It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-09-2004, 08:56 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

Hope2Heal HB User
question about fetal movement in 8th month

Hi everyone

I am at 32 weeks. Is it normal for fetal movement to decrease in frequency at this point? He seems to be sleeping more and not bouncing or kicking as hard as usual. he always has a strong heartbeat at appointments. this is my first so i am wondering what others who have had kids before felt at 8 months.

thanks!

Old 12-09-2004, 08:59 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Zayazmama HB User
Re: question about fetal movement in 8th month

The say that you should get something like 10 kicks an hour, but probably test when you are resting. If you question it, or he doesnt move at all for several hours, see your doc right away. A hint...try OJ...at least for me with my first, it seemed to get him moving. That, and Coke (the drink, not the drug, lol).

hope this helps a little.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-09-2004, 09:03 PM   #3
Inactive

Soulcatcher HB User

The baby will probably sleep more. He should move after you eat something sweet, they like that. Usually the way the baby acts in your tummy will be the kind of baby when he's out. If he's pretty still then he will probably be a passive child and calm. The more active they are the more active they will be after birth. Just rub your baby's back and rock him and maybe play him music...he's aware of things on the outside now. This will also make him feel comfortable when he comes out..he'll remember your touch or the sounds to calm him. Congrats.

Old 12-09-2004, 09:09 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

packerfan4ever HB User

Congrats Hope! You're almost done! Yes, the baby slows down towards the end of the pregnancy. I was worried too with my first. And of course I was slightly worried with my second. (not as worried, but worried enough to drive my hubby nuts! HA) I think it's normal to question it. As long as your doc is hearing the hearbeat at your check-ups, I wouldn't worry too much.
Good luck!

Old 12-10-2004, 03:45 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kiera1595 HB User

Totally normal. There's no more room in there for your little one to be doing acrobatics! You should monitor how much movement you feel when you are resting. But do not freak out if it goes several hours without feeling anything!!! You're sooo close now! Congrats

Old 12-10-2004, 06:13 AM   #6

Alleyne HB User

I don't know... I wouldn't take less movement so lightly. Sometimes it is not normal.

Are you sure the movement decreased? And did you notice the decrease right away or was it gradual. Does the baby move after you eat something?

Not trying to freak you out... but I would call the doctor and just mention that you think that movement has slowed down considerably and see what he/she says. The baby not moving could mean much more than he is just resting or he is a calm baby.

Old 12-10-2004, 09:34 AM   #7
(female)

Mary0114 HB User

They slow down because there is less room to move. Also, they slow down considerably as you get ready to deliver. So, as long as you don't have signs of premature labor and as long as the heartbeat is going strong, it's just a matter of waiting.

Old 12-10-2004, 10:31 AM   #8
(female)

Kimberly HB User
Talking Re: question about fetal movement in 8th month

I agree with what a lot of the women have already said. With my daughter Allison I noticed decreased movement as I got closer to my delivery date. This is due to the baby having less room. When I was concerned I went to the hospital right away to get things checked just to be safe. But all was okay. I'm 17 weeks pregnant now and I'm sure this one will be the same.

Good luck!

Old 12-10-2004, 01:09 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

barton93 HB User

Yes, that is normal. There is a lot less room in there for him now compared to what he used to have. But, you should still feel him I'd say about 10 times every hour.......not necessarily punching feelings, but something.

Old 12-10-2004, 07:33 PM   #10

Alleyne HB User

I have always read and been told that if there is any decrease in fetal movement to notify your doctor immediately. There is nothing wrong with just asking. There is just a risk that it may not be normal.

I have also read that between 29-32 weeks the movements are stronger and possibly more frequent. Once again don't mean to freak anyone out... but there is no harm to asking your doctor if you suspect decrease in movement.

I have been told a story of a mother who didn't think anything of her baby not moving as much anymore... it was a good thing her doctor decided to ask her at her appointment if the baby was moving alright. She responded nonchalantly that there wasn't much room left for him to perform summersaults anymore. If I recall correctly the doctor sent her in right there and for tests and found out that she didn't have much embryonic fluid and the doctor ended up inducing her so she could have the baby early. Otherwise she could have lost the baby. I hope I am remembering the story correctly. But it has always stuck with me.

Closed Thread