It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-03-2005, 08:08 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

confused32 HB User
Valtrex and pregnancy

I am 36 weeks and my doctor just put me on valtrex for the rest of my pregnancy, has anyone else taken it while pregnant i am very worried that it might hurt the baby and not sure about taking it i havent took a pill yet im just not sure the doctor is right about taking it, i am having a c-section so is there really a cause for me to take it??

Old 01-04-2005, 05:47 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

jmcummins3 HB User
Re: Valtrex and pregnancy

That's what my doctor recommended if it comes to that. Typically, they are more concerned about a vaginal birth than a c-section, but if your doctor prescribed it, I would take it. It would be worse for the baby to get an infection if you don't take it.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-04-2005, 07:19 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Frynd1 HB User

1 out of 4 women have a viral disease that causes them to take Valtrex, and I am assuming that once pregnant, those women were prescribed Valtrex also. Doctor's tend to wait until the third trimester to prescribe it though. I believe that your doctor has you on it for 'just-in-case' purposes. I have heard that if your baby's head drops before they perform your c-section, then the baby is at risk for being exposed. It is better to be safe then sorry. Did your doctor want you to have the c-section just because of your viral infection? I heard that most women with the viral infection can have regular deliveries, as long as they aren't having an outbreak during labor. Either way, I don't think Valtrex will cause a problem in your baby, considering they prescribe it to pg women every day.

Old 01-04-2005, 11:35 AM   #4
(female)

Scooper HB User

I am not pregnant but plan to become pregnant in the near future. I currently take Valtrex everyday. I had asked my doctor about taking it when I become pregnant and she said it would be ok to continue to take it, since they would put me on it towards the end of my pregnancy anyway. I hope everything works out for you. Good Luck

Old 01-04-2005, 12:27 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

confused32 HB User

I am having a c-section due to it being my 3rd child and ive had 2 previous sections,it doesnt have anything to do with the infection alone. I have been doing alot of reading on it and it seems to be what every doctor is saying is best so i have started taking my pills....i just hope they do their job and the baby is safe and healthy.

Old 01-04-2005, 06:33 PM   #6
(female)

Mommy2Isaiah HB User

My doctor is putting me on it at 36 weeks, too. When in doubt, I always check up on the internet to see what random people have to say about it. Try that. Good luck!

Nicole
EDD 6/29/05
Isaiah 5/21/99
The way to love anything is to realize that it might be lost

Old 01-07-2005, 08:53 PM   #7
(female)

Mmshelll HB User

So glad to see other posts on this topic as I am 8 weeks pregnant and worried about this. Originally I read that the only pregnancy problems were if you had an ob during birth, but just read that if any outbreaks during pregnancy then baby can have low-birth weights and pre-mature delivery. Has anyone's doctor mentioned anything other than risks at birth? Thanks.

Old 01-07-2005, 09:28 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Frynd1 HB User

Mmshell - I never heard that having an outbreak during your pregnancy could caused premature babies or low birth weights. Is that a fact? I got GH without even having sex (a boy forced himself on me when I was 16) and I haven't done much research on it. I have been having outbreaks while pg though due to stress...

I figured I would be able to deliver vaginally...?

Old 01-08-2005, 07:39 AM   #9
(female)

Mmshelll HB User

THere is a short paragraph that says this in my book "Pregnancy Week by Week" .. not sure if true as it is the first I've heard of it. I'll look into it more

Closed Thread