you are concentrating on the pushing and getting the baby out, and your body KNOWS IT'S ALMOST OVER!!!
Just remember--you WILL make it through. Swear if you have to, squeeze your partners hand HARD, blame the partner for being in this mess, threaten to sue the doctor if he/she doesn't ease the pain...do whatever it takes, and you will be fine! GOOD LUCK!!!

Old 09-24-2004, 04:22 AM   #6
(female)

Breez HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy2003
I too would like to know what contractions feel like.

I have been having really bad low back ache and tighting feeling in my pelivs like menstrual cramps since morning but the intensity is the same. They have not gotten stronger or more painful. My water has not broken but i lost my mucous plug yesterday. Does this mean i will be going into labour soon.
That might be quite possible. With my last pregnancy, when I lost the mucus plug I started having strong contractions a few hours later. The morning it happened I was already having back labor.. so ya never know! Good luck

Old 09-24-2004, 05:45 AM   #7
Senior Veteran

reni HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ1126
For those of you who have had your water break, what was it like? A lot? A little? Was it obvious to you that it happened?

Also, re: contractions....I barely feel the Braxton Hicks contractions...I'm sure I won't "miss" the contractions - but want to be sure I'll really know. They'll hurt more, right? Beyond just tightening of the uterus?

Thanks a lot...

P.
With my first child, I had just gone to bed when I felt an odd little pinch in my abdomen. I said to my husband, "I think my water just broke" and asked for a towel. Nothing was coming out yet, but women's intuition told me to be prepared As soon as I stood up, wowee! Tidal wave! I couldn't believe how much water came out of me. I could definitely tell it wasn't urine.. it didn't smell or look like urine, plus when I (and everyone else) urinate it comes out in a stream... this was like a bucket being overturned all at once. I made it to the bathroom and another big gush came out.

With my second, I had just gotten up from the couch when >pow< There was no little pinch first... no warning at all. It really takes you by surprise.

In both cases, nothing happened for a couple of hours after my water broke, except for bloody show. The first time I actually said, "When am I going to get labor pains??" seconds before I got hit with a massive contraction. I literally had to hang on to the wall to keep from keeling over. Contractions to me felt like horrible abdominal cramps. I've never gotten period cramps, so the best I can describe them is when you have a really bad intestinal bug.

Having said all that, it's important to know that when/if you water breaks, it can be a slow trickle, depending on where the break is. Labor pains can start off as a mild backache or cramping that lasts for days. We're all different.

Hope this helps! Have a wonderful labor and delivery!

Old 09-24-2004, 06:28 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

jmcummins3 HB User

With my daughter, my water didn't break on it's own. When I got to the hospital and was dialated to 7, the doctor broke it. I had diarrhea with a lot of cramping, and I first thought I just ate something that didn't agree with me (she was 9 days early). After a little while, they got more intense and I realized that the bad cramps were coming at consistent intervals. They started out at 5 minutes apart (after I realized it might be labor) and by the time I timed them for an hour, they were 2 minutes apart.

Old 09-24-2004, 07:53 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ratatosk HB UserRatatosk HB User

I THOUGHT my water broke in the middle of the night -- DH says I wet the bed, but it didn't smell like urine. And I had a little bit of pink discharge. I had been having yellowish discharge all day.

I went to the doctor the next morning to check and I was dialated 1 cm. I had pains every 10 minutes --- like a really bad upset stomach. Finally couldn't stand it and went back to the hospital the next evening and was told I was going to have my baby the next day -- then they broke my water.

Old 09-24-2004, 10:10 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

kierrasmommy HB User

My water broke when I was in bed, thankgod I had put one of those waterproof pads under my side of the bed! I had gone into early labor before and was told if I had 9 or more contractions in an hour (for first baby), leaking, blood or pain to go in. Most of the time I'd have regular contractions for a half hour then they'd slow down. When my water broke it was just a tiny gush like maybe my bladder had let loose, I had been wearing maxipads for a couple weeks because the baby had been pushing on my bladder and if I coughed or laughed I would leak...my lamaze class said any kind of a leak should be checked though, so if the leaking persists I would just go ensure it's urine and not amniotic fluid. When I felt it, it was warm and really did feel like maybe I peed, but I couldn't believe I would just pee with no warning and I didn't have the empty bladder feeling so I wasn't quite sure. After I felt the leak I got up and went to the bathroom and as long as I was standing or sitting upright nothing more would come, if I layed down or leaned forward and take the baby's head pressure of my cervix it would gush a bit again so I knew it was my water. My contractions didn't feel any different for a couple hours and it wasn't until 9 hours later that I was in FULL labor and had the painful contractions, they had gotten stronger all along and kept getting closer but because they weren't strong enough, they weren't doing much, they put me on pitocin the give me stronger contractions and get things going and it did the trick. Early labor contractions are hard to tell the difference between Braxton Hicks contractions. It's usually not until later that they intensify. You sometimes will feel back pain as well. They feel like extreme menstrual cramps. Or when you get the flu and have intense diarhea cramps...both X 10.
But right when you are holding that new baby in your arms you do forget how intense labor can really be, it's all worth it!
Goodluck.
P.S I didn't pass my mucus plug or bloody show until a few hours after my water broke...this can happen earlier, if you are dialating before labor begins, or once you have started labor, when my water broke I wasn't dialated so it wasn't until I did start dialating that it came out.

Last edited by kierrasmommy; 09-24-2004 at 10:12 AM. Reason: add

Closed Thread