It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-02-2005, 03:56 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

Spanish HB User
Question When did you stop working?

Hello everyone.

This is really a question for those of you who are near your EDD or have other children.

I'm now 11 weeks pregnant and haven't told my work yet. When I do tell them I'd like to be able to give an idea of when I'm likely to stop work. So a few questions here:

1. When did you tell your work that you were pregnant?
2. How did they react? (I do a reasonably senior management position and I'm really nervous about how people will react to my news.)
3. When did you stop working?
4. Do you think you stopped working about the right time or was it too early or late?

Many thanks for any views or advice.

Spanish.
EDD 24 July '05

Old 01-02-2005, 07:11 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

nyxin HB Usernyxin HB Usernyxin HB User
Re: When did you stop working?

most people will wait untill they are past the first trimester. 12-13 weeks. however, i think that you should talk to your HR rep first. as far as how people will take it, remember that this is not a terminal condition. if you tell people with enthusiasm, they won't be able to not act the same way. plus, by going through the HR department, you will address the proper channels first, rather than it get to the other management through the grape vine. congrats on your pregnancy!!!!
C-Section Aug 1st 08 with baby BOY #3
OMG!!!!!!!!!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-02-2005, 08:44 AM   #3
(female)

Kimberly HB User

I would love to get a good idea of when other mommy's are leaving work as well. I'm currently 21 weeks and my boss knows my due date is early May. I'd like to work as close to my due date as possible, but at the same time know I need time to get things ready around home for little one!

When is everyone else starting their maternity leave?

Old 01-02-2005, 09:11 AM   #4

Alleyne HB User

I'll be working until the day I go in to deliver. But unfortunately my company does not have maternity leave, so I'll be using my vacation and sick time... which together will be 184 hours only =(. I can take more time if I need but it'll be unpaid. So I am going to work until I have to go to the hospital and I am going to return to work once my vacation and sick time are used up... if all is going well.

I am 21wks now and still haven't told my regional manager... I am not going to wait much longer however... really I can't wait much longer, I can only hide so much now.. heh. I want to transfer with the company to another state soon after the baby is born, so I'll need her and HR's help to do so and don't want to wait to long.

Old 01-02-2005, 09:25 AM   #5
(female)

Kimberly HB User

Hi Alleyne,

184 hours is really rough, that's too bad that you have to use all your vacation and sick time I'm frome Canada so we're entitled to 17 weeks of maternity leave, with 35 weeks of parental leave on top of that. Basically I can take the year off and get 55% of my gross pay every two weeks. It's going to be rough compared to what I'm used to making but thank goodness DH has a good job!

The company I work for requires a letter of notice to be given 4 weeks before leaving. I'm really trying to figure out when to start my leave because I know I'll need time to get things ready around the house and just have some relaxing "me" time. I'm having a scheduled c-section so I'll know my dates a bit more once I have my next doctor's appointment on Tuesday.

Is this your first baby? This will be my second.

Old 01-02-2005, 10:29 AM   #6
Veteran
(female)

Spanish HB User

Thanks for everyone's replies.

It's very good advice to speak to the HR department first....luckily I am the HR Manager so I can just tell myself!!!! Luckily in my job I know what I'm entitled to without having to ask anyone else. Alleyne: Your situation sounds really hard. I feel really lucky right now because like Kimberly I can take up to a year off (a mixture of paid and unpaid).

I'm thinking I'm going to leave telling work until it's obvious - I can't hide it forever can I! Anyone else got any views on how long you worked for (or intend to work for)?

Old 01-02-2005, 10:33 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

nyxin HB Usernyxin HB Usernyxin HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanish
Thanks for everyone's replies.

It's very good advice to speak to the HR department first....luckily I am the HR Manager so I can just tell myself!!!! Luckily in my job I know what I'm entitled to without having to ask anyone else. Alleyne: Your situation sounds really hard. I feel really lucky right now because like Kimberly I can take up to a year off (a mixture of paid and unpaid).

