It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-30-2004, 04:38 PM   #1

Shadyfeline HB User
Small Uterus

I just had my first prenatal visit which besides the bloodwork and exam I thought would be pretty routine. Then as the doctor is feeling around inside he says "well the uterus seems to be smaller than expected" and I said is that good or bad and he said "well you may not be as far along as thought to be, the uterus could be tilted back and the baby isn't that big yet I probably wouldn't be able to hear a heartbeat"
I've been charting my BBT on FF and it also says I am 8w1d how could I be less than that? So he continued to write two referrals that said,
1. Ultrasound asap
Size < Beta
Viability WHAT!!
(they gave me a ultrasound date of 10/25, too long!!)

2. Genetic Counseling
(My husband has a rare eye disease, understandable)

and then a prescription for prenatal pills, needless to say I am very worried and not as content as I was before this stupid appointment.
My mom, etc. are telling me not to worry and giving me examples of ppl who were told had small uteruses blah blah blah, well I don't like the thought of something being wrong. Has anyone's doc said something similar to them to ease my mind??
Thanks

Old 09-30-2004, 05:54 PM   #2
Senior Veteran

Chrissi HB User
Re: Small Uterus

i cant say i have any experience in this, but i would try to get an ultrsound sooner just to put your mind at ease....there probably isnt to much to worry about

maybe he is mistaken anyway, maybe you are just shaped differently.

when i was pregnant with my DD i was about 33 weeks along and they felt around on me and said my baby was already 7-8 lbs....well the ulrrasound i had right after showed a 5 lb baby, she was delivered at 36.6 weeks only weighing 6 lbs.....sometimes they dont get it right!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-01-2004, 06:57 AM   #3
Inactive
(female)

Momx2in04 HB User

All babies and uterus' grow at different rates, especially in the first trimester. Get your u/s appt moved up so you can get some peace. I know how hard it is to be told things like this by the doctors - they are always giving out extra information that does nothing but cause needless worry. I'm sure everything will be FINE - what you described is very common and as long as you aren't having any cramping, spotting, etc...you're fine. Think of it this way, the doctor didn't rush you in for an immediate u/s, he scheduled it for 3 weeks away, so that tells you the level of concern is low. Hope it goes well for you!

Old 10-01-2004, 09:03 AM   #4
(female)

jeff's girl HB User

I had the same thing happen with both of my babies. I do have a small uterus and it is tilted, so I was always smaller than I should have been, at least as they measured. One of my due dates was wrong also, so when I had the sono, they changed it and this explained the smallness. When I'm not pregnant, my uterus is small, so I guess it depends on the person. This is certainly something I knew nothing about when I first found out I was pregnant. I measured smaller than I should've through my entire first pregnancy. HOWEVER, my son weighed 8 lbs 10 oz. So get checked, but don't stress. I would ask to have my sono moved up though just so you can rest at ease. Chances are, there isn't a thing to worry about and you deserve to know that. Hope I've helped a little.

Old 10-01-2004, 09:26 AM   #5

Shadyfeline HB User

Thanks for the replies, I am more at ease now I spoke with someone at the hospital today and she said there is no immediate worry and no need to make the ultra sound any sooner unless I am cramping or bleeding which I am not, I actually feel good!

Old 10-01-2004, 08:08 PM   #6
(female)

mrsb816 HB User

The dr. was concerned all through my pregnancy b/c my uterus was small. I was a little worried too but I had my son 9/19 and he is perfect in every way. There's no reason to think that just b/c your uterus is a little small that you can't have a normal pregancy. Try not to worry and good luck.

Old 10-01-2004, 08:56 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

kierrasmommy HB User

Don't worry...I know...easier said than done...I've been there too...My first OB appointment I told the Dr I wasn't sure if I was 9 or 13 weeks pregnant, she said that it would be easy to tell from the size of my uterus when she felt it...well when she felt it, her exact words were, "I don't feel anything" She booked me for an ultrasound a month away and refused to perscribe me morning sickness pills until after the ultrasound...so all night and most of the next day I worried myself sick thinking I wasn't even pregnant, or had a molar pregnancy or would miscarry at any point...so a friend told me to go to the hospital. I went and explained to them that I was just too upset to wait to know if I was or wasn't pregnant, the nurse prepared me for all the possibilities (all of which I had been worried about) but after about 4 minutes of searching I was able to hear her heartbeat for the first time...I started crying immediately, to the point that she couldn't get the heartbeat back again, I was sobbing so hard with complete relief and happiness. I know I was still able to move my appointment up a week or so by calling around to other ultrasound clinics. And it turned out I just had a tilted uterus. Keep us posted, Goodluck.

Closed Thread