It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-06-2004, 09:06 AM   #1

lovemyangel HB User
subchorionic hemorrhage, how serious?

At 8 weeks pregnant (a week before my first prenatal dr visit) I had some brownish red spotting. I called the dr and they brought me in for an ultrasound in which I could see the baby's heartbeat. I am now 10 weeks and just found out that the ultrasound showed a "subchorionic hemorrhage." The dr told me that this means that a portion of the placenta has torn away from my uterine wall. She said to go about my normally daily activities but not to lift, push or pull anything at all and scheduled another ultrasound for 3 weeks later.

I am really, really concerned about this. The dr was very vague in answering my questions. Is this something that could cause me to miscarry? If so, shouldn't I be on bedrest or something. It took my husband and I more than a year to conceive this child and we will do whatever we have to do to save this pregnancy and I feel like the dr is making a judgement for me that this pregnancy is not "worth it" or something!

Anyone familiar with this complication?

Last edited by lovemyangel; 12-06-2004 at 09:07 AM.

Old 12-06-2004, 10:53 AM   #2

grass HB User
Re: subchorionic hemorrhage, how serious?

Hi, I have the exact same thing, I've been posting a lot here complaining about my bleeding also. I am now 13 weeks (today). Like you, my bleeding starting very early in pregnancy, more like spotting and some days I would have really bad bleeding (that actually happend 3 times), but it stopped shortly after and continue with brown bleeding (which the doctor said it's ok). Just watch for the red bleeding. My doctor didnt' tell me much about it, I just recently found from an u/s that I have subchorionic hematoma (which I think it's almost the same as the hemorrage as they seem to come togeter). In my case a blood clot formed between uterus and placenta and I am on bed rest now and that''s where the bleeding was triggered from. . One of the doctors that did the U/s on me said that he thinks that actually staying home doesnt' do much, it's just that it makes you fell like you did everything you could, just don't do any effort, etc... Anyway I feel better staying home, the doctor only told me to stay home when I was 9 wks, until then I was working, even though I had spotting and bleeding. Maybe they want to make sure first that the pregnancy is ok.
In a subchorionic hematoma (hemorrhage) a part of placenta is detached from the uterus and many times a clot is formed there, but that should re-attache itself as I was told and that it's not a big problem, it also depends on the size of it. My dr said it takes sometimes a few months for it to reattach. I'm worried myself, although the dr didn't seem too worried.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-06-2004, 11:39 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

MandyAnne26 HB User

I had a small one with my last pregnancy, at 7 weeks i had some red blood, followed by a week or two of brown. Mine healed without further incident and i had a healthy pregnancy otherwise. It is just what grass has said it is, a small portion of the placenta seperates. It generally heals and doesn't cause much of a problem. Of course alot depends on the size of the bleed and how fast it heals. Some women have just a small bleed once (just as i did) and some have problems throughout.
Your chances of carrying to term are very very good, just do what the doctor says and make sure that if you have any red blood (indicates fresh rather than old blood) to give your doctor a call.

Old 12-09-2004, 05:42 PM   #4

jsiplon HB User

I'm 14 weeks pregnant and had the same thing over Thanksgiving. Dr. did an ultrasound and found a small tear. He put me in the bed for a week and then said just be careful. I've had some spotting (brownish) and even sometime pretty heavy. Rushed to the dr. 2 or 3 times and everthing was fine. It's highly stressful to see the spotting. This is my second pregnancy and the first was a breeze. It's hard not to freak out or worry. Mr. dr. said that this could go on my entire pregnancy! I go in on the Dec. 21st for an Amnio, I'm 40 and worried to pieces about the results.

Old 07-14-2005, 05:35 PM   #5
(female)

nancam HB User

i understand how you feel. I was also diagnosed with SCH (5wks) but was advised bedrest. My SCH is now only 1cm but im still worried. This is the first pregnancy for me and my husband. Though my doctor is good, im scared because she also acts as if its sooo serious which makes me even more nervous.

Old 07-14-2005, 07:01 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

ASDGRMama HB User

I also have a subchorionic hemorrhage. I'm surprised nancam that your dr acts as if it's so serious. My dr didn't even mention mine to me. I read it on the u/s report (I ALWAYS get copies of any labs or test results).

I have spotted brown several times this preg. My dr just advised me to take it easy and no intercourse for two weeks. After that I can resume normal activity. The only reason he advised this is because I'm prone to m/c.

I'm almost 9 weeks now and my dr said my u/s looked "wonderful".

I've read that they almost always resolve spontaneously and even if they don't they don't usually cause anything more than spotting.

Love and Prayers, Kelly

Old 07-15-2005, 05:43 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

friday13 HB User

AH I found this AFTER I posted my tylenol and bleeding thing.... OK I feel better now - much much better.

Old 10-14-2009, 11:19 AM   #8
(female)

gonnabemomof3 HB User

Hi. I noticed no activity since 2005! WOw!

I have learned some from you ladies on SCH's and wanted to see if I could revive this thread to learn even more.

At my u/s last week at 4w6d, we saw the sac and also a SCH, she said it was quite large.

She said that it also could be implant bleeding, but not likely. And that the bleeding also might be an impending miscarriage.

She has totally freaked me out. So I am trying to remain calm. I do feel better in that the u/s was 2 days ago and still no spotting or cramping, so hoping it does not mean a m/c....

Anyone have this experience?

I go back in 5 days for a follow-up u/s. She wants to keep an eye on it because I am on heparin shots 2x a day for a clotting disorder. I am also a recurrent miscarrier.

