It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-27-2004, 04:52 PM   #1

grilledsmurf HB User
Unhappy Worried after ultrasound....Long story...

My first appointment with the OB was last wednesday. I have very irregular periods and had my last during August sometime. I took a HPT on 12/9 and it was Pos. DR. confirmed I was prego and did the transvaginal scan. Something about my vaginal canal being very long he was unable to see the entire uterus and scheduled me for a scan at the hospital. So I drank my water and they were able to do the abdominal scan.
My hubby was trying to ask her questions (i couldnt see the screen) but she just kept saying "you'll have to ask the DR." Then she asked my why I went to see the DR? If I was having pain or bleeding? I said no, I took a HPT and it came out Pos. Then she said again, "so you arent having any pain?" I said just some minor cramping around the time I took the test, but have felt fine for the past 2 weeks or so. Then she asked when I see the DR again, I said this Wed. Then She had me hold my breath a couple of times and she took a bunch of pictures and I was done. I sat up, wiped off and she said have a nice day. I asked her if she could tell me how far along I was and she very hesitantly said looks about 7 weeks or so. I saw on the screen under the measurements it said BPM 143, so I asked if that was the baby's heartbeat and she said the DR. will go over everything with you guys. Have a nice day and left.
Now I am worrying myself and of course analyzing every little thing she said and how she said it. I keep staring at the 2 pictures she gave us thinking what the heck. It looks like a jelly bean attached to a marble or something... Just being paranoid. Anyone else recently have a scan done? Did the tech ask you those questions too? About pain or bleeding?

Thanks Mary

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-27-2004, 05:50 PM   #2
Inactive

mommaboyz HB User
Re: Worried after ultrasound....Long story...

I have been debating on answering your post just for the simple fact that I dont want to get you more worried than you already are but.. From everything you have said to me leads me to believe that maybe youve miscarried. They always tell you the heartrate eapically if you ask.And with all the questions she asked you it makes me think so even more. This is what I would do call your doctor asap in the morning even ask the nurse there tell them what happened tell them your freaking out over it and you WANT to know whats going on NOW and dont take no for an answer this is YOUR pregnancy and YOUR baby and she should of at leasat said there might be a problem call your doc to find out. Alls she did was make it worse on you. I Have you in my prayers that you and baby are perfectly healthy/ Keep posted. If your too worried go to the ER and tell tham and they can tell you something there .

Old 12-27-2004, 08:15 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

cattieos HB User

Well they did ask me all those questions. And they did tell me the heartbeat, btu technically they are not supposed to tell you anything, there are supposed to leave that up to the dr. Most of them will tell you stuff though. I agree that you should call the dr and find out what is goign on. Hope things turn out well for you.

Old 12-27-2004, 08:42 PM   #4
Inactive

mommaboyz HB User

I agree as far as not telling you the problems but asking all those questions are not typical either. And the heartbeat they normally always tell you And show you the baby ect. They dont ask you questions like why do you think your pg ect. Good luck. keep posted.

Old 12-27-2004, 09:28 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

cattieos HB User

the reason they asked me about the pain was because i had been sent it to make sure it wasnt' etopic, and when they first did it from the outside, they couldnt' see anything.

Old 12-28-2004, 06:14 AM   #6
Veteran
(female)

stacydl HB User

To me it sounds like you just saw a really paranoid technician who didn't want to tell you a thing (because technically they aren't supposed to). I would call your doctor and tell him how concerned you are and hopefully he'll be able to tell you things are fine. A heart beat of 143 is totally normal. At my seven week scan my picture looked just like that, a jelly bean attached to a marble. The jelly bean is the baby and the marble is the yolk sack which feeds the baby until the placenta grows and stuff. My technician was awesome and explained everything but that might be because I was at an infertility clinic and they are more sympathetic. But I have had some who have been very hard to get info out of. Look on the ultrasound picture. Is there any information (sometimes they list the length of the embryo, heat beat, etc). Try not to worry, to me it sounds as if the tech was just not being cooperative. I don't think she would have given you the picture if she didn't see a viable pregnancy. She may have asked you those questions because it's not that common to have an ultrasound early at 7 weeks. In your case since your periods weren't regular your doc must have just wanted to verify how far along you were. I had one done because of the infertility and to make sure they could release me to the ob with a viable intrauterine pregnancy. Many women won't have an ultrasound until 16 weeks or so.
Good luck,
Stacy

Old 12-28-2004, 08:42 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

kierrasmommy HB User

I agree with Stacy, but to ease your mind call the Dr and see if s/he can tell you anything else. Goodluck.

Old 12-28-2004, 08:52 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

andilyn HB User

I agree that they wouldn't have given you pictures if something was wrong. And the questions were probably because it isn't normal to have an u/s that early, unless they suspect something is wrong. I had to have one at 6 weeks, and I got asked a few questions too, but my tech also told us the heartbeat and showed us the baby and gave measurements. I was having some pain, and they just wanted to make sure everything was fine...and it was, I am now 12 weeks. So like everyone else has said, just call your dr, he or she will be able to tell you that everything is fine. Good luck and keep us posted.

Old 12-28-2004, 09:06 AM   #9

grilledsmurf HB User

Hi Guys,

Well I just caled the Dr. and spoke to the nurse. She checked my blood work from last week and said it all looked fine, she said my pap hadnt come back yet and that they hadnt recieved the results from the ultrasound. She said not to worry that they sounded like pretty normal questions and she isnt supposed to tell me anything (even if we ask) because she is just a tech. I feel better I see him for a follow up tomorrow and she said if they dont have the results then he will call and find out. I'll keeep you posted.

Thanks Mary

Old 12-28-2004, 09:09 AM   #10
(female)

redstarr987 HB User
Wink Re: Worried after ultrasound....Long story...

I had an u/s on the 22nd and I am feeling a lot like you. When I went for my first one the u/s tech never told me my placenta was too low. I found out from my doc a week later. This time I egged him to tell me if it went up. He said I would have to talk to my doctor and I shouldn't worry. I am assuming it went up since he said not to worry. Then he was talking to his student and said "we'll watch her, well I mean her doctor will want to keep an eye on her" They said this while measuring my amniotic fluid. So now I feel better about the placenta and worse about the fluid... So I've spent the holidays stressed out and still haven't got a call from my doctor. Sometimes I wish the u/s techs would just either tell us or not instead of putting just enough in our heads to make us worry and not enough to know why we're worrying.

Old 12-28-2004, 12:20 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

jmcummins3 HB User

I would not stress out too much. If they did an abdominal ultrasound, they don't do those until 16 weeks or later typically, so she may have assumed a problem and couldn't figure out what the problem might have been to investigate further for your doctor. They aren't supposed to tell you anything and some stick strictly to that rule. I would ask your doctor to call as soon as they get the results, but don't worry in the meantime. They probably assumed there was a problem but couldn't find any problems.

Old 12-28-2004, 01:45 PM   #12
Inactive

mommaboyz HB User

Wow Im sure glad things are ok. I guess different places and states ect do things totally different. I must have missed the part where you said you recieved a u/s picture. congrats!!

Closed Thread