It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-02-2005, 04:31 PM   #1
(female)

KKSH HB User
blood pregnancy tests

I just wanted to find out if blood pregnancy tests are 100 percent accurate. someone told me that they are not. I took a blood pregnancy tests on dec. 12th and it was negative. I had my period from Nov. 30-dec. 5th and expereienced some bleeding on nov. 9-10th. I thought that I was having some sort of problem. However when i went to the doctor they did a blood pregnancy tests and itcame back negative. They did not find anything wrong. I took a home pregnancy tests on 25th because i was feeling sick for a week or so and that test was negative. I also took 3 more pregnancy tests in the past 3 days and they are all positive.

Can someone please give me some advice.

Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-02-2005, 04:58 PM   #2
Senior Veteran

jstpeachey79 HB User
Re: blood pregnancy tests

Well it sounds like you got pregnant after your blood test was taken adn the first pregnancy test was too early. Usually you ovulate 14 days (give or take) after your menstral cycle starts. Then it take usually 12-15 days (most likey 14) for you luteal phase for the egg to implant and a test to show positive.

If I were you I would call the doctor and get him to do another test to see if you are pregnant but usually if you get a positive home test you are pregnant so Congrats.!! Please call the doctor in the morning.

I hope this helped if not then I will try to help more
DD Born 8-13-04

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-02-2005, 05:41 PM   #3
(female)

KKSH HB User

Thank you peachy for your response. I am going to call the doctor in the morning. I really appreciate your quick response. I will keep you posted.

thank you.

Old 01-02-2005, 09:37 PM   #4
(female)

iwannabeamommy HB User

I agree with peachy if your home tests are coming back positive I would go ASAP to the DR. Alot of Hospitals do the blood test for cheaper than your DR will and you only have to pay for the test and not a visit fee too. Anyway I would go get another blood test in the morning

Good Luck

Oh and blood tests are usually 100% accurate but my DR said you still have to go through the whole luteal pahse thing first with implanation or else there wont be any hormone so you probably just got your test too early
EDD July 18, 2005

Old 01-03-2005, 02:00 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

Spanish HB User

Hi KKSH

I don't know anything about blood tests but my Dr told me that the urine HPT's are as accurate as anything she would do. She's never done any sort of test (blood or urine) to confirm I'm pregnant, she just said "if you've had a positive HPT then you are pregnant"!

I think blood tests show up the pregnancy earlier than urine ones so if you've had a positive urine test I think the blood test should also now be positive.

Some other people have said elsewhere on this board that you can get false negative tests if you test too early but you don't get false positives. Let us know how you get on with your Dr but it sounds like it's congratulations!

Old 01-03-2005, 07:13 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

jmcummins3 HB User

I agree with the other posters that if you got a positive home pregnancy test, let alone 3, you are in fact pregnant. The blood test was too early to give an accurate result. They are 100% accurate, however, you still have to wait until the egg implants, which is at least 10 days after ovulation, to get a positive result. Congratulations!

Old 01-03-2005, 07:23 AM   #7
Senior Veteran

laurabelle1317 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanish
Hi KKSH

I don't know anything about blood tests but my Dr told me that the urine HPT's are as accurate as anything she would do. She's never done any sort of test (blood or urine) to confirm I'm pregnant, she just said "if you've had a positive HPT then you are pregnant"!
My aunt's Dr did the same thing - didn't do a test since she got a positive hpt. However, he should have done a blood test because if he had then he would have realized that she was actually miscarrying early on.

Better to have a test done at the Drs. Better safe than sorry.

~Laura~

Old 01-03-2005, 09:57 AM   #8
(female)

BEcca1978 HB User

My sister has had 4 children and 4 blood pregnancy tests come back negative. I had a doctor tell me that blood pregnancy tests aren't very reliable these days. YES!!! You are pregnant!! CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!

Closed Thread