It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-24-2004, 06:38 AM   #1

Alleyne HB User
Thinking of Natural Childbirth

Since we have recently seen post on what the epidural is like... not that the posts freaked me out or anything... but I've always said that I'd like to try giving birth without any pain medication.

Has anyone here delivered without pain medication? Would you do it again? Would you recommend it?

Are there any books you'd recommend that helped you deliver without an epidural or other pain medication?

Old 12-24-2004, 09:34 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

valleygurl HB User
Re: Thinking of Natural Childbirth

Hi There, Just wanted to let you know that i did natural childbirth 4 times. The 4th time i had decided to try the epidural. Needless to say, the epi was put in place and the med injected, then i ended up delivering so fast that i delivered before the med had a chance to work. The med took effect after i delivered and i'll tell ya, it wasnt very fun. I was one of those few cases where the epidural goes up to high and i could breath. Thank goodness the whole bad part didnt take to long to subside and all was well.

I will not be having anymore children, but if i did, i would not choose the epi again. However, there are so many woman out there that have had wonderful experiences with them. I know i wouldnt recommend a first time mom to have one due to the simple fact that they have never experienced how it feels to have to push nor have they ever pushed a baby out. So, in some circumstances an epi can delay the birth of a baby due to the simple fact that the mom doesnt feel the full urge to push and often cant push the baby out effectively.

This isnt something that happens all the time and to every first time mom, it is just something that could happen. At any rate, good luck with which ever way you decide to go. I am sure that you will make the right choice for you and the ending result will be a wonderful little miracle. Congratulations!!!

ValleyGurl

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-24-2004, 09:38 AM   #3
Senior Veteran

jstpeachey79 HB User

Hi there I did deliver my second one without any med. I would Highly recommed it. The recovery was quicker, the pain was minimal to be honest. Also my body told me exactly when to push and you can feel yourself pushing and what is right so the baby comes out quicker. with my first I pushed for1.5 hours and the recovery from thedrugs took a lot longer. I would highly highly recoomend. If you ahve any other questons just ask
DD Born 8-13-04

Old 12-24-2004, 10:20 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ratatosk HB UserRatatosk HB User

I didn't have an epi. They put something in my iv to help me not mind the pain so much. DH said I slept off and one between contractions. I absolutely couldn't stand the idea of an epi. Freaked me out, too!

I don't know if this is common or not, but the worst part was they hooked me up to an internal monitor, which was a royal pain when I'd have to make bathroom trips. For some reason I had this picture in my head that I'd have an iv and be able to wander around the hospital or my room. Instead I was confined to the bed.

Old 12-24-2004, 12:15 PM   #5
Inactive

mommaboyz HB User

Hello yes with my first born I had no meds at all. it was hard and he only weighed just over 6lbs. But I think its good to try it once. Im thinking of not having any meds this time either I cant decide. But if I were you I would make sure you either sign up for it or take the class (you have to do that here) just incase you decide you want to at the hospital.

Old 12-24-2004, 12:27 PM   #6
Senior Veteran

Chrissi HB User

hi, i didnt have any numbing shot with my daughter till i was 7 cm (at 4 cm i had something in my iv to help with pain but that wore off FAST)

i had an intrathecal which is not a catheter in the back, it is just a shot, in the back and it lasts about 2 hrs, i loved it.....i didnt feel anything while i was in the hardest part of my labor yet was able to get up after i had her and walk around.....(like within 2 hrs after i gave birth)

i definatly reccomend this but you have to at least get to (i think) 6 cm before they will give it and since it does wear off so quickly you may have to have it again.....but this was not my case since i delivered in 2 hrs and 40 mins (a very fast delivery for a first baby)

with this baby i am not saying either way if i will have meds or not, but i am definatly not ruling it out.....not to scare you but it is very painful, and hard to cope with, my specific labor may have been more intence since i did progress sooooo quickly...

bottom line is, be prepared for natural childbirth by taking clasess and doing research but also be prepared for the possibility that you may need medication.

Old 12-28-2004, 11:09 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

kitkat77 HB User

In my opinion, a walking epidural is the way to go! I had one with my first son and it was fantastic. I was numbed only from the painful contractions but still felt the need to pee and could still get up and go to the washroom. At the end I felt exactly when I needed to push as I felt the contractions -- I felt everything but it was pain free. With my second son I asked for the walking epidural and received it but it didn't take properly and had to be redone. It still never took correctly and I had to be drugged with some other stuff as I was in IMMENSE pain, and this stuff immobilized my legs. I had to be catheterized and despite all of this felt EVERYTHING while giving birth! It was the worst pain of my life and I may as well have gone drug free. Any woman who can give birth without drugs is a bonafide SAINT in my books!!!

Old 12-28-2004, 11:16 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Zayazmama HB User

I may have my baby early (due to previous early delivery), but in the miracle that I dont....I dont know. I am thinking about it. At the very most, I will get a walking epidural, but I am seriously thinking about going natural. With my son, I couldnt, because he was 12 wks early, and I basically had no say-so in it, as there was question of his mere survival. But if this one goes better, I may decide to go natural. I am getting tubal ligation after this birth, so maybe I should consider it, so I can say that I experienced both. Hmmm.

Closed Thread