It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-22-2004, 07:20 PM   #1
Inactive

mommaboyz HB User
Question when are BH not normal (update) confused

Hello im 17 weeks now and starting last night I thought I was having BH not painful just enough to know they are there. I have been pg 3 times before so im sure thats what im feeling. tonight I had them about an hour. Now theve went away.
My ? is this is it normal at 17 weeks to be having this many? I dont remember having them quite this early before.
How do you know when there NOT normal?
I have no blood or anything like that. My uterus is not getting rock hard either.
thanks

Last edited by mommaboyz; 12-23-2004 at 03:32 PM.

Old 12-23-2004, 09:45 AM   #2
(female)

Mary0114 HB User
Re: When are BH not normal?

This happened to me at 17 weeks and it was the first signs of premature labor. I didn't know it at the time and at around 20 weeks the pains became closer together and my cervix opened to 3 cm. You need to see the doctor immediately as you should not be having these pains. don't hesitate!!!!!!!I also experience some very minor back pain along with what felt like light menstrual cramping. This was a sign that my cervix was opening. Get to the doctor now!!!!!!!Keep me posted.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-23-2004, 10:40 AM   #3
(female)

BEcca1978 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary0114
This happened to me at 17 weeks and it was the first signs of premature labor. I didn't know it at the time and at around 20 weeks the pains became closer together and my cervix opened to 3 cm. You need to see the doctor immediately as you should not be having these pains. don't hesitate!!!!!!!I also experience some very minor back pain along with what felt like light menstrual cramping. This was a sign that my cervix was opening. Get to the doctor now!!!!!!!Keep me posted.
I agree with Mary0114. Get a professional opinion as soon as possible!

Old 12-23-2004, 03:21 PM   #4
Inactive

mommaboyz HB User

that doesnt make me feel better Last night they got worse some and even woke up up 3 times during the night. I went to the doctor today they said my cervix is long and closed too so they think im fine .It upsets me becouse they didnt even give me any meds to stop them. the doctor said I was fine it can be normal. but when I called the nurse said its not normal at all at 17 weeks. Im so confused. i have 3 healthy kids now could something be happening to this one?

What should I do?

Old 12-24-2004, 06:12 AM   #5

Alleyne HB User

Hey mommaboyz.. perhaps they are just happening earlier since this is your 4th pregnancy. If the doctor said you are fine and it can be normal... try not to worry too much.

Perhaps start resting more than you normally do... and drink lots of water.

I am 20 weeks... and I think I felt my first BH and this is my first pregnancy. It wasn't painful... but my oh my did my tummy get rock hard for a few seconds... at first it scared me so bad that I got up and walked around the livingroom and got a nice big glass of water since I realized I hadn't had anything to drink for quite some time.

Good thoughts coming your way!

Old 12-24-2004, 10:01 AM   #6
(female)

Mary0114 HB User

Please see another doctor now. Your cervix may be closed now, but if these contractions keep up it may not be. I disagree with this doctor you are seeing. Get another opinion now! Please. You have a feelign there is something wrong even though the doctor says no. Go with your gut instincts, please. God Bless you and Baby!

Old 12-24-2004, 10:02 AM   #7
(female)

Mary0114 HB User

Remember, not all doctors are good. I learned this the hard way with my pregnancies. I had to take charge. It was pathetic. Please, my dear, get a second opinion now.

Old 12-24-2004, 01:06 PM   #8
Senior Veteran

Chrissi HB User

mommaboyz.....i am glad i saw this thread....i too am having them and as you know we have the same due date....i am 17 weeks too....i can feel my BH contractions and i have them sometimes up to 7-10 times a day, i did this early with my daughter too, but she stayed in till almost 37 weeks and was fine.....i think though that we should be seen weekly and checked for dialation...just to be safe, i am going to tell my dr. this next visit....keep me updated.

Old 12-29-2004, 12:27 PM   #9
(female)

Mary0114 HB User

Ladies, if you are having this problem, please by all means stay on top of it. You don't need a doctor to dismiss it. Get a second opinion. If I am right, and I hope I'm not, then you may have some signs of premature labor. There are medicines to help stop the contractions. If you have any other signs, such as light menstrual cramping or slight lower back discomfort, please get to the doctor immediately. But hopefully, it won't come to that. Alot of doctors say not to worry because what happened to me only happens in 1% of all pregnancies and they become dismissive. This is your baby. Take charge if you have an instinct that something is wrong. God bless and please keep me updated. Wishing you well.

