It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-30-2004, 02:09 PM   #1
Inactive

mommaboyz HB User
Whos going to breast feed for the first time?

I am just curious becouse im going to have my 4th baby in may and Ive never tried to breastfeed b4 but I think im going to this time.
I was just wondering if anyone else was nervous about this also?

Old 12-30-2004, 02:36 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Altson HB User
Thumbs up Re: Whos going to breast feed for the first time?

I'm also due with my 4th baby in March and I will be breastfeeding her as I have with all of my others. I wouldn't have it any other way. I love the bond, the feeling, the convenience and the positive health benefits it has for the baby. I also firmly believe to breast feed is an individual choice and whatever is most comfortable for Mom and baby should be the feeding method used. Pressure from anyone else is unwarranted. I do recommend talking to a lactation consultant (not a run of the mill hospital nurse). Most large hospitals have them or look in the phone book or La Leche League.

Along with the many joys, breastfeeding can be a bit uncomfortable and seem awkward at first. It can be tiring and you can tend to worry your baby isn't getting enough to eat. Some Moms tend to view their breasts in a less than positive way once they become the "milk jugs" and some Dads do as well.

My point is there are positives and negatives in breastfeeding just as there are in any of the things we choose to take on. You'll get out of it what you put in to it for the most part. I've had friends that rave over it and friends that couldn't stand it after a day or two. All of their babies are just fine.

Congrats on thinking about it, for me it is one of the best parts of having a baby.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-30-2004, 02:39 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

Altson HB User
Re: Whos going to breast feed for the first time?

I also wanted to say that even though I know what I'm doing, I'm always a bit nervous the first few attempts at it with a new baby.

Old 12-30-2004, 04:08 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

dizzygirl HB User

I am definitley going to breatfeed, and as you know, it is my first. I couldn't think of anything more natural, and healthy. I have had some friends though, whose babies never took to it, so I will keep an open mind, and hope for the best. I do kind of wonder what it will feel like though, I am not crazy about anyone touching my breasts (TMI)

Old 12-30-2004, 04:13 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

andrea03 HB User

I am going to pump. I have issues and anxioty about various things dealing with birth and breast feeding. I am going to bottle feed with EBM. I am still worried about that as well, but it's what is best for my baby.

Old 12-30-2004, 06:20 PM   #6

Alleyne HB User

*raises her hand*

I am going to breastfeed.. 1st time mommie here. Not nervous about it.. however I am not sure what I am going to do once I go back to work... and unfortunately I'll be returning to work after only having 4 weeks off with my baby. But it's okay, she'll be with grandmom. Will take regular breaks to breastfeed her since I live where I work basically and I'd be able to do it.

Old 12-30-2004, 07:20 PM   #7
Inactive

mommaboyz HB User

Are you all going to buy nurtsing shirts or bras or just use the normal clothes? Im not sure what I should do now.

Old 12-30-2004, 07:59 PM   #8
Inactive

Regina21 HB User

First time mommie here too. Alot of my family has been telling me to do it because it has alot of nutrients and vitamins that the baby needs. But I don't think i'll be breast feeding. Does it sound "weird" that I find it an uncomfortable thought? I've heard that if you breast feed you tend to lose the weight alot faster? I dunno...maybe it'll change once i'm holding him in my arms, but i don't think so...is that bad or do alot of women feel the way i do?

Old 12-30-2004, 08:41 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

cattieos HB User

i don't know if I will be able to breast feed or not, i have to take some meds and i haven't found out for sure if they will harm the baby through the milk. One will make the baby sleepy, but if you alternate with bottle feedings, it's not a problem. A nurse at my husbands work told him that if they breast milk was pumped and then stored for a while the meds would go out, but I just don't think I believe that, but we haven't been to the doc since she told him that, has anyone else heard that?

Old 12-31-2004, 04:01 AM   #10
Veteran
(female)

~PJ~ HB User

I haven't made up my mind yet. I know that if I do breast feed I will d*****atly be bottle feeding as well, so hubby and grandma and anyone else can feed baby too. I know how wonderfull it feels to feed a baby and I wouldn't deprive my husband of that pleasure. But if I'm to be perfectly honest the idea of breast feeding does not appeal to me one bit, I'll have a go and if I don't like it I'll express for a couple of weeks but I'm not gonna get stressed out about it.

