It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-16-2004, 09:03 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

kierrasmommy HB User
Exclamation When did your over sensitive gag relex kick in?

Hi, I know I'm posting this on the pregnancy boards but only because I need pregnancy feedback...I am TTC baby #2 and have a week to go before I know...anyhow, I wanted to know when you all started having that over sensitive gag reflex? I had a weird experience yesturday I'll share...I'll warn you now, it may be TMI...I have minor asthma and it sometimes makes me have thick phlem...you know the kind that sits in the back of your throat and doesn't go down? Anyhow, usually I can hack it up and spit it out into a napkin and feel much better without it taking up residence in my throat anymore, but yesturday I tried to hack it up and ended up gagging for a minute of 2...I was sure I was going to lose my lunch, I was actually on my way home from work, stopped at a red light, gagging with a napkin over my mouth and searching the back seat for a plastic bag in case I puked, I'm glad it was dark out because I can only imagine what the people in the cars next to me would be seeing. Then when I brushed my teeth this morning I had a very minor feeling like I may gag...not sure if it was just because I was thinking about yesturday or what. I am just curious if this could be one of my first PG symptoms or if it's too early for that and it was just a fluke thing. Sorry I didn't mean to write a book, just wanted you to have the whole story so you can give me some feedback. Thanks a bunch.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-16-2004, 09:51 AM   #2

FaithfulyWaiting HB User
Re: When did your over sensitive gag relex kick in?

I started getting the gag reflex within the first month I was pregnant. It's pretty intense now.. It's definitely gotten worse.

Old 12-16-2004, 09:59 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kiera1595 HB User

It was the 1st hint that I might be pregnant. It was a week before my period was due and I got a tickle in my throat...I started to cough and I immediately started to gag. From that moment on every time I coughed I gaged. We were practicing the "rhythm method" of birth control and a day after having unprotected sex I realized that I did my math wrong. So I was already wondering if I might be preggers. Once that gag started...I was pretty sure
I hope your yucky gagging means wonderful baby!!!!

Old 12-16-2004, 10:09 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

kierrasmommy HB User

Geez I sure hope this is the real deal....that would be an awesome Christmas surprise for my DH....and it would be almost 3 years to the day that we found out we were pregnant with our daughter...I tried Robitussin this month but not sure if I took enough each dose and some days I only took 2 doses....but I did have more CM than before..so I'm hoping....we'll know in a week. Kiera, your cycle timing and mine would be exactly the same if this was my first symptom....1 week before AF was due....hmmmmm....wish me lots and lots and lots of baby dust....any other early gag stories out there?

Last edited by kierrasmommy; 12-16-2004 at 10:10 AM.

Old 12-16-2004, 10:14 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

siren1024 HB User

LOL.... I've always had a crazy sensitive gag reflex. But mine got even worse with PG's very early. I think even before I missed a period. And I got the exhaustion thing early too.

One day I was cutting some cheese for my DS (american, which I HATE) and the smell just over powered me. I ran to the bathroom gagging. Didn't puke, though, cause I hadn't eaten much of anything. But That was probably one of my first clues to this PG, and that happened the day I tested, which was 1 day before my period was due. I ended up with some nasty m/s with this little girl. I was barely sick at all with DS.
DD born 3/24/2005

Old 12-16-2004, 11:09 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

kierrasmommy HB User

Thank you so much, you all have given me some hope that maybe this WILL be the month after all....Siren, I have heard that ms is stronger with girls than with boys...(in most cases)....because HCG levels tend to be higher. You are proof of it I guess. I have had a couple other symptoms (tiredness, heartburn, tingly/tender BBs, bloating, gas etc) that could be pregnancy but all of them could also be PMS or some other reason, the gagging is the only one that I can't really explain, except maybe just chance.

Old 12-16-2004, 11:14 AM   #7
Veteran
(female)

drewsmom24 HB User

Do you also feel like you have a lump of acid in your throat? That is what is making me gag! Plus everytime I swallow. This was a good thread!

