It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-07-2004, 07:45 PM   #1

jodimarie75 HB User
Exercise during pregnancy 1st trimester

What is considered allowable for exercise during pregnancy? I am TTC but just curious what my options will be when I do. I take an aerobics class right now that includes kickboxing/aerobics/weight training and abs? I also have an elliptical at home and also use the Firm w/ Fanny lifter program. What is dangerous..like what kind of movements? Also, how does ab and back strengthening come into play?? I am more concerned w/ 1st trimester because I know it's a lot more restrictive after that.

thanks,
jodi

Last edited by jodimarie75; 12-07-2004 at 07:48 PM.

Old 12-07-2004, 08:15 PM   #2

grass HB User
Re: Exercise during pregnancy 1st trimester

When I was TTC my dr said it's ok to go about my normal schedule, exercise, etc..do everything I used to do before. I also used to do aerobics, weight lifting, lots of hiking, anything like this. I was VERY active. Then I stopped when I found out I was pregnant (also in the aerobics classes I would feel fainted, etc.. that was a sign right there that I was pregnant, among others). The reason I stopped exercising was my bleeding (and I don't think it is related to exercising as I know many women who don't even exercise at all and are bleeding or m/c). Maybe just try to take it easier, do light exercise, just to make sure and not feel guilty? or you can ask your gynecologist, the best thing.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-07-2004, 10:49 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

barton93 HB User

If it is something that you normally do that your body is used to, then you should be ok.

Old 12-08-2004, 03:17 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

~PJ~ HB User

Yup my Dr. told me to carry on as normal too. But I have to admit I did stop going to aerobics and step classes. Probably wouldn't have done any harm but I was pretty paranoid LOL

Old 12-08-2004, 08:13 AM   #5
Inactive

elsabe HB User

Jodiemarie, I typically work out 5 days a week doing cardio classes, pilates, weight, etc. When I found out I was pg at about 6 weeks, I just kept going as normal. Many of the women in my classes exercised right through their pregnancies; what you can and can't do really depends on your fitness level before conceiving and what feels comfortable. Basically, if it doesn't feel good, don't do it! I'm about 9 weeks now and to my great dismay, I have had to tone it down quite a bit...mostly cause I've got what I call "the ick". "Morning sickness" isn't really accurate - the ick is more like low-level carsickness throughout the day. I tried doing my regular pilates class yesterday (I'm in the most advanced class), and I couldn't keep up, not to mention I kept having the urge to gag. So, I've been skimping on the gym for the past couple weeks. But I fully intend on going back once the ick is gone, and hopefully my gut won't prevent situps! I know that there are some positions you should avoid in the second trimester - things like laying on your tummy, but as for the first, I say as long as you feel OK, keep doing whatever you've been doing.

Old 12-08-2004, 08:29 AM   #6
(female)

Mary0114 HB User

By no means are you supposed to let your heart rate go above 140 bpm, if I remember properly. As long as you don't have a high risk pregnancy, you can do your normal routine, but I would just ask your doctor if you're not sure.

Old 12-08-2004, 08:33 AM   #7
Senior Veteran

JodyC HB User

JodieMarie - totally unrelated, just struck me as cute b/c I am "Jody Marie". :-)

Old 12-08-2004, 03:08 PM   #8

jodimarie75 HB User

Thanks everyone for all your replies!! I found out this morning I may be pg. I got a faint line (light pink) on a hpt so I called my dr. and they got me right in. They did a urine test and also got a faint positive. They also did a blood test which I will find out the results tomorrow. The nurse said to consider myself pg. I was very concerned about finding out early because I am a dental hygienist and take x-rays on patients everyday and tomorrow I have a patient who needs the nitrous oxide. So I can tell him I can't use it. This was great timing!! So what do you all think of 2 faint positives? My last period was Oct. 31st and I have a lot of breast pain...their getting bigger and more sore (tight in my bra now!)

I am going to continue my exercising. I have always exercised and I could go at a pretty moderate to high impact pace...but I don't want to 'hurt' anything so I;ll probably tone it down a little bit. But I really want to keep up w/ my abs as long as I can. Can strenghtening your abs be any danger to the baby? ( i know not laying on the back after 1st trimester)

Jodi

Old 12-09-2004, 08:04 AM   #9
Inactive

elsabe HB User

nah, jodimarie, you should be fine. situps are great because they'll help with getting back into shape after you deliver.

Old 12-09-2004, 08:54 AM   #10
(female)

LYNN9731 HB User

I have been working out for years and did not know I was pregnant for
6 wks. My dr. said to stop abs and hi impact exercise (kick boxing, advanced
step and running). Pilaties, yoga, stairmaster, walking on treadmill and light weight training are all fine. He told me to keep my pulse under 140 also.
I still work out five days a week and I feel great.

lynn

Old 12-09-2004, 09:22 AM   #11

grass HB User

Thank God you found out on time and congratulations! I would say a faint line is pregnant. Just be careful with the X-rays and the rest in the lab. That's something you really need to discuss with your doctor right away. Good luck! let us know

Old 12-09-2004, 02:06 PM   #12
(female)

Mary0114 HB User

You don't want to do anything too high impact with alot of jumping up and down and stuff. I've heard stories of water breaking during high impact, but this is usually when the woman is close to delivery date. I wouldn't take a chance though. There are alot of exercises you can do, like walking, slow jogging, and swimming is great. Yoga for pregnant women is very good. Just verify as far as the heart rate goes, but you are I belive supposed to keep it below 140. Good luck.

Old 12-09-2004, 02:08 PM   #13
(female)

Mary0114 HB User

Oh, yeah. No dental work or x-rays during the first triimester. Just in case you need that information. Dental work can cause bacteria to get into your bloodstream which could harm the baby. Also, don't be surprised if your gums bleed during pregnancy. That's normal too.

Old 12-09-2004, 02:10 PM   #14
(female)

Mary0114 HB User

As far as abs go, I truly would tell you not to push it. People may tell you differently and maybe even your doctor, but your first instinct is right. By working on your abs, you are pushing down and putting pressure on your cervix. I don't think that would be wise. If you're in shape now, I wouldn't be concerned about your abs falling apart.

Old 12-10-2004, 09:49 AM   #15
(female)

Mary0114 HB User

Let me explain. When you go into labor, you deliver the baby by pushing down like you are having a bowel movement. You are using the same muscles when you do abdominal exercises. So, stay away from the crunches and anything that causes you to bear down and put pressure on the cervix. Please please please, don't take the chance. Stay away from the high impact.

Closed Thread