It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-26-2004, 06:37 AM   #1

Claudia77 HB User
Pregnant and new to the USA

Hello,

Firstly I'd like to say hi, I'm new to these boards and this is my first post..

So first things first... Hello everyone

I've just found out that I am pregnant.. This is EXCELLENT news for my husband and I as I've always had the worry that somehow I'd have problems conceiving..

My husband and I are normally from England.. In England we get national health, which means I'd have my baby without the worry of the financial implications. However we have recently migrated to start a new life in Florida.. Literally last week !!!! So aside of all the stress of the massive move we've not sorted ourselves out health insurance !! Then yesterday I found out that I was pregnant..

I've called a couple of insurance companies to ask what I need to do, to get myself insured and NO-ONE wants to insure me because I'm pregnant...

I really don't know what to do ? We have just moved here, and I am a little lost that no-one will insure, nor no-one will give a cost on what we could expect to pay ?

I hate to think that I'd have no choice other than to come back to England and have my child over there !! which would mean that my husband would have to stay over here, whilst I'm over there.. Plus you can't fly whilst heavily pregnant or when the baby is a new-born, so I'd have to live apart from my husband for weeks and weeks..

Would anyone here be able to throw light on this subject for us as I can't believe that a nation of 300million people just go ahead and take the risk of financial ruin because all they wanted to do was start a family !

Any advice is appreciated.

Claudia

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-26-2004, 06:47 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

jmcummins3 HB User
Re: Pregnant and new to the USA

Claudia, welcome! Florida is a beautiful state. I've visited there a few times.

As far as health insurance, does your husband have a job lined up? Most of us get our health insurance through an employer (either yours or your spouse's). In that case, they should cover your pregnancy. If not, you can call the health department and ask them about benefits available to you and the baby. Unfortunately, health insurance is a growing concern in this country.

If you are paying for it yourself, your doctor should be able to tell you how much it will cost for prenatal care and to have your baby. Keep in mind the hospital also has charges for the facility and anesthesia, so you will need to ask them too.

Old 10-26-2004, 06:57 AM   #3

Alleyne HB User

Welcome and Congrats Claudia!

Where in Florida may I ask?

I would start searching for a doctor... let them know you do not have insurance due to being new in the US... and they should be able to direct you to some help or let you know how much you'd have to pay per visit to help pay for the entire pregnancy. Obviously... it is not going to be inexpensive... but it'll give you some insight on how much a month you'll need to set aside.

I know my doctor's office sent me a letter telling me exactly how much I would have to pay each visit up to 28 weeks so far. They broke it down and I would most likely start to make payments in another 2 visits or so. I have insurance... but without getting into too much detail... it'll run out until the beginning of the year when I get another sum of money to spend.

Bottom line I suppose is... how much are you willing to... or how much can you.. spend to have your child here in the US with your husband... that is what you are going to have to discuss. Because you do have an alternative to have your child in England.
Quote:
"Would anyone here be able to throw light on this subject for us as I can't believe that a nation of 300million people just go ahead and take the risk of financial ruin because all they wanted to do was start a family !"
I won't touch this one... that is a loaded statement that has many different opinions and I am pretty sure you'd not appreciate my answer.

I wish you the best with you new life and family! Hope you are able to find some answers soon.

Old 10-26-2004, 08:20 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

dh22 HB User

i would call medic aide if you could

Last edited by dh22; 10-26-2004 at 08:20 AM.

Old 10-26-2004, 09:09 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kiera1595 HB User

If all of your papers are in line you should be able to apply for assistance. I had just started a job when I found out I was pregnant. Many places over here make you wait 2 months before your insurance kicks in. So I was told that I may need to apply. Fortunately it worked out. I think you will find that we have assistance programs for EVERYTHING over here. You just have to do some research. Like someone else suggested...find a doctor (or just call one from the yellow pages) and ask what you can do...someone there will probably have some answers for you. Welcome to the states and sunny Florida...wow what a change from back home!

Old 10-26-2004, 09:30 AM   #6

Claudia77 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmcummins3
Claudia, welcome! Florida is a beautiful state. I've visited there a few times.

As far as health insurance, does your husband have a job lined up? Most of us get our health insurance through an employer (either yours or your spouse's). In that case, they should cover your pregnancy. If not, you can call the health department and ask them about benefits available to you and the baby. Unfortunately, health insurance is a growing concern in this country.

If you are paying for it yourself, your doctor should be able to tell you how much it will cost for prenatal care and to have your baby. Keep in mind the hospital also has charges for the facility and anesthesia, so you will need to ask them too.
Hi, thanx for your reply.. My husband and I are now self employed so we don't have any health as yet.. We were going to get some sorted within the next few weeks, but now I'm are pregnant it's opened up a whole new can of worms..