Old 12-29-2004, 03:02 PM   #10
Inactive

mommaboyz HB User

Hello Mary things are a little better on my end here for now. they wont give out the meds to stop contractions this early not here anyways. I know Chrissi the other one on here is having alot of problems. On another post you can read. Thats for the support and info

Old 12-29-2004, 03:23 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

BarbaraH HB UserBarbaraH HB UserBarbaraH HB UserBarbaraH HB User

Momma -

Braxton Hicks are never normal at your early stage of pregnancy. You must be checked by your docor - insist on being seen - and have them check your urine for an infection. A urinary tract infection can cause premature labor. Contractions now cannot wait for your next appointment. They cannot wait for the office to open in the morning.

Not to alarm you, but I lost a baby at 20 weeks because I dismissed my contractions as being Braxton Hicks. I hope to spare you that sorrow.

Wishing you well - Barbara

Old 12-29-2004, 05:11 PM   #12
Veteran
(female)

HopingChris HB User

I am now pregnant with my 4th child but with my 3rd I started having BH at 2 months, crazy sounding I know but true. The further I got the more they happened. But that's just what they were was BH. I never went into labor before my due date but I had them all the time from 2 months & up. I am 2 months now & not have had BH yet but I'm pretty sure they'll come soon enough. So it does happen early.

Good Luck!
Chris

Old 12-30-2004, 11:57 AM   #13
Inactive
(female)

valleygurl HB User

Hi All, I was reading this post and i felt the need to give you all some info on the Braxton Hicks Contractions.

Braxton Hicks Contractions are irregular tightening of the uterus. They happen from VERY EARLY in pregnancy, although most woman do not really notice them until the 2nd half of the pregnancy.

It is thought that Braxton Hicks Contractions play a part in toning the uterine muscles and promoting the flow of blood to the placenta.

They can be started by either you or the baby moving and/or by somebody touching your abdomen. They can last 1-2 minutes, may come and go, may even persist for hours on end then cease to exist at all. They can truely be as painful as real labor, however they will NOT dilate or efface the cervix. They are not productive enough to promote the birth of your baby.

Braxton Hicks Contractions WILL NOT DO 3 THINGS:

1. get longer in duration

2. get closer together

3. last for longer periods of time

Real labor, unlike the Braxton Hicks Contractions, will have contractions that are progressive and unable to be halted.

When the Braxton Hicks Contractions are uncomfortable or bothersome, you may try to relieve them with a change in your activity or by drinking water !!!!

I truely hope the info helps ladies! Relax and try to enjoy this wonderful time in your life. It is truely a miraculous time.

ValleyGurl

Old 12-31-2004, 07:35 PM   #14
(female)

Mary0114 HB User

With my experience the contractions did become regular leading to labor at 21 weeks. That's why when ladies post on this board with this problem, I will always say to go to the doctor. You never know and you can't afford to hesitate with anything you think may be abnormal. God bless you all and Happy New Year.

Old 01-01-2005, 10:51 AM   #15
Inactive
(female)

valleygurl HB User

Mary, I agree that if there is anything that seems abnormal then by all means contact the MD or go to the hosp. However, Braxton Hicks Contractions and real labor contractions ARE DIFFERENT. Obviously if during your pregnancy you began contracting and went into premature labor you WERE NOT experiencing BRAXTON HICKS. You were indeed experiencing real contractions and real labor.
Braxton Hicks Contractions ARE NEVER PRODUCTIVE when it comes to the thinning of the cervix or dilitation.
Most MD's offices educate the expecting mothers how to tell the difference between the Braxton Hicks and true labor. True labor contractions will increasingly get stronger and last for a longer duration and will not stop. Most generally will form a nice productive pattern.
It is very easy for alot of woman to mistake the Braxton Hicks contractions as true labor, however, Braxton Hicks will not get stronger and last for longer durations, will not form a true pattern, and will not change the cervix or be productive enough to enable the birth of a baby.
If the MD has not discussed Braxton Hicks with all of you expecting moms i strongly encourage you to talk to your physician about. It will not only answer all your questions but also may give some of you a sense of relief that most likely what alot of you are feeling and going through is perfectly normal.
Being totally aware of your bodies and asking the physician questions, even if you need to call the physician after hours or go to the hospital, it is better being safe than sorry. Mary, i do agree with you on that aspect.

ValleyGurl

Closed Thread