Old 12-31-2004, 05:52 AM   #11
(female)

Quorlia HB User

Me Me Me!

I can't imagine why anyone would want to bottle feed! My mum couldn't breastfeed and I helped out with my sisters bottles and it was just soooo much messing about. Boil the water, let it cool, add the mixture, shake it up. ARGH! Compared to the open shirt, feed method that my aunts used with my cousins. Lots easier IMO. OK so there might be a few problems to begin with learning how to do it properly but babies and breasts are made for one another.

Kirsty
14wks

Old 12-31-2004, 06:23 AM   #12
(female)

fillorbust HB User

I'm in the same boat!! I have 3 children and tried to bf with the first, but he didn't want anything to do with it. The support at the hospital wasn't all the greatest either, so I figured I would just bottle feed. By the time #2 and #3 came around, it was just easier for us to bottle feed and that's what we did. This time I'd really like to give it a try to breastfeed or at least pump. I'm a little nervous about it too. I did find a great support group in our area this last fall while in nursing school. It's at one of our areas largest hospitals. That's where I am going to turn this time!! Good luck!!

Old 12-31-2004, 09:41 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

kierrasmommy HB User

I breastfed my daughter for 9 months, and although it had it's moments in the beginning when we were learning how to do it properly and there were occasions when I almost gave up, I am happy I perserveered and was able to enjoy it in the end. I wasn't able to attend my breastfeeding class I had signed up for because I was hospitalized with preterm labor and they were concerned if I did attend it would stimulate labor again. It is something you need to learn how to do, almost like riding a bike, once you get the hang of it, it is smooth sailing, but in the beginning you need to learn how to latch baby on, and ensure the baby latches on correctly, learn how to unlatch baby, watch for problems (cracked, nipples, blocked milk ducts, mastitis etc.) If I were to share one piece of advice it would be the advice the healthnurse gave me that made everything make sense...when you eat a sandwich, you really can only put the sandwich in your mouth one way for you to be able to bite it, you wouldn't be able to bite a sandwich if it were facing up and down from your forehead to your chin...but sideways from cheek to cheek you can, the same goes for latching on, you want to hold the breast like a sandwich and tickle baby's mouth gently with your nipple, when baby opens wide, move the entire nipple deep into baby's mouth while still holding like a sandwich. I think the first 2 weeks were really tough until both of us got in sync but after that it was a breeze, I am pregnant with #2 and I will definately be breastfeeding again. Goodluck to you.
P.S I agree breastfeeding is a personal choice, and noone should feel intimidated into doing it if they are really not interested in it. My friend tried it with her first pregnancy for a week and absolutely hated it so baby #2 she didn't even bother trying with. And I have other friends who loved it and wouldn't have had it any other way. Do what your heart tells you to do.

Last edited by kierrasmommy; 12-31-2004 at 10:00 AM.

Old 12-31-2004, 07:25 PM   #14
(female)

Mary0114 HB User

My best advice is to look up a lactation consultant. Many women feel nervous about breastfeeding and this nervousness can contribute to feelings of inadequacy about your ability to breastfeed. You can do it. The hospitals, at least in my experience, basically just hand you the baby and say "here, try and breast feed". Alot of women give up too fast. It may take a couple weeks for you and baby to get the hang of things. (no pun intended). A lactation consultant will give you the correct information and in case you have trouble getting the baby to latch on, they can help you with positioning the baby in a way that's best for you. IF YOU WANT TO SUCCEED WITH THIS, PLEASE CALL A LACTATION CONSULTANT. Also, it will help you to talk to other mothers who breastfeed. Good luck

Last edited by Administrator; 01-03-2005 at 10:58 AM.

Old 01-01-2005, 04:24 PM   #15
(female)

fillorbust HB User

ok, so how do you know if you need nipple shields or not. I've heard that usually moms that have never breastfed will need them. What's a good breastpump to rent/buy? I know medala is a good one. Is the double better than a single?

Closed Thread