It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-16-2004, 08:33 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(male)

ChappyBoy HB User
Flu Shot - six weeks preg

Doc had suggested a flu shot for my 6 week pregnant wife. We both have been opposed to the flu shot but I am looking for pro and con reasons on this? What have you heard?

Old 11-16-2004, 08:52 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

ducki979 HB User
Re: Flu Shot - six weeks preg

my doc told me that there was no research suggesting that the flu shot (because it is made up of dead flu that will produce antibodies in your system) is dangerous in the first trimester.
i too went through what you are going through now...i am 14 w, and my doc suggested that i get one at 7 weeks when i questioned her at my appt....it took me almost a month to find one available in my area!~

imo opinion....the benenfits far outweigh the risks....high fevers in a pregnant woman can cause fetal brain damage, and in extreme cases, even fetal death ( im not trying to scare you, just stating facts)....unless your wife has a known allergy to eggs (which is the base for the flu shot), i personally would suggest that she get one asap.

have a happy and healthy 9 months

Cara

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-16-2004, 08:53 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

~PJ~ HB User

I think different doctors have different views on this lol I've read in "what to expect..." That most experts advise against the flu jab in the 1st trimester but recomend it in the 2nd and 3rd though it's considered safe at any stage of pg. Saying this I'm in my 3rd trimester now and my doctor advised against it. sorry I haven't got a straight answer but I hope this kinda helped

Old 11-16-2004, 11:14 AM   #4
Inactive

mommaboyz HB User

Ive also heard its dangerous during the first trimester. If it were me I would get it. JMO

Old 11-16-2004, 11:28 AM   #5

Doobeedoobeedoo HB User

You (your wife, whoever) may get sick just BECAUSE of the shot.....I wouldn't get that crap injected in me or anyone that I love. There is TONS of info out there on this, just type in 'pros and cons of the flu shot' on your search engine and you will get your info!!!

IMO, natural immunity is WAY better than 'chemical' immunity, which is nice in theory but, doesn't work so, why do it.

Old 11-16-2004, 11:31 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ratatosk HB UserRatatosk HB User

During last year's flu epidemic there were several pregnant women who were hospitalized nationwide because of the flu -- high fevers, dehydration...

Old 11-16-2004, 11:36 AM   #7

Doobeedoobeedoo HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratatosk
During last year's flu epidemic there were several pregnant women who were hospitalized nationwide because of the flu -- high fevers, dehydration...

I'd like to see the resoures for this!!! Do you have it????

Old 11-16-2004, 12:14 PM   #8
Veteran
(female)

ducki979 HB User

doobee....the information you gave is 5 years outdated...so many things have changed...and not only that, but more pregnant women are hospitalized for the flu itself than for side effects of the vaccine! (as the vaccine DOES NOT contain live flu virus)

chappy....my best suggestion would have to be that you should talk to several docs, call your local or state dept of health, and do some research

good luck!

Old 11-16-2004, 12:52 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ratatosk HB UserRatatosk HB User

I just remember the news stories last year -- around the time the flu epidemic hit, I was frantically trying to get any information I could because my son was born a few months earlier with a genetic lung disease and wasn't able to be vaccinated for another two months and THEN they ran out of vaccine. BTW, the vaccine my son was finally able to get was thermasoil (mercury FREE).

Old 11-16-2004, 01:58 PM   #10
Senior Veteran

Chrissi HB User

okay the Center for disease control says it is OK for women in the first trimester now....the benifits far outweight the risks..... go to the CDC website and see for yourself...

IF YOU GET THE FLU AND A HIGH FEVER YOUR BABY COULD HAVE BRAIN DAMAGE OR EVEN DIE!!
ALSO YOUR BABY HAS A 3 X GREATER CHANCE OF DEVELPOING SCHIZOFRANIA LATER IN ITS LIFE.....THAT IS A FACT.
go to a search engine and type it in.....it is all there.

i got the shot when i was about 10 weeks along in this pregnancy, and i would do it again in another pregnancy....

i know this is a hard decision and i wish you luck in making it...

remeber the flu is air born, all you have to do is be within 3 feet of a person who has it who coughs or sneezes and when you breath it in...you have the flu. if you are not immune.

Last edited by Chrissi; 11-16-2004 at 02:03 PM.

Old 11-16-2004, 11:29 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

dh22 HB User

i got it last year (wasn't preg at the time) and got high fevers with in the next week. and was sick as a dog... i am in my third trimester and they couldn't pay me to get it this year!

Old 11-17-2004, 05:19 AM   #12
Inactive

mommaboyz HB User

MEEEE TOOOO. Last year I wasnt pg but I had the shot for the first time. I got sick anyways. it was awful. It couldnt of been any worse for me.

Old 11-17-2004, 07:59 AM   #13
Senior Veteran

Chrissi HB User

i got the shot and didnt have a side effect at all....so you have your opinion i have mine...lets leave it at that

Old 11-17-2004, 06:28 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

jmcummins3 HB User

I asked my doctor about it and she said that some people react to the shot and get sick anyway. She left it up to me, but said she wouldn't push anyone to get it. I haven't had the flu in a few years since I had my tonsils removed and tend to react to things like that anyway, so I decided against it. If you are against it, don't let anyone push you into something just because you are pregnant. You have the right to make your own choices in any vaccine, test, etc. that you are offered. If it makes you uncomfortable, don't do it.

Old 11-16-2006, 08:16 AM   #15
Inactive
(female)

krissym531 HB User

i got the shot at 24 weeks pregnant and had NO side effects but Im getting mixed reviews pertaining to this subject. Many sites tell you that pregnant women SHOULD get a shot, that the flu can be very serious to them. Fevers can cause all sorts of problems including schizoprenia, etc. but on the flipside to this argument i hear that the Thermosial/Mercury contained in these vaccines is very harmful to a growing fetus, possibly being a cause for autism. but if mercury is a cause of autism then why only now in the 90's and now is there an extreme rise in autistic children when mercury has been in vaccines and other things since the 1930's?....why were those generations fine?....We state that we are taking the mercury out of most vaccines with the exception of the flu vaccine so why is the autism rate still rising?...

Last edited by krissym531; 11-17-2006 at 05:12 AM.

Closed Thread