It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-30-2004, 07:27 PM   #1

jayden HB User
New here!but i thought you all could help me! Q; about Nuchal Translucency?

undefined
I am 25 and have a 4 year old son, i have also had 2 M/C after him.
i am now P/G!! last monday i had a ultrasound and i was told i was 10 W/K
3 days and it all looked good but the Nuchal Translucecy came in at 2.9mm.
But it also came in at 2.2, 2.7, and 3.0 mm but the U/S tech sent a report
of 2.9mm? he said i need more testing because it might have down syndrome
or something along that line! i was on 200mg of prometrium up until a week ago could that have caused this?? What is a normal scan? what is the % of my baby having Down's? I have so many Q: and dont know who to ask, i do have a Dr App on Monday to see what the next step is, if anyone can give me hope please do!!!! Thankyou All. Kim from canada>

Old 10-31-2004, 01:17 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

haleysmum HB User
Re: New here!but i thought you all could help me! Q; about Nuchal Translucency?

Hi I was actually about to go offline, but saw you had posted about nuchal translucency and wanted to try and reassure you ok.....I also had the nuchal translucency done....By the way its supposed to be done at 12-13 weeks so really I cant see how they can get accurate results from yours......Anyway between the u/s and blood test I came back with a 1 in 9 chance that my baby had down syndrome....I had an amnio done at 15 weeks and all my results came back COMPLETY NORMAL ! It wasnt until AFTER I had the amnio done that they told me that the measurement behind the babies neck isnt always accurate.....MAN WAS I MAD To be perfectly honest I dont trust that particular test and from ALL THE HOURS of investigating it at the time, found out it has an extremely HIGH false positive rate.......If I was going to have more babies which I dont plan on LOL I wouldnt have that test done again......If I was you I would demand to have it done again in a week or two before you go submitting yourself to amnios etc....Here in Australia Nuchal Translucency is a reasonably new test done here, it wasnt done when I had my daughter last year ! I felt like I was used as a guinnea pig ( sp ) Please try not to freak out ! I went through weeks of hell because of that darn test Like I said demand another one ! Anyway I am off to have my baby tomorrow.........so wont be around for a few days, but if you need any more info or reassurance I will be back soon ok
TAKE CARE and try not to worry !

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-31-2004, 09:20 AM   #3

jayden HB User

Well thank you so much for your reply, i hope everything is well after your baby is born!! if you find time let me know!! thanks again!

Old 11-05-2004, 01:45 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

haleysmum HB User

Hi there, I was just wondering how you are going and if you have found out anymore yet ? Let me know if you can BTW I had my son last Monday , he is perfect and healthy and weighed 7 pounds 5 ounces I had a great labour ONLY 3 hours Anyway let me know how you are going ok !

Old 11-06-2004, 08:58 AM   #5

mpsweetie77 HB User

Okay first let me tell you that I think drs stink!!! Especially when it concerns telling you your baby might have d.s.!!! When i had my 1st u/s they told me all of Haley's measurements were fine, except for the bright spot in her heart which could mean she has d.s. Well since my dr wouldnt answer any of my questions, and i was of course FREAKING OUT!!!, i didnt quite make it to work the next day. Instead i stayed home and researched allll day. I even called the National Down's Syndrom Congress...among others. What I found is that if all of the babies measurements are fine and the Nuchal fold one was the only one off (according to them...Haleysmum's right about how early they did it on you), but even if the Nuchal fold is still off on your next one...your baby is way more than likely perfectly fine! The femur and humerous (sp?) both measured at normal development growth, right? Hands aren't too squared, feet look good, belly circumference normal? Then don't worry. I have since also talked to one of my closest friends who is a severely handicapped teacher, i worked as her aide for 3 years several years ago. She reminded me of all the measurement stuff i stated above, stuff that I knew and should have thought of when that da*n dr uttered the d.s. term. But you know how emotions can get in the way.
Bless you and your perfect little baby! (sorry i rambled on...this still pisses me off to no end! hope you can make sense of it)

Closed Thread