I look forward to learning from you

Old 10-23-2009, 12:56 PM   #9
(female)

DeannaT09 HB User

I'm 6 weeks pregnant today and started bleeding heavily with clots last night. My Dr sent me to the ER where they did an ultrasound and diagnosed SCH. They told us that it was a healthy pregnancy other than the SCH and we were able to see and hear the baby's heart beat. The ER doc told me that I could resume my normal activity (I'm an RN) and there weren't any restrictions on lifting or pulling patients. He said bedrest isn't necessary. I'm still waiting for my primary doc to get back to me for a follow up appointment, but it's kinda scaring me that per some of these posts, the Drs are recommending bedrest! I'm calling that office again right now!

Old 02-10-2010, 09:04 AM   #10
(female)

bossyjones HB User

I am 12 weeks pregnant with twins...I have a 5 cm hematoma with some dark brown spotting now...my regular Dr. was freaked about it and said no lifting, lots of relaxing, no exercising, walking, etc. I went to my peri that afternoon (because of the twins, I am high risk) and he said it was no big deal...like, it might cause bleeding and that's it. I am very concerned, weird cramps today, but I have a lot of problems going #2...very little dark brown blood...ready for my u/s tomorrow...but wish it were today.

Old 03-04-2010, 01:12 PM   #11
(female)

Jem2000 HB User

Hi,

I am also pregnant with twins. I will be 9 weeks tomorrow. I started bleeding at 6w3d and thought I was having a miscarriage, since I had had one previously. Went to the ER, where they did bloodwork, U/S etc. Told us that we were expecting twins, and that they looked good. Called My OB to have me get an appt for the next day. Dr told me no sex, and to see him every week for an u/s. At 7w4d u/s showed a fairly large SCH 6.3cm. Went back in last Monday, and it has grown to over 8cm. Dr says he does not have a good feeling about it and to pray. On restricted duties, no lifting, etc no work. Next appt is 3/11/10 for my 4th u/s. Hoping it shrinks.

I've just had the brown sludge/old blood since the initial bleed on 2/14/10. No cramping, etc.

Hoping to hear from some others with this complication!!

Take care

Old 03-04-2010, 03:59 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

justmel30 HB User

My sister inlaw had sbh. I dont remember the size of it, but I remember that she said that the placenta was barely hanging on. She was put on very restricted duty. Pretty much bed rest for the remainder of her 1st trimester. After that, everything was fine and the rest of her pregnancy was normal. She gave birth to a healthy baby boy about a month ago.

Old 03-05-2010, 07:27 AM   #13
(female)

bossyjones HB User

So sorry you are going through this...I didn't find mine until I was 11 weeks pregnant...it was 5 x 3 cm. The Dr. told me it was large and I had already been scheduled to see my peri that day. The Reg OB was completely freaked and said do NOTHING...I was at risk of losing the babies at any moment...the peri said it just shows that I will be spotting and if I want to take it easy I can. I decided to error on the side of caution and went with my OB's advice...took it VERY easy, no lifting my 2 year old, no walks, no housekeeping, etc. I went back the next week and it hadn't grown at all...2 weeks later, it was down to 3 x less than 1. I see the peri next week at 16 weeks for a regular check up. I haven't had any spotting for 4 days now after 3 weeks of spotting.

Things I did, drank LOTS of water...I had to tab it on my calendar everyday, so I knew I was drinking at least 12 glasses + of water a day. Took it easy. One thing I know that that eased my mind is this...if you are having brown spotting, it's OK...the babies are still alive...it's the bright red that is cause for concern. So just take it easy, relax (easier said than done) and drink tons of water...I hope this turns out all OK for you!! Keep us posted. xoxo

The following user gives a hug of support to bossyjones:
simplysweet13 (01-27-2011)
The Following User Says Thank You to bossyjones For This Useful Post:
simplysweet13 (01-27-2011)
Old 03-14-2010, 11:00 AM   #14
(female)

Jem2000 HB User

I am sooo glad to hear what others are doing and are going thru the same things. I have a 5 year old and a 19 month old, so it's very difficult not to lift the baby, even very minimally into the highchair, crib, things like that. My husband works 18 hour days and is out of town mostly.

My house is a disaster b/c I haven't been doing anything, haha. I had some brighter red bleeding last week, and soaked a pad overnight, but then it went back to what I've had for the last 4 weeks, brown spotting. I should buy stock in kotex and always pads. My last ultrasound on Thursday showed that the SCH did shrink some...it went from over 8cm to 7cm x 4.6 cm. My Dr said he's never seen this size SCH with twins, and hasn't seen a SCH this large in years. He's the best OB in my area, but says we won't get a consult with a peri till I'm 16-20 weeks. I'm assuming he is waiting to see if I miscarry.

Also, he said he would 'disable' me if I wanted....not sure what he means? Like, temporarily disable me legally? I don't understand, although it would be nice to have a handicapped tag when parking.

Best of luck everyone...thank God for the internet! I can't imagine going thru this 20 years ago and not having anywhere to turn.

Old 03-14-2010, 10:16 PM   #15
(female)

bossyjones HB User

My hematoma is gone!

As far as the disabling means, I think it's so you can get disability? Did/do you work? Where do you live? In CA you get disability pay like unemployment pay, so it's helpful if you are disabled. I really hope this goes down for you! My husband is out of the country, so I know what you mean...I took a nap with my 26 month old everyday, drank (still do) 13+ glasses of water/liquid a day and didn't pick up the baby. If we go anywhere, I have a step up stool and he gets in the car and out. I have been picking him up more now that I can start walking again, but hang in there!!!! It's so frustrating and worrisome...just try to take it easy. xoxo

Closed Thread