It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-24-2004, 06:54 AM   #1

kdc2002 HB User
gestational diabetes...any help out there?

Of course right before christmas I was diagnosed with gd. I am 31 weeks pregnant and started the diet a couple of days ago. Anyone else going through this right now? I would love to have a buddy to chat with about the ups and downs of it. My biggest problem right now is my morning level. My dinner level has always been great but it goes up during the night to the high level (today was 107, the highest yet in the am before breakfast) I am thinking about working out 10 min before bedtime to see if this helps. I hate eggs so breakfast is a problem for me and if I eat carbs at breakfast my level remains high until dinner time. I hope someone else can chat about this!

Happy holidays!

Old 12-24-2004, 02:32 PM   #2
(female)

Breez HB User
Re: gestational diabetes...any help out there?

Well my doc is putting me through my fourth glucose test! My blood sugar keeps reading at 168 so I'm sure he's thinking of dx'ing me w/ GD.

Are you on any meds or is your doc just giving you a diet to follow? So far my doc has just given me a diet.

I hope everything goes well with you! I'll let you know what happens with me after I take this next test.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-24-2004, 05:38 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

andrea03 HB User

My morning b/s is between 89-107 doc says that is wonderful! I found that not eating a snack before bed keeps it down. And a lot of water. I am not on any meds for it just a mild diet. Just keep an eye on your carbs and sugar intake and you should be fine. The highest mine has gotten is 202 after eating at Olive Garden, couldn't resist raspberry lemonade and all you can eat breadsticks.

Old 12-25-2004, 09:20 AM   #4
(female)

sherry092 HB User

KDC,

I'm 30 weeks pg and was just dx with GD-- ugh! Didn't you just love that 3 hr glucose test?!?!?!? I almost threw up the 2nd hour---

I passed the first blood draw of the 3 hr, but failed the rest. Definately having a hard time with the diet yesterday & today. They ordered me a glucometer and I'm picking it up today.
Are you using the same thing??

I've never done it before- hope its easy.

Talk to you soon
-S

Old 12-25-2004, 11:04 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

Hope2Heal HB User

Hi KDC and everyone else with GD

I have been recently diagnosed with GD and I am now at 34 weeks. At first i was very upset. But really it has not been as bad as I thought. MY doctors and dietician have been all saying baby should be just fine. That of course is my main concern.

AS for diet, I am on a 2200 calorie a day diet, broken into 6 meals a day. If you haven't seen an nurse or dietician at the diabetic clinic yet, make an appointment. She has been very helpful.

The main thing with the diet, is never eat carbs alone, always eat something with protein and a little fat to slow down the glucose. She told me no fruit until after lunch. It is not as much what you eat as watching serving sizes and portions. It really is a lot to learn and you definetly need to discuss it with a knowlegdable expert. Everyones calorie requirements are different, so what is suggested for me will be different for you.

AS far as taking blood, it is not nearly as bad as I thought. It really doesn't hurt much and the hardest part is just remembering to do it. But it is actually intersting to see your glucose readings.

My dietician said my numbers should not go above 120 two hours after meals and should be under 110 for fasting. My doc says 140 two hours after meals is fine with him. He says the main thing is a general pattern. So if you test high here and there, not to worry, it is the overall numbers they look at.

Also, being sick can raise your blood sugar a bit.

I hate eggs too. For breakfast I eat lean ham and grits, or whole wheat pancakes and bacon(serving sizes!!!) with careys sugar free syrup. Or a half whole wheat bagel with cheese.

Good luck to everyone and it wouild be great to stay in touch on this board for support and info. How is everyone feeling otherwise?

Last edited by Hope2Heal; 12-25-2004 at 11:06 AM.

Old 12-25-2004, 12:35 PM   #6

kdc2002 HB User

Breez- did you do the 3 hour test or do you just keep on doing the 1 hour. That seems kind of strange that your dr would make you do it that many times. My level was 137 after the 1 hour test so I had to do the 3 hour test. I only passed 2 out of the 4.

The diet is driving me crazy, I am hungry all of the time. You can only eat so much cheese! I will try the advice of not eating a night time snack or one with no carbs. The worst part is that the nutritionalist said that is when I can have ice cream or cheese cake for my night time snack. Do you think if I had it with dinner it would help? Or maybe as my afternoon snack. I have the low carb ben and jerry's icecream (which is so yummy with crushed almonds) and low carb cheesecake from the cheesecake factory (also good but has a bit of a splenda aftertaste) It is funny...I have had a half a grapefruit as a snack at times and with lunch and have been fine but I had one last night as my night time snack and I checked my blood afterwards just to be curious and it was 155! So in the morning I was at 96. The dietician said the goal in the am when waking up is 80 (range of 60-90) If it was what your dr had said I would be fine, my highest in the am has been 107. They are only giving me a week to see if the diet works and if it doesn't I have to go on insulin so I don't feel I can do much experimenting to see what works and what doesn't. Maybe after the first week I will.

