It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-04-2005, 12:15 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Micheybell HB User
Weight Gain - How much did you gain?

I have read so many books and articles that state the normal and healthy weight gain to be 25-30 pounds during pregnancy. I started off at 105 lbs. before pregnancy and was sure I wouldn't gain much. Now at 36 weeks I'm almost at 45 pounds. I think alot of this weight is from water retention as my feet and legs look like stuffed sausages.

Can anyone relate or offer some advice on this issue. Also how easy do you think it will be to lose this weight?

Old 01-04-2005, 12:26 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Sue04 HB User
Re: Weight Gain - How much did you gain?

I started at about 115 and am now about 122 - I am in my 4th month. All that weight was gained in the past month (Since my last appointment).
Drinking a lot of water will help reduce the amount of water you are retaining. Along with eating watermelon. Trust me. Have or do you drink a lot of water? How about Watermelon? Do you eat that or like it enough to do so? Might help.
How much weight did you gain in the first 4-5 months? How tall are you? I am about 5-6.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-04-2005, 12:26 PM   #3
Veteran

Bella535 HB User

I actually barelly gained any weight. I'm 27 weeks and I gained 8 pounds. It could be that I gained more since the last doctors visit.

Old 01-04-2005, 12:37 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

andrea03 HB User

I am 34 weeks and have gained 15lbs. Between 32 and 34 weeks I have lost a lb. Everyone gains at a diffrent rate. The textbook amount is just that.

Old 01-04-2005, 05:24 PM   #5

sivaarar HB User

Pre pregnancy I weighed 118 lbs (5'6), and at 39 weeks I weighed around 138 lbs. I gave birth three days ago, and my weight has already returned to 121 lbs. I am breast feeding, and it has made my stomach go down dramatically - I feel I only have a few more inches before being where I was.

However, I worried myself SENSELESS over this during pregnancy. There really are so many hormones, and all it would take is seeing someone not pregnant on television for the comparisons in my head to start, and the fear of "what if i can't loose it afterwards" & the guilt of "but it's for my baby, why do I even care" didn't help!! I know that I was lucky with the weight gain, but at the time it felt awful. No matter how little or much you gain, everyone feels awful at some point during pregnancy.

But, here is my advice. Take a walk every day from today. Maybe one day you will only manage 100 m, but do those 100, and on the days where you can walk for a long time, enjoy it. Drink, drink, drink lots & lots of water. Cut your salt and sugar intake in half, and double your vegetable intake. Eat little & often, and eat as varied diet as possible. Don't restrict yourself, just make sensible choices.

You will be shocked at how much your body changes just from labour, and how well it recovers. Your body is an amazing tool - have faith in it.

Old 01-04-2005, 06:36 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

andrea03 HB User

oh I forgot to mention that I am on strict diabetic diet. That has helped a lot. Since finding out I am not gaining as much as I was before from month to month.

Old 01-04-2005, 07:06 PM   #7
Senior Veteran

laurabelle1317 HB User

Micheybelle - It is common for women that start out at a low weight to put on more weight thatn the average 25-30lbs. This may be why you have gained 45lbs since you started out at only 105.

~L~

Old 01-05-2005, 04:28 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kiera1595 HB User

Well, I will make you feel better by saying that I gained 65 lbs with my 1st! 45 of it dropped off in the 1st month without even trying. Now I am at 32 weeks and I have gained 32 lbs. Don't let the books get to you, or the fact that some women barely gain anything and go back to being size 2's in a month. We are all diffrent. I have seen women on here who have gained 80 and even 90 lbs. I had a friend who actually gained 100lbs. It happens. And as for retaining the water...drink More water. Sounds strange, but that's what does the trick. It helps to keep the blood flowing.

Old 01-05-2005, 05:04 AM   #9
Veteran
(female)

~PJ~ HB User

At 40 weeks I've gained 28 pounds. Seems like a lot to me but I'm trying not to get stressed about it, will just have to hava a little will power when this baby eventually decided to come LOL

Old 01-05-2005, 07:30 AM   #10

mpsweetie77 HB User

As of my last appt. this past thursday...I weighed 133 lbs! And I know i've gained a couple since then...my husband and I both agree that my belly literally looks bigger and bigger each and every morning. That means that at 35 weeks I have gained 30 lbs. Wow...and yes I do know that that's not so much all things considered, but i sure feel like a cow! And as for walking, forget it! It hurts my back sooooo bad to walk. Instead ive been going swimming (you should see me floating on my back...i look like an island!) Swimming on my back releaves all the pressure i feel constantly in my lower back and then when i switch swimming on my belly (with a floaty under my arms) it releaves the pressure in my upper back. I've found that swimming on my belly without a floaty thing is very difficult though...it's like i have this anchor instead of a stomach that is trying to sink me!

Old 01-05-2005, 09:37 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Micheybell HB User

Thank you all for your replies. I just returned from my dr. appointment and he believes that alot of this excess weight gain is from water retention. My legs and feet are swollen pretty badly. He told me to drink lots of water and keep my feet elevated.

I know alot of the weight I gained was my fault. I love to eat and didn't really hold back much. Guys thanks again for your info. I wish you all a healthy pregnancy and safe delivery.

SueCampbell - I am only 5' 0' and was a size 0. Guess that's why it's so hard for me to manage with all this extra weight. I do drink lots of water and love watermelon. I'll give it a try.

Old 01-05-2005, 12:36 PM   #12
(female)

Mary0114 HB User

I gained 50 lbs, but I ws high risk and couldn't even go for a walk. don't let the weight bother you. Most will fall off right away and the baby will have you running around. I put my daughter in the stroller and just walked everywhere after I had her and the weight came off.

Old 01-05-2005, 12:38 PM   #13
(female)

Mary0114 HB User

A tip too: Breastfeeding takes weight off faster because it causes contractions in your uterus and gets the belly flattened out much faster. It also causes your body to work harder because it has to generate milk, thereby burning more calories.

Old 01-05-2005, 03:18 PM   #14
(female)

afmom3 HB User

I gained 50 pounds with my first pregnancy and 45 with my second. It came off within the first few months. After losing the weight after my second child, my body seemed to go into overdrive and I actually ended up weighing 10 pounds less than when I got pregnant. I remained at that weight until I got pregnant this last time.
I truly feel that your body is going to do what it needs to do in order to support this new life. Just know that everyone is different and don't compare yourself with anyone - it's just depressing. I actually had a friend who would brag about how little weight she gained when she was pregnant - like it was some contest! Please do not worry, I know you are uncomfortable, but you will be amazed at how quickly you will pop back into shape.

P.S. Take a picture of your bare tummy. My DH and I laugh every time we look at mine! It was so worth it!

Closed Thread