Regards

Old 10-26-2004, 01:17 PM   #7

mattswife HB User

yea medicade is really easy to get with u being pregnant so i hope all goes well and welcome to the states:P GooD LucK Hun

Old 10-26-2004, 01:38 PM   #8

Claudia77 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattswife
yea medicade is really easy to get with u being pregnant so i hope all goes well and welcome to the states:P GooD LucK Hun
Please forgive my ignorance, but I'm so new to all this.. What exactly is Medicade ? Is it a healthcare company that insures women even though they are already pregnant ? I've had a little look on the net and all it showed was stuff for elderly people. I'm only 27 and NOT a US Citizen. I'm British but living in the USA without any healthcare..

Thanks in advance

Old 10-26-2004, 01:57 PM   #9
Inactive
(female)

Momx2in04 HB User

You can't buy maternity insurance in FL if you are already pg, unfortunately. But there are other options...someone mentioned checking with social services which is a great idea, you might get full coverage for free through that option. In the event that doesn't work, you can purchase medical expense plans that may be used for maternity expenses, although some of these have requirements like waiting periods and restrictions on the number of hours you must work, etc. You should also contact the hospital you plan to deliver at and ask if they have a flat maternity fee for vaginal and c-section deliveries; almost all do. I think your best option is to go to social services and explain your situation; it is almost a certainty that you will get some, if not full, coverage through them, being new to the US and already pregnant.

(PS Medicaid is a goverment-funded program that provides medical assistance to those in need, whether for financial or other reasons. Look them up in the phone book or online...then just call and set up an appointment.)

Good luck!

Last edited by Momx2in04; 10-26-2004 at 01:59 PM.

Old 10-26-2004, 04:47 PM   #10

Claudia77 HB User
Thumbs up Re: Pregnant and new to the USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momx2in04
You can't buy maternity insurance in FL if you are already pg, unfortunately. But there are other options...someone mentioned checking with social services which is a great idea, you might get full coverage for free through that option. In the event that doesn't work, you can purchase medical expense plans that may be used for maternity expenses, although some of these have requirements like waiting periods and restrictions on the number of hours you must work, etc. You should also contact the hospital you plan to deliver at and ask if they have a flat maternity fee for vaginal and c-section deliveries; almost all do. I think your best option is to go to social services and explain your situation; it is almost a certainty that you will get some, if not full, coverage through them, being new to the US and already pregnant.

(PS Medicaid is a goverment-funded program that provides medical assistance to those in need, whether for financial or other reasons. Look them up in the phone book or online...then just call and set up an appointment.)

Good luck!
many thanx for your advice

Old 10-27-2004, 07:02 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

jmcummins3 HB User

There are talks within the presidency of making it easier for small businesses to get health insurance (and affordable), but being self-employed and needing insurance is still difficult in the U.S. I am also self-employed (insurance is individual based on your health for the self-employed), but my husband works for a larger company, so we get our insurance through his company. You may be able to get group insurance through an association, such as the Small Business Association (SBA). If you have 2 or more employees on the payroll of your company (if you have not incorporated your self-employed business, you may want to contact a certified public accountant since you will have more options as a corporation than individuals), you can typically get group health insurance. Group health insurance is ideally what you want because it shouldn't matter whether or not you are currently pregnant in a lot of cases. I hate to even suggest it, but you may not want to visit a doctor to confirm your pregnancy until AFTER you secure health insurance, if you haven't already. Then it cannot be considered a "pre-existing condition."

Your local health department (you should be able to find them in the phone book) should also be able to provide you with some options. Someone else also mentioned getting price quotes from the hospitals in your area. They should have that information readily available and they are always willing to set up payment plans so you don't have to pay all at once. It may not be as expensive as you think and may be more cost-effective than your plane tickets back and forth, not to mention the hassle of it all and your husband not being able to be with you.

Please let us know what happens. Health insurance is one of the frustrations in this country. I'm sorry you're running into this, especially being so new to the United States. I hope everything works out for you and this experience does not tarnish your views of our otherwise great country.

Old 10-27-2004, 07:51 PM   #12
Veteran
(female)

Hope2Heal HB User

Go running screaming back to England!!! Hurry before its too late!!!

sorry to sound so negative. But i am uninsured(and work full time as well as my husband) My husbands job only does once a year enrollment and it is so pricey to add me on it that it would eat half his paycheck. It is actually cheaper for us to pay cash then to go on his benefits which have high deductibles as well. My insurance wound't cover maternity for 12 months after i signed on. medicaid says we make too much(which is a joke, we are barely making it now) and health department still charges you as much as a regular doctor. I don't qualify for any other program this state offers due to making "too much" (combined we make less than 35000 a year. )MY job offers no paid maternity leave either. So cut that in half when i am out of work and they say we STILL make too much.

I am speaking from the state i live in(in the southeast) but i know other states may offer better alternatives. Basically, I paid all my prenatal care up front(500$) and the ultrasound was 300$ and so far no complications and i have opted for no other tests. Vaginal birth will be about 3000$$ in doctors fees not including whatever the hospital bills me for room and board, pain relief and other stuff. WE have no idea how we will pay for hospital fees or doctor at this point. and if it is a c-section, will be more, not including any other problems that could arise.