I'm thinking I'm going to leave telling work until it's obvious - I can't hide it forever can I! Anyone else got any views on how long you worked for (or intend to work for)?
LOL that's funny---- i guess i would not have posted that if i would have known-- woops on my part!
C-Section Aug 1st 08 with baby BOY #3
OMG!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 01-02-2005, 10:46 AM   #8
Veteran
(female)

Spanish HB User

Hi Nyxin

No, it's no 'whoops' on your part, you don't know what I do for a job, but it did make me laugh as well! it's very good advice and I'd encourage anyone else to talk to their HR department first to understand their rights. Also your other advice about the way to tell people is very useful - I'm sure people react to how your put the news across so if I'm positive they will be positive too.

Thanks

Old 01-02-2005, 11:59 AM   #9

kdc2002 HB User

I worked full time when I was pregnant with my first (I am due with my second Feb 20th but we moved to another state and I no longer work) Anyways...my boss knew right from the beginning that I was pregnant. I worked at the hospital and had infertility issues so he was involved which is why he knew so early. I worked up until the day before my due date (my due date was on a holiday otherwise I would have worked that day too!) I was induced almost 2 weeks later but felt that I could have worked those 2 weeks as well. With your first you will have much more energy and I would plan on your due date being your last day. If you come early so be it. They will understand and be happy for you.

Congrats and Good luck!

Old 01-02-2005, 11:59 AM   #10

Alleyne HB User

To me it isn't really so bad. With my hubby's job I can take more time off if I want and still have a job to come back to... but in all honesty I only want to take needed time off and not any more. I like working.

This is my first baby... so when I have her maybe my opinion will change.. I don't know. But my situation is different from many, due to the fact I can return to work and still take several breaks throughout the day to feed the baby... she won't be in the office with me.. but will only be a 2 minute walk away at home. My mom is going to be a great help. My baby will be her first grandchild and she just can't wait. She is thinking of stopping work to be a full time Yaya (Grandmom in greek). I couldn't be more lucky. I told her that I was going to transfer money into her account weekly so she can have money of her own still.

My mom is the main reason I'd be moving from Florida to Maryland. She currently lives in Maryland and will only be coming down to Florida to help out with the baby until I get transfered up to Maryland. I was raised in Maryland so it won't be a huge life change or anything... and I find Maryland a much better place to raise a baby then Florida.. so all is good.. hehe.

Old 01-02-2005, 02:28 PM   #11
Inactive

mommaboyz HB User

I think its hard to tell. Beocuse like with me at the beginnig of my pg. (a different one) I was fine then as it progresses more I got in alot of pain with my back swelling ect. So you never know when youll need to be off. Of course I dont know what kind of work that you do and thay may make a difference. Id not worry abouyt telling them when you want to tak off and when it feels right for you ask your doctor. Good luck.

Old 01-02-2005, 04:00 PM   #12
Senior Veteran

jstpeachey79 HB User

Hi there. I worked until the day before i had both of mine. I also told my boss early with both of them. That was just me though. I had really easy pregnancies I neveer felt pregnant nor did I swell etc.
DD Born 8-13-04

Old 01-02-2005, 04:49 PM   #13
(female)

kdiez HB User

I'm leaving after my 24th week. I also told my employer I'm not coming back. I wanted plenty of time to get ready for the baby and to have enough energy to take care of myself. I haven't had that for a while and my pregnancy is suffering.
I think if you are open and honest to them and work out a schedule for your leave, everyone will be happy.

Old 01-02-2005, 04:55 PM   #14
(female)

heavenlly HB User

I didn't realize that so many people work right up until the day before they deliver! I'm 30 weeks and experience a lot of back pain and plan on taking 2 weeks off before my due date. I'm also from Canada and will be taking the full year off. I feel sorry for those of you who have to use vacation time and sick time to enjoy precious time with your new baby.

Old 01-02-2005, 07:01 PM   #15

FaithfulyWaiting HB User

I actually stopped working right around the time I found out I was pregnant.

Closed Thread