It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-17-2004, 01:29 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

anxiousme HB Useranxiousme HB Useranxiousme HB User
detection of cleft lip on ultrasound?

I had a second u/s at 28 wks to look at low-lying placenta. The placenta migrated upwards and everything is ok there. However, when the tech was going over the facial features, my childs upper lip looked really suspicious to me. It looked deformed ie: kind of swollen. I didn't see a split in the lip. The tech of course would not say anything, and I really didn't ask. I just had a mental thought of "that kind of didn't look right". So, the tech was finishing up. My 3 year old was there and getting restless. The tech asked "can I give her a picture of the baby to occupy her". Sure, I said. Everything was done. When I got home and looked at the picture the tech gave my child, it was a side profile and again the upper lip look odd. Now I'm really concerned about the baby having a cleft lip. Has anyone had this happen to there child? Was it detected on the u/s? or Does anyone know of someone who has been through this. I'm a nervous wreck.

By the way- The report hasn't got to my dr's office yet. I checked.

Old 12-17-2004, 04:51 PM   #2

grass HB User
Re: detection of cleft lip on ultrasound?

Hi, I don't know much about U/s but I just wanted to tell you to try to calm down until you find out from your doctor, maybe nothing is wrong and all is fine. Most of the times we worry more than we should. I don't know how the u/s people don't tell you what's going on, when I had my U/s done at another place other than my dr's office - for the Down's syndrome - (I think the person that did it was a doctor), he told me everything he saw, he told me right away that he saw the subchorionic hematoma I have. He told me how the size of the fat in brain he measures should be less than 2 mm, etc. He told me everything! I even asked questions and he answered me. He was really good! But maybe it is because he was a Dr and not a technician? I'm not sure.
Try to stay calm, I'm sure all will be fine!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-17-2004, 07:44 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

cattieos HB User

i don't know how to tell abotu that either, but a cleft palate is so easily fixed, it's not really anythign to worry too much about anyway! Just keep that part in mind. I am sure it is worrisome, it would terrify me if osmething looked wrong. Good Luck

Old 12-17-2004, 07:59 PM   #4
(female)

BEcca1978 HB User

I really think the tech would have tried to tell you in a round about way that there was a problem. I have had U/S with 4 pregnancies and have come to realise that while they aren't legally allowed to tell you anything, a good one will try to tell you without "telling" you. Like, maybe if she thought there was a cleft lip there she would have spent extra time trying to get a clear shot of it and she would have told you that is what she was doing. OR she would have made a comment regarding the importance of getting a clear shot of the lip for the doc to review. I think your baby will be fine and beautiful!! Oh, by the way, all the babies parts are swollen right now because of being in the amniotic fluid. My babies always had such big pretty lips when they were born but they shrank to normal after a while. lol!! when my dd was born, her bottom lip was so fat and swollen it folded in half all the time. It was funny!

Old 12-17-2004, 08:44 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

hillaryb HB User

With my 2nd daughter, I remember them checking for cleft lip with my ultrasounds. It was standard procedure there. With my first daughter, when I was 7 months pregnant, her upper lip looked funny to me on the ultrasound. There was nothing wrong with it, and she has nothing wrong with her, it just stuck out funny in the profile. I think they would tell you if it was a cleft lip, or at least order further ultrasounds to find out for sure.

Old 12-17-2004, 09:51 PM   #6
(female)

cassandrasmommy HB User

My daughter also had a big fat top lip. I thought it was her nose (LOL)! Yes, it looked like she had two noses I wouldn't worry about it. She didn't have two noses of coarse, and her lips are beautiful. When the baby is in the bag of water, everything swells.... all of them. That's why boys are so "BIG" when they're born.
DD-12/12/05
DS-8/7/09

Last edited by cassandrasmommy; 12-17-2004 at 09:54 PM.

Old 12-18-2004, 01:04 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

haleysmum HB User

Hi and try not to worry hun With both of my babies, I thought there was something wrong with there lips, they looked HUGE LOL They were both born perfectyl normally with the most sweetest little lips

Old 12-18-2004, 01:14 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

siren1024 HB User

My OB told me that the sign of a cleft lip on u/s is a "line" or a "split" from the nose to the upper lip. He never mentioned swelling. Since your tech said they didn't see a split, I wouldn't worry all that much!
DD born 3/24/2005

Old 12-18-2004, 07:29 PM   #9
Veteran
(female)

anxiousme HB Useranxiousme HB Useranxiousme HB User

To all of you- thank you for helping me relax. Either way I'm going to love him. I know that it is very treatable. I just worry about how my 3 year old would react to him and other family members. But no one matters as much as mom and dad and we would love him no matter what happens. I can't wait to see him!

Closed Thread