The health care in America Sucks so bad and Many people have about had it. Yes some of us do and will go into financial ruin in order to start a family. Believe it because it is happening. This country needs a lot of help.

I wish you luck with your situation. The assistance you recieve will depend on your financial status, and other factors, including what your state or your husband's job offers. I hope things fall into place for you better than they did for me.

Old 10-30-2004, 10:00 AM   #13

Claudia77 HB User
Unhappy Re: Pregnant and new to the USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hope2Heal
Go running screaming back to England!!! Hurry before its too late!!!

sorry to sound so negative. But i am uninsured(and work full time as well as my husband) My husbands job only does once a year enrollment and it is so pricey to add me on it that it would eat half his paycheck. It is actually cheaper for us to pay cash then to go on his benefits which have high deductibles as well. My insurance wound't cover maternity for 12 months after i signed on. medicaid says we make too much(which is a joke, we are barely making it now) and health department still charges you as much as a regular doctor. I don't qualify for any other program this state offers due to making "too much" (combined we make less than 35000 a year. )MY job offers no paid maternity leave either. So cut that in half when i am out of work and they say we STILL make too much.

I am speaking from the state i live in(in the southeast) but i know other states may offer better alternatives. Basically, I paid all my prenatal care up front(500$) and the ultrasound was 300$ and so far no complications and i have opted for no other tests. Vaginal birth will be about 3000$$ in doctors fees not including whatever the hospital bills me for room and board, pain relief and other stuff. WE have no idea how we will pay for hospital fees or doctor at this point. and if it is a c-section, will be more, not including any other problems that could arise.

The health care in America Sucks so bad and Many people have about had it. Yes some of us do and will go into financial ruin in order to start a family. Believe it because it is happening. This country needs a lot of help.

I wish you luck with your situation. The assistance you recieve will depend on your financial status, and other factors, including what your state or your husband's job offers. I hope things fall into place for you better than they did for me.
I guess I need to get a quote... The thing is though if my baby isn't born in the US, it won't be eligible to become a US Citizen... I'm not too sure how this will affect all of his / her schooling later in life... Will we have to pay to put our child into a US school because he / she will be a British Citizen...

I hate to think that I'm going to have to make a commercial decision on whether to fly back to england or not...

I'm happy and accept that I'm going to have to set aside maybe $10,000 . That's ok.. But what scares me is if there are complications... I'm guessing the bill could run into 10's of thousands which would put into financial ruin... Which is probably why no-one will insure me...

This is going to be one tough call...

Old 10-30-2004, 10:20 AM   #14
Veteran
(female)

Hope2Heal HB User

I am sorry you are going through this, I do feel your pain, just from a different perspective.

As far as I understand, medicaid is set up for the poorest of the poor, you have to proove your income falls below whatever levely your state has in place. here i think it is a family of 4 making 30,000 a year. It is a government run program and I think it differs from MEDICARE which taxpaying americans pay into on their paychecks every pay period. That is for elderly folks and supposedly will be there for you when you retire or hit age 55 i think. If you are not a US citizen I don't think you will be able to get any of these benefits even if you did qualify.

As for calling social services, I do believe(could be wrong) that the programs are in place for homeless families, single parents, teen pregnancy etc. However they may have info regarding immigration benefits.

Have you tried calling an immigration office?

It sounds like a lot of overwhelming info. But things will fall into place for you, whether it is a decision you want to make or not, somehow, baby will be born. That is what i am telling myself. YOu are doing what you can. Focus a lot on your prenatal care, eating well, drinking lots of water, excersise, etc. If the hospital has to bill me well then so be it. If you are in a position to pay cash, start setting some aside. Many americans who have health insurance end up paying cash anyway due to terrible benefits. They may have a high deductible, or may have to pay a lot out of their paychecks each month. Usually the insurance companywill only pay a certain amount and you still get billed for the rest. Is it possible you can pay for your own prenatal care in USA with cash, and then fly to brittian just for the birth?
maybe your husband can take a few weeks and go back with you and you may only have to be seperated on short term.

As for schooling, US has a public school system supported by taxes. Your child will be able to go to public school. And if you choose private school, it will cost a lot, but so it does for american citizens as well.

I wish you luck and a healthy pregnancy.

Last edited by Hope2Heal; 10-30-2004 at 10:22 AM.

Old 10-30-2004, 12:50 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

jmcummins3 HB User

Hospitals will set up a reasonable payment plan with you for the hospital part of it (after you get the bill, but make sure you call BEFORE the first payment is due - they do this all the time, but don't tell you it's available). Your doctor should also be able to have you make payments throughout your pregnancy to cover the prenatal care. They are usually willing to work with you. Good luck!

Closed Thread