Old 12-16-2004, 12:56 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

kierrasmommy HB User

Yeah, I HATE that lump of acid, I have been thinking that was part of heartburn...I don't want to get my hopes up too high though, because I had alot of the same symptoms including tingly BBs and that lump of acid in my throat last month too and a BFN. But I didn't have that gagging so maybe....

Old 12-16-2004, 01:06 PM   #9
(female)

BEcca1978 HB User

Ugh! It sounds like you may very well be pregnant. I remember feeling exactly like that. I only felt it with my first.It started about a week before I expected my AF. I remember the worst episode was when I was going through a bag of stuff trying to decide what to get rid of and I saw a cricket, well I killed it and and almost puked on it afterwards. I hate that feeling!

Old 12-16-2004, 01:16 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

kierrasmommy HB User

LOL LOL LOL LOL.......that was hilarious.....I want Sunday to come quick so I can test....I better buy some First Response tests I only have Clear Blue at home and I have low HCG in early pregnancies so it probably wouldn't even show up if I were. Keep these gag stories coming, I'm enjoying them. LOL

Old 12-18-2004, 05:15 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

kierrasmommy HB User

Well, haven't had any more episodes of gagging, but have had the acid lump and/or heartburn and sore BBs (but they are always sore so I'm not even considering that). I think I will test tomorrow, if it is negative I'll wait until Wednesday to test again but only if my temps haven't started coming down, I posted on here about temperatures after conception...the first 2 cycles I started charting were so much alike that I could actually predict my temps the day prior...but this cycle is quite different so I'm hoping that is a good sign. If any of you get a chance, please go read that post too and let me know what you think. Thanks, I'll come post tomorrow. Wish me luck....

Old 12-19-2004, 01:02 PM   #12

Alleyne HB User

Unfortunately I have gagging episodes after brushing my teeth. I just don't get it... I have never ever gagged during brushing. *sigh* Not I dread brushing my teeth... and when I had morning sickness it was worse... I'd throw up right after brushing. Needless to say I haven't been that great with my brushing due to it... although a dry brush has helped.

It is getting much better now that I am over my morning sickness. I have tried to make myself belief that it was all just in my head and I am going to brush my teeth like a normal person. Well... it is not just in my head... I just can't help but to start gagging which causes me to throw up.

Old 12-19-2004, 02:33 PM   #13
(female)

BEcca1978 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEcca1978
Ugh! It sounds like you may very well be pregnant. I remember feeling exactly like that. I only felt it with my first.It started about a week before I expected my AF. I remember the worst episode was when I was going through a bag of stuff trying to decide what to get rid of and I saw a cricket, well I killed it and and almost puked on it afterwards. I hate that feeling!
Yay!!!!! It's nice to know all that gagging and acid like feelings weren't for nothing. Don't try to kill any bugs, it can get nasty! Again, CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!

Old 12-19-2004, 09:20 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

kierrasmommy HB User

Hi, thanks Becca, You must have read another post and saw I got my BF faint P! yayyyyy, Yeah, I remember the brushing teeth episodes with baby #1, I found if I quickly brushed my molars first I could handle the front teeth afterward. Well, I'm tired and hungry so sorry this isn't much more of a post. I'll talk to you all soon.

Last edited by kierrasmommy; 12-19-2004 at 09:20 PM.

Old 12-31-2004, 08:23 AM   #15
Senior Veteran

laurabelle1317 HB User

Kierrasmommy - I think I am having a similar lump in my throat as you had. And drinking water (or swallowing in general) makes it worse. Did drinking water make it worse for you? And by worse I mean seem/feel thicker?

I also seem to be having some frequent urination - 4 times in less than 2 hours and I haven't even had anything to drink yet. I also may possibly have felt implantation discomfort/pain - I hope!

Anyhow, I'm testing on Jan. 6!

~Laura~

Closed Thread