It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-30-2004, 08:51 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

jmcummins3 HB User
Flying while pregnant

How far along can I fly? My grandparents are not doing well and my dad feels like we are coming up on our last chance to say goodbye. We've known it was coming at some point, at least for my grandma, but they are both to the point where they are facing serious "quality of life" decisions and do not have the will to keep pressing on. I will be 25 weeks pregnant when my dad is flying out (domestic 1 1/2 hour flight) in January. I am pretty sure that's still safe to fly, but I'm wondering what the cutoff point is. I want to fly out to spend some time with them while they're still with us, but when they pass, I would also like to be there for the services, whenever that will be.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-30-2004, 08:56 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kiera1595 HB User
Re: Flying while pregnant

It varies by airlines, so you will need to call and ask for an exact answer. I am actually flying today at 31 weeks. Most airlines will let you fly up to the 8th month without a doctors note. After that it get a bit tricky!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-30-2004, 09:04 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

~PJ~ HB User

Sorry to hear about your grandparents.
I flew at 25 weeks and when I checked the BA website for regulations I belive it was somthing like 37 weeks I can't remember exactly but I remember being surprised at how far along it actually was

Old 12-30-2004, 09:16 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

jmcummins3 HB User

Thanks for the replies. I probably wouldn't be comfortable flying after 36 weeks since my dd was early, but it's nice to know that it's a possibility to fly up until about the last month. I think if I can at least be there for a few days in January when they are still with us, I'll be okay if I have to miss the services if they pass, even though I'd like to be there.

Old 12-31-2004, 12:41 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

WhiskersOnKittens HB User

I just thought I'd jump in here for a minute: I have a question. Why is it that you can't fly during late pregnancy, exactly?
Thanks!

Whiskers

Old 12-31-2004, 06:57 AM   #6
(female)

Quorlia HB User

Generally airlines don't like people giving birth. It really messes up the schedules

Some people also avoid flying in the first trimester because of worries as to what the airplane air and the slightly increased exposure to radiation might do. (Neither of which have been shown to have any bad effect on your baby).

Kirsty
14wks (flew transatlantic at 6 & 7 weeks)

Old 12-31-2004, 08:48 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

jmcummins3 HB User

My concern would be that I wouldn't want to go into labor on the plane nor out of town. That's why I'm not comfortable flying after 36 weeks and want to stay close to home. I called my doctor's office and she said the cutoff is 32 weeks, although I didn't ask why.

Old 12-31-2004, 09:32 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

kierrasmommy HB User

jm, I hope everything works out, sorry to hear about your parents health. I've heard they don't recommend it in the last trimester and I think I also heard it not recommended for the first trimester either...anyone know for sure, I'm 5 weeks pregnant and my sister wants us to take a flight to Arizona soon and is trying to convince me but I'm not sure if it's what do they recommend. I have a Dr appointment next week and will ask but wanted to hear if anyone else had any feedback.

Old 12-31-2004, 11:51 AM   #9
Veteran

Aunt-Bon HB User

I flew from NY to Ireland at 27 weeks and returned at 29 weeks. My OB said they generally don't want you to fly after 32 weeks.
8/11/04 via C-Section
10lbs 6 oz, 20 1/2 inches

Old 01-01-2005, 02:10 PM   #10
(female)

cutigergirl HB User

I flew several times-35 1/2 weeks was the latest into my pg and no one said anything about it.

Old 01-02-2005, 05:58 PM   #11
(female)

kdiez HB User

My doctor banned my flying after 20 weeks. This is his standard practice for his office. I think it's soon, but I will certainly do what he wishes. I would call yours and ask him what he recommends for your pregancy.

Old 01-02-2005, 06:31 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

jmcummins3 HB User

kdiez, what was the reasoning for the 20 week cutoff? I'm just curious. My doctor's cutoff is 32 weeks. I'll be flying at 25 weeks and that will be it for me, my last chance to say goodbye. I won't make it out for the services if it comes to that in the next several months. I'm glad to be going in January when they are still with us (hopefully they still will be in a week and a half). I convinced my sister to go and she also convinced my mom to go. My sister hasn't been out to visit them in a while and I think she would feel guilty if she doesn't go now. My mom should be there to support my dad and I'm glad my sister was able to convince her of that. My husband wanted to go too, but he doesn't have much time off and needs to save it for when the baby is born; he also needs to take care of my daughter, not to mention we don't have the money for all 3 of us to fly right now. It should be an interesting "family" trip.

Old 01-03-2005, 05:26 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kiera1595 HB User

I just got back from flying at 31 weeks. It was fine. No one said anything. It was just a bit uncomfortable on my back. That and my tray wouldn't come down all the way for my drink because of my big old belly!!

Old 01-03-2005, 08:08 AM   #14
(female)

jaybird75 HB User

Out of curiousity, for any of you who've flown while visibly pregnant, did you get any kind of upgrade offered to you, or did you just fly regular economy class? I'll be flying to a friend's wedding in St. John in late March/early April, at which point I'll be about 26 weeks and I was secretly hoping that even though I'll be buying a regular ticket, I could somehow wangle my way into business or first class....

Old 01-03-2005, 10:55 AM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kiera1595 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybird75
Out of curiousity, for any of you who've flown while visibly pregnant, did you get any kind of upgrade offered to you, or did you just fly regular economy class? I'll be flying to a friend's wedding in St. John in late March/early April, at which point I'll be about 26 weeks and I was secretly hoping that even though I'll be buying a regular ticket, I could somehow wangle my way into business or first class....
I work part time as a travel agent and I'll tell you this much. There is no guarentee that because you're preggers you'll get a better seat. I just flew yesterday and I couldn't even get my seat changed from an aisle to a window. Call your airline and tell them your situation. See if they can put in a request in their computer system for you to sit in a bulkhead seat. Those are the ones with the wall infront of them. It will at least give you more leg room. You can always try once you get to the airport check in and again at the gate to see if first class has an opening. They may take some pity on you, (try to look really pathetic) but I wouldn't count on it

Closed Thread