It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-27-2004, 04:32 PM   #1
(female)

dolphin27 HB User
Question Ovulation Test

This might sound a little out there. Does an ovulation test read the same for a pregnant woman as it would a nonpregnant woman? Meaning once a woman gets pregnant, and takes an ovulation test after she's already conceived(past ovulation) would it read as being not ovulating? I hope that made sense, I confused myself even more then I already was while trying to figure out how to put my question into words!

Old 09-27-2004, 05:20 PM   #2
Senior Veteran

Lawgirl HB User
Re: Ovulation Test

I think the short answer is "No, it's different."

Supposedly you are able to use an opk as an hpt. Opks detect LH, which is structurally very similar to HCG. The two hormones are nearly identical chemically, but one of them is missing one ingredient that the other has (I forget which is which). I THINK HCG has one extra componant that LH doesn't have. So, an opk will detect HCG (because HCG is essentially LH plus a little something else), but a hpt won't detect LH, because hpts are designed to detect only that certain combination of chemicals that make up HCG.

I think an opk would turn up two lines for a pregnant woman, but I'm not sure if it would show the "as dark or darker than" line required to get a positive opk for ovulation. I took an opk at about 8dpo (I actually WAS pregnant) and got two lines, but the second line was not as dark as the control line. I don't know if that should have told me I was pregnant, or maybe it just should have told me I'm addicted to peeing on sticks!

There is some information about this on the internet, probably much better explanations than I gave.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-28-2004, 06:26 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Blastoff9600 HB UserBlastoff9600 HB User

No because ovulation tests will normally show two lines no matter what. The two lines are for you to compare each other. If the non control one is as dark or darker than the control line your about to O. When the line is fainter it just means your surge hasnt occurred yet. OPKs can not be used to detect pregnancy simply because they arent designed to.
Two lines will show up on OPKs because that is how they are designed so you can compare the lines.
TTC #3 since 01/02

Old 09-28-2004, 08:38 AM   #4
Senior Veteran

Lawgirl HB User

I've only read about using opks as hpts on the internet, and I am careful to take everything on the internet as potentially false, but the explanations make sense to me.

As I understand it, there are two componants of LH (which is what opks detect). I am going to call those two componants A1 and A2. I have no idea what they are actually called, but I know it has something to do with Alpha, which is why I picked A.

Also, as I understand it, HCG is made up of 4 componants. Again, I'm making up names: B1 and B2, but also A1 and A2 (the same A1 and A2 as is in LH). (the B letters have something to do with Beta, as in when people say "I got my Betas back and it is 307," or whatever.)

So, if an opk is designed to detect A1 and A2, in order to show "positive," it makes sense that it would also detect hcg, because hcg contains A1 and A2, plus some other stuff.

Again, I got this info from the internet, so who knows what it's worth. I'm just inclined to believe the stufff that comes with an explanation, more than I am inclined to believe the stuff that just states a conclusion. That explanation makes sense to me. On the other hand, I didn't believe I was pregnant until I got a positive hpt (actually, 2!). I wouldn't recommend using an opk as an hpt without more information because to me it's just not reliable. That said, it's fun, during the 2ww to have something to do, and I swear using that opk and pondering that for a few days kept me from using a hpt too early.

Last edited by Lawgirl; 09-28-2004 at 08:38 AM.

Closed Thread