Sherry and hope2heal...I already went to the dietician and they gave me a glucose meter. It is really not that bad and I am always almost excited to see what it will be (kind of what you think hope2heal) I am not restricted with calories which is good, just the carbs. Unfortunately for me the carbs in the am gets my levels too high though I will see my dr on tues and see what she thinks about the 140 mark (I would be safe with that one with breakfast).
I keep reading that some people take the readings 2 hours after the meal andd mine is having me do it just 1 hour after. Do you think it makes a big difference? Is everyone on an exercise plan? Mine is 30 minutes a day (and today is christmas so I am not doing it today!)

Otherwise I am feeling great too! Is this everyones first child, second...? It will be our second girl which we are excited about!

Hope everyone is enjoying their holiday!

Old 12-25-2004, 08:18 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

andrea03 HB User

I have to test in the morning first thing then 1 hr after each meal, so 4 times a day. Today was easier than I thought. I ate everything that I wanted in moderation and my sugars were no higher than 120. My nutritionist basically told me to eat whatever in moderation. THey also told me that 140 should be the highest I should get. Try to stay lower. I even ate cherry cheese cake today and I am still low today!! And taking your BS 2 hours after a meal sometimes either lowers or raises your numbers depending on the severity of the GD. Good luck!

Last edited by andrea03; 12-25-2004 at 08:19 PM.

Old 12-27-2004, 04:57 AM   #8

kdc2002 HB User

okay I need help. I took my level after dinner yesterday and it was 88. Since my levels have been high in the morning I decided not to have dessert to see if that would do it. I woke up this morning and it was 99! How can it go up during the night like that? Will they put me on insulin do you think if only my waking up levels are consistently high?

Thanks again and hope everyone is well!

Old 12-27-2004, 07:02 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

andrea03 HB User

99 is normal for non pregnant people as well as pregnant people. Normal for pregnancy 80- 140. Non- pregnancy anything between 80-120. The only way they would put you on i nsulin is if your BS are constantly above 200 or so.

Old 12-27-2004, 11:54 AM   #10

kdc2002 HB User

Thank you for your support Andrea. The guidlines that they have given me are:
upon waking up levels should be 60-90v(the goal she said is 80)
1 hr after each meals it should be less than 120

Are your guidelines the same? I see my OB tomorrow then the dietician on wed. I'm glad I see my OB first to see what she thinks. This is so much harder on me because we just moved to NC from CT in August and I really miss my OB group from home and all of the health care that I had gotten there. Having this with unfamiliar people makes it harder!

Old 12-27-2004, 12:08 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

andrea03 HB User

The guidlines they gave you are for non pregnant people. My mom is diabetic and all the paper work says 80-120 for non pregnant people. The nutritionist that I have along with my Ob says 80-140 for pregnant women. I have seen below 80 maybe 6 times in the past couple of months. I guess it would depend on your metabolism and weight, but I don't see them putting you on meds or insulin for a 99 reading. That is normal by any textbook means. They were gonna put my mom on insulin when her's was up over 300 for a week. I would definatly talk to your OB about what your guidlines are, But to me you are in the normal range. Good luck!

Old 12-30-2004, 02:50 PM   #12

kdc2002 HB User

Just wanted to let everyone that I start a very small dose of the slow acting insulin tonight. My fasting levels wouldn't go in the range of 60-90 (were usually high 90's up to 109) The dr that I see is only 1 of 5 endocrinologists in the country to specialize in gestational diabetes so I feel safe in her hands. I only have to do it at night since that is the only time my levels are high. They are not suppose to be in the normal eating range at this time when you wake up.

Hope everyone else is doing well...keep me posted!

Old 12-30-2004, 03:37 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

andrea03 HB User

I guess they feel that you need the insulin. I have never heard of that unless you have diabetes prior to being pregnant. My fasting #'s are between 80-107 of late. I think I should ask the dr about this. YOu have me wondering now.

Old 12-31-2004, 06:02 AM   #14

kdc2002 HB User

Nope I didn't have diabetes previously. They did levels early in my pregnancy and the dietician keeps telling me how great they were and that I definetly did not have diabetes before. She said because of these levels I will only need a small amount of insulin. The amount I used last night didn't work so I add a little more tonight (they started me out on a baby dose). I would check with your dr. They said that it is that my pancreas is working too hard while I am sleeping and that it effects me more than the baby having a fasting high number. Do your numbers go up over night? They tried having me drink a glass of milk at 3 am to see if that helped but it didn't for me but may for others. Good luck!

Old 12-31-2004, 01:54 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

andrea03 HB User

no, my numbers go down in the night. Although, today they went up. But I had a soda before bed. I shall ask at my next appt though. Thanks!

Closed Thread