It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-22-2004, 06:41 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Micheybell HB User
No more Ultrasounds ... worried about labor now

My dr. gave me an ultrasound in the beginning of my pregnancy to confirm that I was indeed pregnant. I got another one at 20 weeks to check the depth of my cervix (as I had a LEEP in 98). I always thought you should get at least 3 u/s throughout the whole pregnancy but my dr. said he will not be going anymore. Now at 34 and 1/2 weeks I'd like to have one last u/s to see how large the baby is and how the baby is laying etc.

I'm very petite and am concerned that I will not be able to have this child vaginally if he/she is too big. The dr. said the only way to find out is to go into labor and see how you progress. I'm concerned that I'll be in labor for hours and then he'll say "oh well seems like you can't deliver this child vaginally, you'll have to go in for a c-section"....

Any thoughts on this?

Old 12-22-2004, 07:07 AM   #2
Inactive

mommaboyz HB User
Re: No more Ultrasounds ... worried about labor now

Ask them for another u/s maybe they will let you have one. I think most people have to try labor to see if they can handle it. I dont think they will schedual a c-section becouse they or you dont think you can have it normally. It wold make things eaiser though.But Most docs wont do that. Good luck

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-22-2004, 07:12 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

MandyAnne26 HB User

Your doctor will be able to get an idea of how big the baby is by your regular exams...how many cm's your stomache is, weight gain and just by feeling. I'm sure if he gets a feeling that the baby may be too big than he will order another ultrasound.But in his defence a small mother and big baby (i'm not talking a 10 pounder) does not mean that you cannot deliver vaginaly. The size of you makes no difference since it's the size of the inside of your pelvis that makes the difference, not the outside. Some women who aren't petite at all have trouble delivering bigger babies (8lbs and up). So really there is no way to tell before going into labor if you will be able to deliver vaginaly.
Unless you have a history of big babies in your family or you have had a big baby before than try not to worry. The fact is that you could have a average sized baby go through labor and still not deliver vaginaly...there are many reasons a woman may need a c section and a big baby is just one of them. Try to just relax and get ready for your baby, worrying about the what if's won't help.

Old 12-22-2004, 08:19 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

jmcummins3 HB User

I am 5'2 and normally 95lbs. I had a quick labor with my daughter and no problems delivering her vaginally. Your size has nothing to do with whether or not you can deliver vaginally. My doctor even told me that small women have the biggest babies sometimes without a problem. You'd be surprised what your body can do.

Old 12-23-2004, 01:32 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Micheybell HB User

Thank you guys for your replies. I guess you are right - Hopefully I will have no problems delivering this child vaginally. I always thought I'd have to have a c-section b/c of my size. I feel so tight, like I'm ready to burst I can't imagine sqeezing this child out of me. Although I really wish to deliver vaginally and experience the whole labor thing. I'll stop worrying for now and just see what happens.

Thanks guys for your advice. Good luck to you and happy holidays.

Old 12-24-2004, 06:05 AM   #6

sivaarar HB User

Count yourself lucky for the ultraounds you did get! Where I am you only get one, at 20 weeks. And as the other ladies have said, do not worry about labour - your body really can do amazing things if you trust in it

Old 12-24-2004, 09:40 AM   #7
Senior Veteran

jstpeachey79 HB User

Hi there. Good luck first off. BEfore i got pregnant I was 95 lbs . I gave birth to my first who was 7lb 4oz and a big head. Before I got preg a second time I was 98lbs gave birth to a 6lb 10oz baby.

You can do it. Good luck
DD Born 8-13-04

Old 12-25-2004, 07:03 PM   #8
(female)

Kirii HB User

I had 4 ultrasounds with my daughter, 1 to make sure it wasn't ectopic at 8 weeks, another at 18 weeks then 2 near the end cause I moved states and they said that I was getting too big though I had only gained 23 pounds during the whole thing and I tried induction for 12 hours and then they said she's not coming out she's sideways or something and boom C-section. Do anything you can not to have one cause in the end you'll heal faster without it

Old 12-25-2004, 07:37 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

siren1024 HB User

My mom is a large framed, large boned woman and had terrible labors with me and my brother. She ended up with a forcepts delivery with me (8 lbs) and a c-sec with my brother (8 lbs 14 ozs). She had 24+ hours of labor both times. I on the other hand was 5'7 115 before my first PG with seemingly very narrow hips and delivered an 8 pounder in 6 hours with only 30 minutes of pushing. My aunt who was 98 lbs before PG delivered 9 pound babies just as easily.

My OB told me it was all about the size and shape of the pelvis more than the size of the woman. Give it a try. There's as good a chance that you can do it as anyone! I know plenty of women who have given birth vaginally to babies bigger than 9 lbs pretty easily.

Good luck!
DD born 3/24/2005

Last edited by siren1024; 12-25-2004 at 07:39 PM.

Closed Thread