It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-24-2004, 10:22 AM   #1
(female)

MKAT HB User
Are yeast infection treatments safe?

I was wondering if it is safe to use an over the counter yeast infection medicine while you are pregnant. I think I have a yeast infection and i am very uncomfortable. My doctor's office is now closed for the holidays so I can not get any help from them until after Christmas. What can I use?

Thanks

Old 12-24-2004, 10:45 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kiedy HB User
Re: Are yeast infection treatments safe?

I actually had the same question when I got my yeast infection and wasnt sure yet if I was preg. On the internet, I found that only oral meds were not safe. When I talked to a pharmasist, she said all the creams were safe, but when applying it make sure you dont push it too high up, and use the 7-day treatments not 1 or 3days, as they are too concentrated. Hope this helps,

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-24-2004, 11:10 AM   #3
(female)

MKAT HB User

Thanks so much for getting back to me. I am not sure if I am pregnant yet either. I am having a few symptoms but it is too soon to test. I just didn't want to use anything that would be harmful just in case.

Old 12-24-2004, 02:18 PM   #4
(female)

Zazzaz HB User

You might also have to use two seven-day treatments back to back (for a total of 14 days of treatment). While pregnant, the body excretes extra glycogens. It makes for a heyday for yeast, and the infections can therefore require extra long treatment sometimes.

I hope you feel better ~ Z

Old 12-25-2004, 10:52 PM   #5
Senior Veteran

jenn.e HB User

You can use monistat (sp?).

Old 12-26-2004, 02:34 AM   #6

sivaarar HB User

I used a three day pessary inserted medication at the advice of the gyn.

Old 12-27-2004, 07:37 AM   #7
Veteran
(female)

packerfan4ever HB User

I just had an appointment with my doc and told her I am having Yeast infection symptoms. She suggested Gyne-Lotrimin
It is a B rating...meaning it has the least effect on a baby. She also said that because the body is CONSTANTLY changing, yeast infections are HARDER to get rid of than normal. Hope this helps!!!!

Old 12-27-2004, 10:02 AM   #8
(female)

Mary0114 HB User

I had a yeast infection at about 7 weeks of pregnancy. MY doctor told me there is nothing safe. He had me buy a douche with betadine in it. He told me to apply it only to the outside of my vaginal area, NOT inside. I wiped it on with a piece of toilet tissue around my genital area. Within 2 days, the yeast was gone. Talk to your doc about this. Just a side note, the oncall doctor and my own doctor's assistant told me to use an over the counter. I didn't listen to either of them, because they were so wrong about other things when I was pregnant before and their ignorance contributed to the loss of my baby boy. So, ask your doc about using the betadine douche.

Old 12-27-2004, 05:38 PM   #9
(female)

astw22 HB User

while I was pregnant I had two yeast infections. My Dr. advised me to treat them with monistat - 7 day treatment. I was also told to insert them with my fingers rather than the applicator as it can insert them too high... I just gave birth 5 weeks ago to a healthy big baby girl.. so I figure that they are safe.. Best thing to do is discuss it with your dr. though. Take Care

Married DH - February 10, 2004
DD Avery Born - November 23, 2004

Old 12-28-2004, 11:32 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Zayazmama HB User

Okay....here's something nasty...... I thought I had one, and I was getting ready to get some of that OTC yeast infection stuff. Good thing I didnt get it though. My doc office called me last night and said that I had some kind of bacterial infection that is apparantly pretty common, but that many women think it is a yeast infection. The nurse told me that those medicines are not safe during pregnancy. So I got a prescription for this other stuff. I would try some kind of creme to get through it such as vagisil (she said to me that it was okay) but nothing that goes 'up there', if you know what I mean. And then call your doc asap and see if they can check ya out.

Closed Thread