It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-03-2005, 08:43 PM   #1

reijo HB User
"After baby" question........HELP!!!

I need some advice. My daughter-in-law is about to make me a grandmother again (in May) and it's absolutely wonderful. She is going thru a very difficult time right now due to problems her parents are having and due to the fact that her first child was born with a heart defect and there is an increased chance that this baby could also have a problem...........no likely, but possible.

Prior to finding out that she was pregnant, my husband and I scheduled a big summer vacation for both our sons and their families. Guess when our vacation is scheduled......6/11 and it can't be changed, at least we haven't been successful so far!!!

Her first child was born two weeks early. I know that doesn't mean this pregnancy will end early. She really wants and needs to go on this trip and is wanting to take the baby. Her due date is 5/30!

I'm concerned! I know that we're just talking about driving to the beach and the baby would obviously stay in the condo WITH GRANDMA and then they will drive home! She is so stressed about missing this trip that I'm really getting worried. I want whatever is best for the baby but also want her to be able to relax and just rest.

Can anyone tell me what their thoughts are about travelling with an infant this young? I haven't been able to find out anything in the books. I'm also afraid that she won't tell the doctor for fear that he'll say no.

Thanks for any help!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-04-2005, 03:41 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

MandyAnne26 HB User
Re: "After baby" question........HELP!!!

I know they don't advise very young infants to travel. I think a lot would depend on if the baby had any problems at birth, durring delivery, was a good weight, eating well, gaining well. Obviously if any problems arise your daughter would want to be close to her doctor.
Just really try to make sure she asks her daughter (if there are restrictions on very young babies flying the airline might even ask for a doctors note saying the baby is alowed). I've never flown with an infant before so i don't know the guidlines, but defintly make sure she has taken the baby to the doctor right before flying. Even for nothing else to make sure the baby's ears are clear...fluid in the ears can cause problems.

Old 01-04-2005, 05:22 AM   #3
Inactive

mommaboyz HB User

First off its so nice of you to be thinking of her and baby right now. Shes lucky to have you as long as the babys health is fine theres nothing wrng with it. Ive heard people say oh no dont take the baby anywhere for weeks or months ect. Its funny to me cause ive had 3 and taken them everywhere and there all fine. The docot wouldnt tell her not to take baby either. But if she hasnt had the baby yet for some reason I wouldnt go .I have the same due date as she does and I know I wont be going far right before mine is born but just after that I will go on an 8 hour trip with her to a family reunion. No worrys.

Old 01-04-2005, 05:31 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

jmcummins3 HB User

My brother and his wife had houseguests over the holidays and they brought their 4 week old newborn with them. I think if there are no health problems with the baby, it should be fine. The reason they say not to take the baby out for the first several weeks is because of germs and things they can pick up at the grocery store, mall, etc. If they are going to be in a car and with family, I think it will be fine and your daughter-in-law will appreciate the break to rest. Of course, she should ask her pediatrician, but I don't think it will be an issue as long as the baby's okay.

Old 01-04-2005, 06:35 AM   #5
Inactive
(female)

goody2shuz HB Usergoody2shuz HB User

As previous posters already have stated...exposure to germs is of most concern. I would advise you to have your daughter in law bring her own bedding for the baby as well as basinett. Also...I would request a non smoking condo and perhaps even bring own bedding from home. The major concern I would have is that not all places properly change linens. There have been TV documentaries that discuss the concern over hotel cleanliness so any precautions you can take to insure anything the baby is exposed to is clean would be best. Your daughter in law should not lie the baby down of any of the furniture or floor that has been utilized by other peope...have her bring a clean blanket to lie the baby on for changing etc.

With these precautions taken there should be no reason the baby cannot attend given that it is healthy upon release from the hospital. Reassure your daughter in law that her baby's health as her own is what's most important and that even if they were unable to make the trip she nned not worry about it...you will take care of everything. She's lucky to have a mother in law who cares as much as you...Goody

Closed Thread