It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-27-2004, 01:27 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

jmcummins3 HB User
Difference between D.O. and M.D.

I noticed that my new doctor is a D.O. (Osteopathy) and not an M.D. Does anyone know the difference in practical terms? Will this affect anything with my care or delivery? My other doctor was an M.D.

Old 11-27-2004, 04:38 PM   #2
Senior Veteran

Lawgirl HB User
Re: Difference between D.O. and M.D.

I am not sure about all the intricacies, but here is what little I know. I think there is mostly a difference in philosophy. They are both as well-trained, but I think D.O.s tend to think of themselves as treating the patient and the problem more than the symptoms. I had a D.O. as my regular doctor and gynecologist for a while and loved, loved LOVED her. She also performed adjustments on my back when it was out of whack. It was wonderful to be able to see the same person for all my troubles.

I asked her once about the difference between an MD and a DO, and she told me she is juat as well trained as an MD, and she even used the example that she is qualified to deliver babies.

I'm sure someone else will be able to give you a much more detailed comparison. That is just the little bit that I know. I think it really doesn't make much difference at all in the kind of care you receive. I've always found that the doctor's personality makes most of the difference in how well-cared-for I feel.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-28-2004, 09:51 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

jmcummins3 HB User

Thanks for the input. My other doctor was an MD and I had the same experience as you with your DO. I LOVED him and he was very thorough in discussing all concerns, not just those related to OB/GYN issues. What I liked most about him was he was well versed on all of the latest studies and findings and conclusions of those studies to give educated advice on major concerns. The only thing I don't like about my new doctor is that she makes her recommendations based on if there was a question to bring about a study, not the results of the studies. I guess it's better to be safe than sorry, but some things are just rediculous and have long been proven safe that she insists I refrain from. I don't think that's a DO vs. MD thing, just a personality thing.

Old 11-28-2004, 05:49 PM   #4
(female)

Kristin409 HB User

my sons pedi is a d.o. and i LOVE him!

Old 08-22-2010, 08:45 AM   #5
(female)

Waterbelle HB User

The only difference between MD and DO is that DO's are more trained in that they can use manipulation as part of their treatment. I view this as an 'extra' as most MD's would not practice 'manipulation' as a means of suppressing pain, healing, etc. Both are equally trained medically and clinically. DO's just have an additional avenue of approach. I am sure that your care will be as excellent as can be provided by an MD. Relax!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmcummins3 View Post
I noticed that my new doctor is a D.O. (Osteopathy) and not an M.D. Does anyone know the difference in practical terms? Will this affect anything with my care or delivery? My other doctor was an M.D.

Closed Thread