It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-02-2005, 03:50 PM   #1

bluefish HB User
Question about manual work during pregnancy

Hello,

I'm due in May so I am five months pregnant now. On Saturday I worked in the yard with my husband planting shrubs and small trees, basically landscaping type work. There were times that I felt a little tired, so I rested briefly but basically I wanted to get the work done. What I have noticed since then is that I haven't been feeling the baby move like I usually do. I usually feel her move around alot and especial at certain times. I have only felt smal flutters (I usually feel little kicks) since I worked all day Saturday (this is Sunday night that I am writing). My sister who has had two children told me that it is because working like that takes away from the baby and the baby has to recover. Has anyone experienced this same thing?

I called my doctor and she said that it is probably because the baby has moved into a different position and that it is not unusual at this point in the pregnancy to have changes in the frequency of the movement, but I didn't tell her about the working outside part. Let me know what you all have experienced. Thanks.

Old 01-02-2005, 07:12 PM   #2
Inactive

mommaboyz HB User
Re: Question about manual work during pregnancy

Hello I agree with what the doctor says not your sister. the baby doesnt need time to recover becouse you work also when your busy like that you tend not to notice the movement as much too. Try not to worry too much. your welcome to join us in the May mommies thread. and Congrats.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-02-2005, 07:24 PM   #3
Senior Veteran

Chrissi HB User

hi, i just wanted to add that when i was 11 weeks preg. with my daughter i lifted heavy bricks one day for a goo hour or so...i was in so much pain i called the nurse, but she told me things were fine just to take it easy.....she was right, my little girl was just fine.

and when you are working with your hands in dirt, wear gloves....there is a bacteria that you can contact that can be especially dangerous in pregnancy.....

Old 01-03-2005, 06:19 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

jmcummins3 HB User

When you are active, you are rocking your baby to sleep. I agree with your doctor as well that the baby probably shifted positions. I feel mine squirm some days and kick others. It's all normal. As long as you don't have any sharp pains or bleeding, you'll be fine.

Old 01-03-2005, 07:15 AM   #5

bluefish HB User

Thank you all for the feedback. I felt the baby moving around alot more before I went to bed last night and this morning. This is my first child and I just don't know what to expect, so sometimes I worry. Thanks again!

Old 01-03-2005, 08:53 AM   #6
(female)

BEcca1978 HB User

When I was prego ith DD my doctor gave me a note saying I could lift whatever was comfortable at work so I continued doing my normal job of lifting 75 lb crates of chicken (1 every 2 minutes) all day for a while. I don't think manual labor will hurt a normal pregnancy. As long as you are still feeling flutters and are not bleeding, I would say all is well. It is either what the doctor said or the baby was lulled into a comfy position and sleeping. Keep track of those movements. Good Luck!!

Closed Thread