It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-22-2004, 09:54 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

Sue04 HB User
Wierd Heart Palapatations (sp?)

Hi -
I am about 13 weeks along and I have been getting these like heart jumps....kind of like heart palapatations.....(sorry if my spelling is off).....it's like my heart races for about 10 seconds, seems like forever - and then stops. Almost like my heart jumps in to my throat and then goes back to where it should be. Might this be because of the increase in blood flow in my body? Has anyone else felt the same thing? What is it?
Your help is much appreciated!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-22-2004, 10:20 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

andilyn HB User
Re: Wierd Heart Palapatations (sp?)

I have had for many years what is called arythemia (sp?). It can affect you at any age, as I'm only 23. It feels like your heart races, and like it skips beats. And I'll tell you this much, it has been a lot more noticeable since I have been pregnant, I'm 11 weeks. My heart feels like it is racing at times. It's normal from what I am to understand, because of all the blood pumping to the baby. But I would ask your dr just for peace of mind, it always makes me feel better.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-22-2004, 10:28 AM   #3
(female)

LYNN9731 HB User

Hi - I'm 13 weeks too and I have the same thing happening to me. I have a blood pressure machine that also reads pulse rate and my bpm is always in the 90's which is high. My dr. said increased heartrate is okay as long as my blood pressure stays normal. My dr. also has me keeping a record of each rate everyday. So far he has told me I'm fine and not to worry. By the way I'm 42 and that might be the reason in my case.

lynn

Old 12-22-2004, 10:41 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

Sue04 HB User

So far my blood pressure is great and my pulse - well that is always a little high - has been for me since about the 8th grade. I run around 100 bpm. But my blood pressure is like 98/65. So - this happened last night at like 9:30 PM and it felt like my heart went in to high gear....(I was laying down at the time) and once I sat up - it stopped. I also coughed ..... they say that can put an abnormal heart beat back in to sync.....

Old 12-22-2004, 11:58 AM   #5
Senior Veteran

jenn.e HB User

Sue, What you are describing sounds like PVC's, premature contractions (beats) which are very common in pregnancy. They are completley harmless but very annoying. Mention it to your doctor so you know for sure though. Mine cleared up in the second trimester but I have heard they are worse in the first and third. Im not looking forward to that..
Good Luck.
Jenn

Old 12-22-2004, 12:04 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

Sue04 HB User

I am in to my second trimester already - so it's hard to say. I have my next appointment on the 3rd of Jan - I will ask then!

Old 12-22-2004, 12:22 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

siren1024 HB User

I have suffered from PVC's for years, I'm only 23. They have been worse during pregnancy. In my case, I have Mitral Valve Prolapse that causes it, but sometimes it can just be pregnancy induced.

Your blood volume increases ALOT while pg. The heart has to work harder and is adjusting to that. Just talk to your doc, but I'm sure you're fine.
DD born 3/24/2005

Old 12-22-2004, 03:21 PM   #8
(female)

VNightingale HB User

Certainly mention it to your doctor. It sounds very similar to the symptoms I had just before being diagnosed with Mitral Valve Prolapse. MVP often occurs in pregnant women as the heart tries to deal with all the extra blood volume, even if you've never had it before. An echocardiogram can be done to check (and one of the nice things about that test is that it doesn't hurt -- we preggos get stuck with enough needles as it is!). In the meantime, I'd suggest avoiding caffeine and getting plenty of water (you should be doing both those things anyway) and getting lots of rest. I'd also suggest not waiting until Jan 3 to ask the doc; give him or her a call, and if they feel you need any sort of testing, they may be able to schedule it in advance of your next OB appt. Hope you get feeling better!

Old 12-22-2004, 03:53 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

confused32 HB User

I have mitral valve prolapse and i have those all the time now that im pregnant, they arent as bad now as they were in the beginning im 34 weeks and during the first 3 months they were horrible but seem to have slowed down i still have a few now and then. I wouldnt worry to much about it the doctors say that it happens to people in pregnancy that dont even have mitral valve that its just normal with all the extra blood flow.

Old 12-23-2004, 11:03 AM   #10
Veteran
(female)

Sue04 HB User

You all have been very comforting. Thank you ! I do wish all of you a great Holiday. I will be sure to ask the DR about it when I go in the next time. It makes me feel better to know that I am not alone.......(phew!) When some thing like this (pregnancy) is so new to some one - It's nice to know that I can be Normal.....(well sort of - no pun intended!)

Closed Thread