It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-03-2005, 06:31 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Zayazmama HB User
What ARE Braxton Hicks?

Okay.....silly me.....I am close to 28 wks and have been having these coming and going pains and am not sure if they are BH or what. I talked to my doctors office today and explained the pains to the nurse. She told me to relax more, but if they continue then to come in and be monitored.

Location of pains: At the top of my uterus (or right under my ribs but I know its not the baby kicking me) and on my left side. It kinda goes back and forth.

Kind of pain: A dull ache at times, and then sometimes a terribly strong pain.

I never had a chance to have BH with my first, as I was fine night, and then went into labor at 28 wks and he was just too determined to be stopped. So I am kinda at that point where I really dont know what to expect.

So....for those who have been through both, does it feel really different, except for the inconsistency in area and time? My back doesnt hurt, so I know it couldnt be REAL contractions, plus its pretty sporadic.

Any ideas?

Thanks ladies!!

Old 01-03-2005, 07:23 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

jmcummins3 HB User
Re: What ARE Braxton Hicks?

Braxton Hicks feel like labor but the contractions are sporatic and do not get closer together, consistent or stronger as they progress. They generally come and go. Contractions feel like your uterus all of a sudden gets rock hard for a few seconds along with the pain or tightening feeling and then goes back to normal when the contraction is over. BTW, my back never hurt when I went into labor with my daughter, so that's not really a tell-tale sign that you're in labor. Given your situation with your son being born so early, I'm surprised they did not have you come in to be monitored if you are having any type of pains. Anyway, BH feels like mild to moderate contractions that are sporatic and don't get closer together or even out as they progress. If they do, that's what labor feels like, but the labor contractions get stronger as they get closer together and they don't go away like BH. Hope this helps.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-03-2005, 10:09 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Zayazmama HB User
Re: What ARE Braxton Hicks?

Okay, thanks a bunch!! I guess I better call the doc because these pains I am having don't even come close to feeling like labor, it just hurts. grrrr....

Closed Thread