It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-14-2004, 08:45 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

Nutshell HB User
Angry Glue Fumes!

Okay. These people here at work are having new carpet put down. The glue fumes are so strong they are giving me a headache and making me sick to my stomach. Can anyone tell me why these fumes are so bad? I canít remember.
DS born 3/14/03
EDD 3/19/05

Old 10-14-2004, 08:52 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

ducki979 HB User
Re: Glue Fumes!

the toxic fumes from any kind of paints or adhesives (in your case glue)...can be very dangerous if inhaled. (you getting a headache is a sign from your own body telling you this).
try to stay in a ventilated area as often as possible and keep yourself away from the concentrated area of the glue fumes as often as you can!

(i own and operated a painting company ...until i found out i was pregnant...and my doc put up every red flag she could find....so now my brother is running and operating the company....and i have to find something else to do with myself....)

not trying to scare you...but please be careful

Cara

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-14-2004, 10:14 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

kierrasmommy HB User

If you can't stay in a ventilated area ask to maybe take a day or two off if possible until the fumes have died down, or maybe get a fan and have it blow in your face so it hopefully blows the fumes away from you. When you are pregnant smells are intensified so that could be part of the reason too. I was the same with paint when I was pregnant, My husband painted the baby's room and I stayed downstairs but still got a headache.

Last edited by kierrasmommy; 10-14-2004 at 10:15 AM.

Old 10-14-2004, 10:27 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

Nutshell HB User

How will this affect my baby?
DS born 3/14/03
EDD 3/19/05

Old 10-14-2004, 01:12 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

ducki979 HB User

Short term exposure really has little risk to your baby, but you can take steps to avoid those short exposures too....keep in mind that the fumes that you are smelling ARE less toxic than smoking cigarettes or standing behind a bus for a while, but if they are affecting you, i would try and avoid them as much as possible..

please keep in mind that i am posting this only because you asked what i could possibly do to your baby!....this DOES NOT necessarily mean that anything bad will happen, so please dont get all freaked out.

1. Birth defects can be caused by chemicals or drugs which alter the development of organs. This means birth defects only occur in the first three months of pregnancy as the organs are forming.

2. Toxic effects are various kinds of "poisoning" which can occur at any stage of pregnancy and even after birth. For example, lead can damage brain function at any time from early in conception even through adulthood. But it is the fetus that is most susceptible.

i pulled this off a website that is from an organization that im sure you are all familiar with...having to do with babies and birth defects...and i....when i found out i was pregnant and had been painting...wanted to know what MIGHT happen....
this same site basically said too that you should not worry about things that you did before you knew (and that includes worrying too much about what you didnt know could be a problem as far as chemicals are concerned)

i really hope that i didnt confuse you...and i really DO NOT mean to scare you, but you did ask what could happen

PLEASE dont worry too much, just protect yourself!

Hugs....Cara

Old 10-14-2004, 01:25 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

Nutshell HB User

Hey Cara. Thanks. I am not going to let it worry me. Donít yell at me or scold me but I smoke. I cut back from over a pack a day to 6 a day. It isnít so bad now. I canít ask for time off b/c of the company I work for. They practically donít care about you or your family.
DS born 3/14/03
EDD 3/19/05

Old 10-14-2004, 01:41 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

ducki979 HB User

i didnt mean to sound like i was yelling....and as for smoking....i am in EXACTLY the same boat as you!.....down from a pack and a half a day to about 5-6...really...i didnt mean to sound preachy....just thought i d pass the info along!
im telling you....sometimes i wonder if its easier to crawl under a rock when your pregnant....that way....ya dont know nuthin!
i know its all worth it in the end, but some of the warnings that we hear would be enough to scare anyone under a rock....and isnt it ALWAYS the womans fault in the end because SHE could have done something about it?!??!....
I WANNA SLAP THOSE PEOPLE!!!!!!

***SMACK***

there....i feel better!

how are you feeling today???

my heads still half screwed on...does that count?!?!

Cara

Old 10-14-2004, 02:49 PM   #8
Senior Veteran

jenn.e HB User

Dont want to scare you but when they put new tile down at my work, they found us find a new place to stay for a few days because of the fumes. Can you open windows?

Old 10-15-2004, 01:06 PM   #9
Veteran
(female)

Nutshell HB User

Hey Cara. I had a feeling you wouldn't look down on me for smoking. Whew! I'm glad I was right. I think we have done good to cut back that much. How far along are you? The glue fumes are gone. They got the carpet down and you can't smell the glue anymore today. We had a little food party for Boss's Day and I am tired of smelling the food today! HEEHEE! I just like to gripe huh?!

I know what you mean about crawling under a rock. Makes you wonder how our grandparents and great-grandparents were ever able to raise kids. There is so much now they tell you not to do that you know they did back then. I think alot of stuff now is overrated.
DS born 3/14/03
EDD 3/19/05

Old 10-16-2004, 07:03 AM   #10
Veteran
(female)

ducki979 HB User

I AGREE WITH THE OVERRATED THING!!!!
*dont eat it
*dont take it
*dont smell it
*dont look at it....it might be BAD!

do you ever feel this way?!??!

I am 10 wks and i think i might actually be starting to feel human again!
Ive had a miserable cold for the past week, and now only have to contend with the post nasal drip (i think id rather be sick again!)
aside from that though....i havent been sick (ie...m/s) in a few weeks, and all of my clothes still fit....havent been dizzy or had headaches in a week or so either.
now that all the crappy symptoms are pretty much gone...there really are days where i wish i would LOOK pregnant so i would FEEL pregnant....i know....soon enough i will be wishing i didnt say that, but for now...that s how i feel!

When are you due??
How have you been feeling??

Keep me posted!

Cara
1st baby due May 14, 2005

Closed Thread