It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-29-2004, 11:35 AM   #1
Senior Veteran

Lawgirl HB User
12/29 update on our TTTS boys

Well, Wednesday 12/29 saw another happy appointment for me, dh and our little ones. Everything looks really good, fluid levels are totally normal, and the babies are bouncing around and appear to be healthy (and happy). And though I've felt something going on with my cervix off and on lately, it is still measuring 3.9 cm, so I think probably one of the boys was just punching me or something.

After the ultrasound we met with the nurse/midwife, and she assured us that GENERALLY, if things stabilize and stay stable past 24 weeks, it is unlikely that they will get bad again. Of course, she reminded us, there are no guarantees, and we realize that is the case. But for now our babies are healthy, they have passed the 24 week viability mark (again, no guarantees, but still great to know we've passed it), and look really good. And I never even had to have a scary amnio-drainage.

I mentioned before that this practice delivers monochorionic twins at 36 weeks. Their experience shows that the risk of serious complications toward the end of pregnancy goes waaaay up, so they balance it out and have decided that delivering at 36 weeks is best. The midwife explained that they could still have trouble breathing and sucking at 36 weeks, so they might still need the NICU. She said she would arrange for us to have a tour of the NICU, which we'll probably do sometime next week. With any luck, though, the babies won't need the NICU, although there is always that chance.

So, the doctors will deliver me no later than March 16. I can't believe we have an actual due date!!

**(Please no reminders of everything that could still go wrong. Thanks!!)**

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-29-2004, 11:56 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

ducki979 HB User
Re: 12/29 update on our TTTS boys

oh lawgirl...what great news to bring in the new year with!!!!!
you are such a strong woman, and im sure these boys have already started taking after their mommy!!

the practice that you are involved with sounds wonderful and it seems that they are keeping you very informed..

im so happy for you and your little family

Cara

Old 12-29-2004, 12:34 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

~PJ~ HB User

Yay! Another great update on you and the boys!!! I really really admire you for how strong you've been through all this! 28 weeks is just around the corner now!

Old 12-29-2004, 12:49 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

nyxin HB Usernyxin HB Usernyxin HB User

Lawgirl

my son was in the NICU for a while when he was born. i think it is a great idea to have a tour. sometimes the alarms that go off in there all the time are frightening, but the nurses are sooooooo amazing, they will wash away any fears i am sure. as far as breast feeding goes, it is a personal choice and i am sure you will do what is best for you and the boys. FYI, i rented a pump from the hospital. it was like $16.00 a month and i think it would suck a golf ball through a garden hose. seriously. it was a good investment to say the least.

for as long as i have known you on these boards you seem to be a very smart person and i am sure that you have explored all aspects of this journey. i have no doubt that everything is and WILL be just fine. so it looks like we will be having some babies right around the same time!~ cheers to us!
C-Section Aug 1st 08 with baby BOY #3
OMG!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by Administrator; 01-03-2005 at 01:01 PM.

Old 12-29-2004, 01:30 PM   #5
Senior Veteran

Lawgirl HB User

Thanks so much for all the nice things you've all said. I'm always so excited to get home and post our news on this board!

It has been a really tough journey and it's not even close to over, but we'll get through it. My husband is such a great source of support and strength for me. He is truly the rock of our family. Do you know that he has attended all but I think 3 of our appointments? I know that doesn't sound like that many, but believe me when you have 1-2 appointments per week, it really adds up! He even went to all of my appointments before we found out about this problem. He also managed to come to this appointment today at 10am, and then took me to lunch afterwards. Although he doesn't show things the way I do, he is so in love with these babies, and it makes me love him so much more!

Thankfully, things are so great for us right now that I'm really in a great "don't sweat the small stuff" frame of mind these days. It's strange, but thinking for weeks that the babies might be in such serious danger has REALLY cut back on my worrying about things that would have made me crazy before!

I really do love the support I get from these boards. Thanks again, everyone!

Last edited by Administrator; 01-03-2005 at 10:42 AM.

Old 12-29-2004, 01:33 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

Altson HB User

Hi Lawgirl -

I love reading your posts and I'm thrilled for you!! Fabulous, happy news!!!!

Old 12-29-2004, 02:09 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

kierrasmommy HB User

Lawgirl.
That is wonderful news once again! I too look forward to reading your posts and get excited when I see a new one from you. You have been doing so great I have no doubt that all 3 of you will be just fine. Take care.

Old 12-29-2004, 02:16 PM   #8
Senior Veteran

sammieP HB User

I just wanted to say congrats - that is great news. Good luck and keep us posted xxx

Old 12-29-2004, 03:11 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

BarbaraH HB UserBarbaraH HB UserBarbaraH HB UserBarbaraH HB User

Hi -

So glad you got such good news about your pregnancy and little sons!! Cheers!

I'll add that my 26 week baby did well and was never on a ventilator. I give credit for that to the fact I had time to get 2 Beta-Methazone injections (given 24 hours apart) for the purpose of maturing his lungs. He was born 3 days after the second shot. If you've been told your boys might have trouble breathing and need a ventilator, ask about this medicine. It made an amazing difference for my son.

Wishing you well - Barbara

Old 12-30-2004, 08:10 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

jmcummins3 HB User

Lawgirl, I'm so glad that everything's going well. It is amazing what a few weeks can do in a pregnancy. Having a due date now is a huge step from a few weeks ago. I'm so happy for you! I know it's still early and you are holding out for as long as you can, but I'm really excited to hear about the birth of your babies when the time comes. I look forward to all of your good news and updates.

Old 12-31-2004, 07:41 PM   #11
(female)

Mary0114 HB User

I know how intimidating the NICU can be and I want you to feel comfortable by learning from my experience. Breastfeeding is mind over matter and some some hospitals, but not all, are not as helpful as they could be. If you would like some tips, please let me know. I want you to have the knowedge that I didn't have. I wish you the best and a happy new year!

Last edited by Administrator; 01-03-2005 at 11:11 AM.

Old 01-02-2005, 11:37 PM   #12
Senior Veteran

Lawgirl HB User

Well, we're feeling so confident that we've started the nursery. We chose a cute, colorful wallpaper border with puppies on it, and lots of bright colors in it. We're going to put the border at about 3 feet up the wall. The walls above the border will be a very soft yellow color, which is the main color of the border. Below the border, each wall will be a different color, all drawn from the border. The walls below the border will be lavendar, light blue, lime green, and a golden yellow.

We still have to order the border, but all the painting is done except for the lower halves of two walls. My in laws generously bought us a GORGEOUS glider and ottoman, so as soon as the painting is done we can set up the glider in the room.

It has been such a happy time for us during this past week or so. I can't believe how much my life changed from one day to the next, when we got the news there was a problem, and how good I feel knowing that everything will probably be ok.

I'm so in love with these babies! I can't WAIT until their room is done so I can just sit in there and think about them!

Thanks again for thinking of us, everyone!

Old 01-03-2005, 09:08 AM   #13
Veteran
(female)

ducki979 HB User

lawgirl...that is so exciting that you have started in on the nursery.....i am sooo happy for all of you!!!!!

do you have all the bedding and furniture picked out yet??
is someone throwing you a shower (or is it supposed to be a surprise*)?

it bewilders me sometimes to think that those precious little ones will be here so soon....i remember reading the first post you wrote that said you had just found out you were having twins....and now you (and the boys) have come sooo far....they will be here soo soon (but they can stay in and bake a while longer and that would be fine with everyone )

keep us posted!

Cara

Old 01-03-2005, 09:48 AM   #14
Senior Veteran

Lawgirl HB User

We have picked out cribs, and my in laws bought us a lovely glider. The boys will be inheriting our old dresser and we will use a contoured changing pad on the dresser, instead of buying a changer.

Bedding will be simple: solid dust ruffles, sheets, and maybe checked bumper pads, but we won't be using crib sets. I just can't see spending all that money (times TWO!) for beautiful quilts they can't really use. The cribs we chose are consumer resports' best buys. VERY affordable and supposedly tested very well for safety. Unfortunately, they leave a little something to be desired in the looks department. Oh well, the babies won't know the difference, and dh and I will probably be too sleep deprived to care for the first year or so!

Yesterday when dh was painting I told him he was a good dad for doing all this for his sons. Not only was he doing all the work, but all that paint wasn't cheap, and he spent some bonus money (just a random check he got from Ford for something he overpaid for when we bought his new car-seat friendly car). You know when sometimes you come into a surprise bit of money and you use it for something just for you? Well, that;s what this check was for him. Only he spent it on paint and wallpaper for the babies, instead of on himself. So anyway, I told him he was a good dad for doing all this, and he told me he wasn't just doing it for the babies but, "I'm doing it for you, too." That about pushed me over the edge. I'm just so weepy lately!

Last edited by Administrator; 01-03-2005 at 10:36 AM. Reason: Chastising a member

Closed Thread